2010 Gardening Club :D

Blah11

☼ Mummy to Amelie ☼
Reaction score
hey guys, I'm sure there was a gardening group before but i cant find it :wacko: so I thought I'd just make a new 2010 one!

So, the weather is getting better at last! It's beautiful shorts and tshirt weather in Edinburgh today so I got my spade and gloves on and ventured into my garden... OH.. MY.. GOD!
It's a state :rofl: We moved in last May and tbh, Amelie was too young to entertain herself so we sorta just cut the grass and that's about it. I've got to plant some flowers or something in my empty flower beds (I weeded them today :D), lift up horrible gravel stuff and lay down bark chippings, sort the edging out and I have a jasmine bush that is half dead and desperately needs trimming.

So.. any experts in the garden who can give tips?!

I was thinking about starting a little herb patch instead of flowers/plants in my strip of soil :shrug:?

No tips from me but we've got to do our ENTIRE garden :hissy: so i'll probably be following this thread.

Ive been growing my own veg so they'll be ready to plant out shortly now the weathers warming up, also have tons of bedding plants on the go in my mini greenhouse which im waiting on to flower.

Front garden isnt too bad, just needs a trim and a tidy but the back garden ... oh my!!

We have a massive concreted area which needs to be ripped up because its so uneven, we thought about getting it re laid but its such a big area we decided that we are going to turf half and lay a patio on the other half, the rest of the garden is so uneven we are just going to rotivate the lot and re turf .. so a pretty big job for us really!! Doubt it'll be finished this summer, but i want it at least so Brooke can play out and we can have BBQ's :lol:

Oh well atleast our garden is only teeny weeny! Most of it is grass with a rockery on a slope right at the back with trees and that in it too and the area we're going to bark at the front. I'd die if I had a huge garden to do :( Although I wish I had room for a veg patch and greenhouse! We looked into getting an allotment but the one just up the road from us waiting list is HUGE.

This is only the second summer in the house your in isnt it?

Our garden is average size i guess, not too big, but the way the garden path runs down the middle of the grass and theres a shed 3/4 down it gives me enough room alongside the shed for my veggies without taking up too much space.

Are you growing any veggies or anything in pots?

Yep, we moved in last May but tbh we did close to NOTHING last summer. I planted some cute tulip things in the front garden which came up recently and they look lovely.
I'd like to get everything done this month and next month so it's all done by June before the Summer.
Not growing anything at all cept a chilli plant thats in the house :shrug: We have a cherry tree though :D

Hey can I join??? I am trying to do up our garden at the minute to grow some veg :)

We're going to put some plants out in the next few weeks. I know we want to do some veg but we haven't really decided on anything other than tomatoes :lol: Our garden isn't huge so we'll need to get some pots as well. Stan wants to do an herb garden and I'll plant some petunias, marigolds and posies in my part of the garden :D

Well i was out in the garden earlier trying to lift those stones up :nope: It took me about an hour to lift 1/3 of them :cry: I've gave up for now.

Amelie was FILTHY again :rofl: she loves it though and she was helping me put the stones into the bucket :cloud9:

We've done some more today too ... we strimmed the jungle like grass so its short enough to dry out properly to mow next weekend, that was no mean feat :rofl: i dont think its been cut for well over a year :lol: (we've only lived here since Nov so it wasnt us) and we pulled a little waist height fence down, it sectioned the concreted area off from the grassed and i didnt like it!!

Trimmed back a massive bush, which looks like a completely dead lavender bush, but cant be sure its so manky :lol:

In my greenhouse i have, pea's, runners, tomatoes, peppers and red onions. Also have my potatoes but they are early crops so i planted them out last week

Ive had enough for today, you dont realise how tiring it is until you stop for 5 minutes :lol:

Btw we should all try to do some "before" and "after" piccys to show our work in progress!!

Oh I know, I'll take some pics tomorrow maybe :D I've completely weeded my 2 flowerbeds, just have the big rockery to do at the back and thats all the weeding done hooray.

Hit a bit of a problem with my stone/bark area.. We were trying to remove the first layer of stones but when pulling out some weeds, we discovered that the earth/stone combo has been laided on slabs :dohh: So thinking we're gonna have to dig the lot up and put the bark directly onto the slabs which is gonna be quite a big job, ugh.

Eeek, how far down are the slabs laid? Normal height and then the stones and bark are above gorund height? Bugger

How on earth do you manage to get things done with Amelie in tow? I cant do anything in peace with Brooke there. I think im going to ask my mum to ahve her for a few hours next weekend so i can carry on in peace :lol:

Hannah likes to help in the garden and she loves playing with dirt/mud so I'll probably just give her one of her plastic shovels and let her have it :lol:

Can I join please?

Because we are in quarters and move frequently there is only soooo much I will do in the garden now, because our last 3 houses I have got the garden looking really nice then we move so somebody else got to enjoy it :-(

Saturday I cut my grass and it looks ace now :happydance: hen yesterday we spent the day in a garden centre in Holland to buy my bedding plants etc. I got some little border type plants and some bigger plants. Once we dig our flower bed I'm going to plant the bigger plants in pots in the ground so I can take them with me when we move lol.

Today I have put my tomatoe seeds in trays and into a heated propergrator in the hallway. Once they are ready I going to do peas as well.

Has anybody got a heated propergrator? Any hints and tips?

Yeah, I just give amelie a little plastic spade (the mini spades w.e theyre called) and she digs up dirt and puts it in a bucket LOL She gets manky but she entertains herself.

The slabs are about 2.5inches down so not too bad really but its compacted soil mixed with stones :( PITA.

@ald, thats mad you can just pop over to Holland for some plants! Must be annoying getting the garden looking lovely and then having to move out, especially since you're not even selling the house. Atleast when we move if we have a nice garden it'll help us sell it.

Sorry Ald, i just grew my tomato plants from seeds in the windowsill in the kitchen :lol: as i do with all of my veggies. How does it work ... is it actually heated in any way or is it just because of the lid iykwim?

The bottom tray is heated, so it should make seeds grow quicker! Dh brough it for me a few years ago, but I just decided to try it! It seems to have loads of condenstation in it, so we will see if anything really grows lol

Wow well done on your progress ladies, we are having to clean out the bottom yard area of our garden on Saturday due me to seeing a rat on Monday, council coming tomorrow eeeek!

ooh can i join?

i love gardening! i moved house last august so i've been sorting out all the rubbish that the previous tenants left behind:growlmad:

i am very lucky that i've got a park and green space outside my front door so i have claimed the back garden as my own. a child free zone unless accompanied!:haha:

i'm making a wildlife garden. i love watching the birds and all the creepy crawlies etc think it's quite good/educational for my boy too (when he's allowed out there!) i've dug a pond and am thrilled cause already i have birds bathing in it and a frog in the garden!

can't wait for summer when all the flowers come out, i'll be able to see if my flower meadow/overgrown lawn turns out well.:happydance:

I've been back out this morning doing some weeding ... weeded all of the crap that was growing out from inbetween the cracks in the concrete .. dont know why i bothered as its soon going to be dug up but it was annoying me.

Have also been wedding/tidying the garden parth and am about halfway done which im pleased about. I know its going to be having a major uphaul shortly but it was a completel bombsite so id at least like it looking kinda tidy

Brooke tried to dig my potatoes up though .. she was squeeling throwing handfuls of mud everywhere :dohh: :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->