2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

What is everyone's opinion on ultrasounds? I had one at 5 weeks. I'm going to have another at 8 weeks. I've got people barking at me left & right saying that too many during the first trimester is "dangerous." They can "cause down syndrome." Blah blah blah.

Is there any truth to this?

I have yet to see any actual scientific evidence that there's any risk in first trimester ultrasounds. Down Syndrome is a chromosomal abnormality - it's programmed into the baby's genes from the start, nothing you do or don't do during pregnancy could possibly cause it. Some people just love a good conspiracy theory...

What is everyone's opinion on ultrasounds? I had one at 5 weeks. I'm going to have another at 8 weeks. I've got people barking at me left & right saying that too many during the first trimester is "dangerous." They can "cause down syndrome." Blah blah blah.

There is literally no way an ultrasound can cause Downs. Downs is caused by one of the gamete cells having an extra 21st chromosome (usually the egg). That's decided at the time of conception. Absolutely nothing you can do during pregnancy will add extra chromosomes after sperm meets egg. You're fine. :)

Wait... I'm sorry. Not down syndrome. Autism. A few people I know are saying it causes autism.

Wait... I'm sorry. Not down syndrome. Autism. A few people I know are saying it causes autism.

I've heard that theory too. That said:

I'm the Autistic daughter of an Autistic, the niece of an Autistic, the mother of an Autistic, the sister of an Autistic. And I'll be getting all my ultrasounds, tyvm. ;)

It's genes.

I'm the Autistic daughter of an Autistic, the niece of an Autistic, the mother of an Autistic, the sister of an Autistic. And I'll be getting all my ultrasounds, tyvm. ;)

It's genes.

Yeah, although there's no clear scientific consensus, I think the evidence really points towards autism being genetic. People always like to have something to blame, though...

Thanks for the reassurance about the flying, ladies. :) x

AFM- I about had a heart attack earlier. I took another FRER to ease my anxiety and for the first 30 seconds only one line showed up! Then the second line became noticeable, but it was incredibly faint.

I freaked out thinking I was losing the baby.

Turns out, it was the CONTROL line that was so faint. I did some googling and apparently when your hcg is really high, it will steal the dye from the control line to darken your test line.

Whew. Crisis averted.

LOL I POAS today too, CB Digi, got my 3+, that should hold me over until my u/s Friday :D

It's genes.

Yeah, although there's no clear scientific consensus, I think the evidence really points towards autism being genetic. People always like to have something to blame, though...

The most recent scientific studies do suggest that autism is indeed genetic, but of course, as you stated, people like to have something to blame. When it comes to diseases and conditions that we don't fully understand, people speculate. Unfortunately, poor reporting of scientific research contributes to it (e.g., a potential treatment for a specific type of cancer becomes "this scientist totally has the cure for cancer!")

AFM, not a whole lot new on the symptom front. I'm not quite sure if I'm being moody or if I'm just letting my fears get the better of me. I am terrified that at my u/s on Friday, there won't be a heartbeat or there will be some other bad news. Not feeling pregnant really is making my fear escalate.

It's genes.

The most recent scientific studies do suggest that autism is indeed genetic, but of course, as you stated, people like to have something to blame. When it comes to diseases and conditions that we don't fully understand, people speculate. Unfortunately, poor reporting of scientific research contributes to it (e.g., a potential treatment for a specific type of cancer becomes "this scientist totally has the cure for cancer!")

AFM, not a whole lot new on the symptom front. I'm not quite sure if I'm being moody or if I'm just letting my fears get the better of me. I am terrified that at my u/s on Friday, there won't be a heartbeat or there will be some other bad news. Not feeling pregnant really is making my fear escalate.

I'm feeling the same and my u/s is also Friday. You'll be one day ahead of me. :hugs: Good luck!

So what is everyone's plan on the coffee situation?! Are we giving up caffeine completely or just having one cup of coffee?

I'm having one cup in the morning (depending on what kind of coffee I have in the house, it's usually a bigger cup, more like 10 to 12 oz). A couple times a week if I'm really dragging or if I'm out to eat somewhere with no other good options, I'll have one caffeinated pop or iced tea. I'm still well under the limit, and that's good enough for me.

I've always been a one cup of coffee kind of girl, but it's still very vital to my functioning in the mornings. I'm definitely not giving that up. I also allow myself a can of diet coke as well. I'm usually VERY caffienated on a daily basis, so cutting down to just two servings a day is a huge for me.

People are idiots. Ultrasounds can't possibly change the number of chromosomes... I'm pretty sure that is determined the instant the baby is conceived. Many people get many ultrasounds for many different reasons. My doctor is against 3d ultrasounds because they last so long and aren't usually advised by a doctor - they are just for fun. But he said traditional ultrasounds are fine. I had 7 during my first pregnancy.

Should have read the rest of the posts. Just my opinion, but I think people have become obsessed with finding a blame for autism. There may be more people being diagnosed with it, but I think people had it before and just weren't diagnosed if you know what I mean. Anyway, my point is I don't think ultrasounds cause autism.

NellyLou, I just want you to know how happy I am EVERYTIME I see your profile picture! It is just so darling!

Do any of you have any probs with blood circulation? What I mean by this is like every morning my whole body feels weird kind of like it feels if u say led on ur hand after a while it feels kinda numb if u get what I'm tryin to say it takes a little while for it to go back normal after wakin, I'm sure its down to the circulation, any tips on how to prevent it?

I didn't hear from the midwifes office again today, and I even called. I guess I will call my normal doctor and see what they say.
I had some tile installed today for my bathroom renovation. Just grouting tomorrow and it will be another big part done.
As for coffee, I am not a coffee drinker, so I don't have to worry about that. I drink pop, but the most recent kind we got doesn't have caffeine, so no worries.

So glad I'm not the only one not giving up caffeine! They help keep my migraines at bay!

I'm glad so many of y'all are still drinking caffeine! I want that one cup of coffee at least and I was feeling a bit bad that I was still doing it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->