2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

Thanks ladies. Im thinking about demanding a strict 1 hour with me after birth and then they can do all the cleaning stuff. Also demanding no formula or bottle to help make it a bit easier for me to bond/get the breast feeding down. What y'all breast feeding mom's think? Good or bad idea?

I think it's a good idea not to have formula. I think it's rare that moms don't have enough milk.

Apparently the wash cloth thing doesn't actually help do anything with your nipples, although I didn't try it.

Tongue tie is when the little piece of flesh attached under the tongue is attached to the whole length or is too tight preventing the baby from sticking its tongue out far enough and latching well. It's apparently much more painful for the mom and much harder to establish a good supply.

I think it's a good idea not to have formula. I think it's rare that moms don't have enough milk.

Apparently the wash cloth thing doesn't actually help do anything with your nipples, although I didn't try it.

Tongue tie is when the little piece of flesh attached under the tongue is attached to the whole length or is too tight preventing the baby from sticking its tongue out far enough and latching well. It's apparently much more painful for the mom and much harder to establish a good supply.

I didn't produce any with my first pregnancy, dnt know why so il have to buy formula in case it's the same this time but I was hopin to express it and bottle feed it so we shall have to see what happens.

Breastfeeding with my first hurt like hell for the first week or so. It was the most painful thing, ever! But slowly it started to hurt a bit less, and I perservered. LO had to have a bit of formula (less than 5 mL after each feed), and I pumped and gave him that as well for the first little bit. He was bruised after birth, and as a result jaundiced. The poor kid couldn't stay awake long enough to nurse, so we had to supplement. Shortly after leaving the hospital though, we didn't have to supplement anymore.
I was lucky to not have any major issues with LO nursing. We had a Lactation Consultant come and see us in the hospital due to the jaundice, and she taught me several different holds that made it easier for LO to latch properly. I used those until we were well established, then found more comfortable positions for me. They also visited me once at home, but by that time things were going more smoothly.
I say the best advice is just to ask for help. Not only are you new to this, but baby is too. It just takes a bit of practice. Experienced LCs know this, and can offer different techniques, because not every position will work for everyone. I found the biggest challenge for me was the growth spurts. He ate every 20 minutes for days, and then finally settled down. While it was pure hell at the time, I'm glad we pushed through it. The exhaustion was not fun.
All that being said, within a short time, LO and I were pros at nursing, and it was one of the things I enjoyed most in the early days. I really did miss it when we weaned (which had to be done at 1 year due to an emergency resulting in my needing surgery and plenty of medications that weren't BF-compatable).

Wow. That was a mouth full! And I could have typed much more than that!!
On another note, I'm an orange today! This morning, LO and I were laying in bed, watching the video of this week on my Bump App. I paused the 3D ultrasound they had to point out the baby's body parts to LO. He listened, then made a face and said, "What the frig?!" It was hilarious!

Had scan on Tuesday which was bang on 13 weeks. Heard the dreaded words I am really sorry but I don't see a heartbeat. She got her colleague in to double check and she agreed. I asked for another scan to make sure again later that day and it was definite. Baby measured 10 and a half weeks. Had surgical management next day. Very sad and stunned, but will be trying again after next cycle. God bless you all x

I am truly so sorry to read this. Take care of yourself x

What's this debate on when the 2nd trimester starts? I always thought it was at 12 weeks. I posted on a DIFFERENT forum than bnb today & a lot of girls rudely told me it wasn't until 13 weeks.

I didn't produce any with my first pregnancy, dnt know why so il have to buy formula in case it's the same this time but I was hopin to express it and bottle feed it so we shall have to see what happens.

I'm also planning to express and then bottle feed so the OH can bottle feed the baby x

What's this debate on when the 2nd trimester starts? I always thought it was at 12 weeks. I posted on a DIFFERENT forum than bnb today & a lot of girls rudely told me it wasn't until 13 weeks.

Iv actually seen a lot of sites say 14wk. My ovia pregnancy app goes off 14week so I'm not sure it's weird because u think it would be split evenly surely (3month per tri) which would mean it starts at 13week :shrug:

I've been asking the same thing about trimesters. I didn't realize there were so many differing opinions. I've even seen 14 weeks. Personally for myself I'm counting the day I turn 13 weeks as the first day of the second trimester. Can't believe I'm almost there! Time is flying by.

lol geez who tweaked their hormonal butts? sounds like a few people need to lighten up a bit :lol:

And yeah, I was told too it was 13 weeks (or 13=3) because 40 weeks divided by 3 is 13+3.. so just to be conservative, many women consider to be in the 2nd trimester once theyve COMPLETED 13 weeks.. but seriously.. its all kinda qualitative, because we could technically give birth anywhere from 38-42 weeks

I've heard 12, 13, and 14. I get the impression that it's party down to what country you're in. I split the difference and went with 13 weeks, because that's when you've completed 3 months, but I can't imagine giving someone grief for choosing 12 or 14. Maybe I'd question someone who claimed to be in second trimester at 10 weeks or something... Congrats on reaching the second trimester!

I agree. Sounds like they need to lighten up a bit! I've heard that second tri starts anywhere between 13 and 14 weeks. By 13 weeks, most women feel they "fit in" better in the second tri boards, as the discussions are more similar to what they're experiencing. However, there's no reason for anyone to freak out over someone joining a bit early. Jeesh!
So I finally got around to taking a bump picture. Basically my "bump" consists mostly of my fat, which baby is pushing up and out. However, today was the first day that it actually looked like a bump and not just fat, so I took a picture! I'm hoping that now it will start looking like a proper bump, and not just extra large muffin tops!

Attachments

• IMG_3597-02.jpg
    IMG_3597-02.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 6
Oh, and here's our announcement picture that I'm about to post on facebook:

Attachments

• IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 21
Mine is the same. It's just all my fat squishing out. I thought I was looking kind of cutely pregnant today, til the sample lady at Whole Foods offered me some vodka ;) (I'm sure she just didn't want to assume. I hope!)

We were comfortable announcing at 12 weeks, we figured that was 3 months into pregnancy, therefore 1/3 of 9 months (yes, I know, you're technically pregnant for 10 months, but shhhh!)

My "bump" is mostly just my own fat being pushed out as well, but I'm finding it's definitely getting more firm. And my parents and SIL saw me yesterday and as I was walking to their car they all had huge smiles on their face, laughing at me! It's not the "big pop" but I guess it's definitely starting.

For breastfeeding, I guess I didn't have the 'normal' experience, but I will share anyway.

I had an emerg c-sec, and I was gassed so I didn't wake up until my son was already 2 hours old. They waited until I was fully awake before calling my DH to bring our son into the recovery room so I could meet him. I still wasn't really able to move my limbs, so I wasn't supposed to hold him yet. The nurse walked over pulled my breast out and just stuck my sons face on it and told my DH to hold him so he could reach. My son latched on right away and we never had any trouble.

My biggest breastfeeding tip, keep track of your baby's schedule before birth as it will be much easier on you to maintain that same schedule and make slow adjustments if necessary. You will be able to tell when baby is sleeping or active well before they are born. The nurses told me I was supposed to wake my baby every 3 hours to feed him, but I knew from before he was born that he would sleep for 4 hour stretches, so I waited and sure enough at 4 hours he would wake himself up and want to feed. My son has always been a good sleeper.

Every experience, every baby, every couple is different. Do what is right for you, and relax. Babies are very forgiving.

I feel like my bump has completely disappeared this morning :( I know that's normal earlier on, but is it normal at over 14 weeks? I don't remember it happening last time.

I feel like my bump has completely disappeared this morning :( I know that's normal earlier on, but is it normal at over 14 weeks? I don't remember it happening last time.

maybe baby just moved into a different position?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->