2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

I have never heard of it, but off to google.... although google tends to be evil when it comes to googling anything to do with health! If the tech isn't concerned, I would try not to be worried. GLad your little one is doing well!

I haven't heard of it either sorry glad baby's growing ok though n She still a girl :D

Snowbunnie, I read that it is really hard to diagnose and lots of times they are wrong... but even still it looks like everything should be ok.

I found this post on BNB but some of the ladies didn't come back to say what happened (isn't it always like that?!?). https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/gestational-complications/1787665-circumvallate-placenta.html

What is lucozade? In Canada - or at least here in Ottawa - everyone has to do the glucose tolerance test at 27 weeks. It's so horrible. They make you drink a horrible sugary orange drink. The good thing was that last time it made my dd jump around like crazy!!!

As for bump pics, we did ours around 34 weeks last time. I agree about getting it done when you still feel good about your bump lol. If I had waited until the end, I would have hated the pics!

We will be taking our DD trick or treating on Friday. I think Halloween is much bigger here in North America though. It's definitely not considered begging here lol. We have taken DD trick or treating every year. She was ten months the first year and we just dressed her up and took her to a few friends' houses to show her off. Last year we pretty much did the same. This year once she sees that she will get candy, I think she will want to go to a lot more houses!

NellyLou - Lucozade is like an equivalent of Gatorade but I like it more and it has been around much longer. In the UK, some doctors/midwives would have you do the GTT with Lucozade so you don't typically end up with the nasty effect that you have with the orange drink.

Congrats to chrislo4, sn0wbunnie!

What is the "nasty effect" of the orange drink? UGH do I even want to know?

Squiggles is moving so much today! Actually, I have heartburn for the first time in my life, I burped and acid came up and it really hurt! I guess it's related to all the new movement, though maybe it'll be incredibly hairy, me and DF have decided we will have a hairy child.

Also, 5 days to my wedding, and DF will become DH... I can't believe how soon it is, I'm so nervous!

Lol Missfrick! We have hairy children too! The orange drink is just really sugary. You have to drink it within a certain amount of time. It just made me gag because it was gross haha. The good thing was that it made DD bounce around all over the place!

I've posted in FB group already, but scan went well today. Adding another for the blue team Frenchie! We're expecting a little boy. He was keeping his legs closed the tech almost called it girl, but she finally jiggled his legs apart. Proper modest little boy!! <3

What is the "nasty effect" of the orange drink? UGH do I even want to know?

Squiggles is moving so much today! Actually, I have heartburn for the first time in my life, I burped and acid came up and it really hurt! I guess it's related to all the new movement, though maybe it'll be incredibly hairy, me and DF have decided we will have a hairy child.

Also, 5 days to my wedding, and DF will become DH... I can't believe how soon it is, I'm so nervous!

Wow good luck for the wedding :D

Am I the only one here here not bothering with the diabetes test? I had it with my first and just don't see the point really unless ur at risk of it more.

Your risk of GD isn't dependent on whether or not you had it in previous pregnancies... at least I don't think it is. I have to do the screening every pregnancy.

I'm not sure how much choice there is in the US, I'm sure you can refuse anything, but it's pretty highly regarded here as a necessary test.

I think the GD test is required here in the US. It's for the safety of baby and momma. If your producing too much sugar in your bloodstream, baby will deposit more layers of fat and it directly can affect his/her organs as well since baby can't regulate sugar yet. Also, if your blood sugar drops suddenly you can have a whole range of problems that can lead to a loss.
My boss got GD and passed out at work. Luckily a co-worker found her and got her to drink some OJ while 911 was called. No one in her family had ever had GD or regular Diabetes. This was her 3rd child and the previous too were fine. She ended up having to do injectibles for the remainder of the pregnancy and gave birth at 35 weeks.
Even though the orange drink is disgusting you can load up on protein and some complex carbs to soak it up. also you can eat non sweets right after to get rid of the taste. I brought a toothbrush and brushed my teeth during the last one. We have GD in the family so they tested me around 14 weeks. Just imagine orange soda that has gone flat and somehow concentrated.
You get 5 min to drink it up, I was told to throw it back like a shot..it's gross. You have to stay awake in the waiting room for an hour. If you throw it up you can't get your blood drawn and get to come back to try again. Bring water, snacks and something to distract you for an hour.

So I've been very quiet on here since the beginning but I want to comment on the GD test. Do not being snacks or water or anything to drink. It will mess up your test. Do take a good book or a tablet and if you eat anything that morning eat light. I had GD with my first. I took the one hour and three hour during my pregnancy. I had a two hour 6 months after Lucas was born and had the one hour at the beginning of this pregnancy. That's how important it is to make sure it's controlle properly. It is very important to know if you have issues with your sugar. The baby can grow to fast and you can start having issues with your amniotic fluid. I had an u/s every week from 32 weeks on and had non stress tests twice a week from 32 weeks. We delivered at 39 weeks and Lucas was 9lb 12oz. I was on a medication to help control and still ended up on mat leave 3 weeks early. It was that or start taking insulin injections. Anyway that's my two cents for what they're worth.

Btw we're team blue!

I ate scrambled eggs and toast both times before my GD screenings. I passed the one hour both times. The drink never really bothered me too much. Just tasted like flat orange soda. Also, my office sends the drink home with me after my 24 week appointment with instructions to drink it an hour before my appointment. They recommend refrigerating it to help with the taste.

There are different variations on the test. Some people have to fast (I did the first time) but some offices allow for a small protein meal before and some don't limit your intake at all but suggest that if you don't want to have to come for the 3 hour test you limit any sugar intake.

I think a lot of it depends on how you have been monitored thus far in the pregnancy and the standard practice for the lab/doctor. Since they do a blood draw at the beginning and one after an hour and they know the sugar concentration of the drink they really only need to see the difference between the two, it is a cleaner read if you have fasted but as I said it depends. You should get instructions but if no one tells you about intake prior to or after then definitely ask... no point in fasting if you don't have too! I wasn't allowed to consume anything, not even water, within an hour of having the drink and then I wasn't allowed to have anything until after the second blood draw. So I packed a sandwich and ate it in the waiting room right after the second draw. I'm hoping since it is a different doctor/office/lab this time I won't have to fast.

Flat, concentrated orange pop is a very accurate description!

So many boys, oh my!! Congrats ladies :thumbup:

Congrats on Team Blue Iluvredskins!

I don't remember if we had to fast or not when I did my GD test last time, but I don't remember eating either. It's not an optional test here. I don't know if you can refuse to do it, but it's not really that bad. The orange drink was just gross to me haha.

scan pics as promised :p

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/sarah18056/EPSON010_zps3647faff.jpg

https://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c322/sarah18056/EPSON009_zpsbf6e2893.jpg

thinking of calling him liam conor :D sorry for repeat posting for those not on facebook :p

Lol yeah I sure do know, 4 days left lol.
Also, didn't fit in my dress at my fitting today :cry:. Last minute alterations are in full-effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->