2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

I think I'm actually making a little colostrum. Holy crap, I'm really having a baby, aren't I?

MrsK it's crazy huh? I was lactating for about 4 years due to meds I was on (just a little milkiness) but when I got preg it stopped. Around 24ish weeks I squeezed to check, and collostrum! Clear fluid - still there now - whose idea was it to trust us with babies lol!

Actually, along these lines, my mom told me tonight that I should start "prepping my nipples" for breastfeeding. Does anyone know what this means? My nipples are usually flat/inverted, but since pregnancy they protrude, so I don't need to worry about that part... but what am I supposed to be doing to them now?

MrsK: I've had this problem for a while but it stopped for about a month and now it's coming back. My nipples are so sore. I figure I'll start expressing them in a hot shower like I did before to help with pressure.

Missfrick: I think your mom is referring to roughening your nipples up before birth but don't do it. It's what women would do back in the day to help get their nipples prepped before baby's arrival so breastfeeding wouldn't hurt so much. But seriously, I've heard horror stories of people getting mastitis, an infection with inflammation in their breasts from trying to toughen up nipples with luffa pads, etc. All I do is when I shower I take a wash cloth and gently rub my nipples so they can release some of that precious liquid and prevent any issues with being extremely sore. So far it's also helped with the nipples being sore from touching my bras and shirts. There is no need to rub yourself raw, baby latching and time breastfeeding will eventually toughen up your ladies.

Frenchie: Do you have any tips?

Any current mamas that BF have tips?

I woke up famished but at least I slept for 4 whole hours. So I have something super embarrassing to share. On days when I feel a lot of pressure from baby and on days when i am straining a little from a number two, I've felt a bit weird in my lady parts. So last night I decided to just feel down there and it felt like a nose poking out. Freaked me out. I called for DH to check me and yes, something very small was poking out. We grabbed a mirror and then I went online like a maniac searching for anything. I think I have some type of pelvic prolapse. I'm going to ask the doctor on Tuesday since it's not emergent. Nothing is "hanging out" it just goes away as soon as I lay down or stand up, thank god. I mean, I had the alien movie playing through my head where the alien opened it's mouth and a smaller mouth came out. I told my DH I felt like that and he laughed. So glad for the internet, I feel more at ease knowing it's something that can happen in pregnancy and there is nothing to be scared of. So with that, ladies do your KEGELS!! you don't want things poking out where they shouldn't. Hoping, praying and keeping fingers crossed mine will resolve after the birth.

The only thing that came to mind was what I have n that's a haemerroid but it cnt be that because it would be itchy etc so no idea.

Momma squirrel if it's something that seems to bulge down from your front vaginal wall it's likely to be a cystocele which is a type of bladder prolapse. Be very careful though that it's not anything from higher up like umblical cord et! I'm sure it's not though as you sound very sensible and I'm sure you would have clocked onto that.

Cystoceles in pregnancy are super common, the biggest issue is bladder continence. Ring pessaries help a lot and are safe in pregnancy. Ask you OB to take a look and assess it properly for you and see what she thinks will be the best strategy for you.

As far as any "nipple prep" there's nothing you need to do! There are all kinds of old wives tales about scrubbing your nipples etc to toughen them up but honestly just feed your baby and nature will do it all for you.

There are a couple of great resources I found super helpful before nursing my first- the first is a DVD called "from bump to breastfeeding" which is free in the UK or on youtube I think. It shows you exactly how to get a baby to get your nipple right at the back of their mouth on the soft palate. The second is a bit more hippyish but I found it helpful. It's a gold coloured book called breastfeeding:the food of love.

I read read read before nursing and it definitely helped me power on through some tough times and I can honestly say nursing is one of my very best favourite bits of motherhood! I can't wait to be there again. If any of you ever need any support please please call on me- I've sort of mentored and supported a few friends though nursing and am so happy to help :)

Yikes, Momma! I hope your OB can tell you more at your appointment, that would freak me out a bit too.

I need to get a good breastfeeding book. I have one, and it seems like it has a lot of useful information, but it's very self-righteous, every woman could breastfeed if she just cared enough and tried harder, blah blah blah... It annoys me now, and I bet it'll send me over the edge if I'm struggling to feed him... Maybe I'll just take a Sharpie to it ;) If anyone can recommend a good book that's a little more accepting of moms who aren't absolutely perfect in any way, let me know.

First birth class tonight! I'm excited!

I think "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" put out by LLL is the recommended one; I have it but haven't cracked it open yet.

I have some lanolin cream that I put in my hospital bag as that helps soothe cracked or dry nipples, but I don't know about prepping them. We got a book called "Breastfeeding Made Simple" by a friend of the family who is a doula. I had already established at that point but I read it for some tips. I thought it was pretty laid back, but I didn't read it cover to cover. They at least admit there are circumstances in which BFing doesn't work but it is definitely "breast is best", I think most (if not all) will be though. It did make me feel more confident in my decision to ignore the nurses and not wake up DR every 3 hours on the nose, but rather to let him set his schedule and just make sure he was waking up to feed at regular intervals- which for him was closer to 4.25 hours on day 1 & 2, but closer to 3 after that.

Momma, did you ever feel your cervix before? When it is closed and firm people describe it as feeling like a nose. Otherwise it's good that your appointment is just Tuesday!

I'm sorry, Momma, I don't really have any tips for toughening up nipples for BF. I wish I would have tried something (even though many women say there's nothing you can do) before DD arrived. I had some seriously cracked/bleeding/excruciating nipples after the first 2-3 times BFing, but no one at the hospital could tell me why. One nurse said it was because I'm very fair-skinned. Most books tell you that if you're hurting that much, then you're doing it wrong. But after 5-6 weeks of exclusively pumping (and therefore healing) I popped DD back on the same way as I had before and there was no pain. I might do a little bit of rubbing with a washcloth, but I'm really hoping that my nipples are already a bit toughened up from my previous breastfeeding.

I'm not too worried about whatever it is that pokes out while I am straining. Hopefully doctor will be able to answer the, What is it question I have.

MrsK: How was the class? We are going to a new parents class on Thursday evening. They even have a separate daddy class. I'm excited.

I figure massaging my nipples every time I shower will help a bit and that I won't crack during the first few days but I suppose everyone is different. I am definitely going to put lanolin cream in my hospital bag just in case. I'm going to find out if it's safe to use bag balm while breast feeding, if so I am buying a large tin to carry with me. I've seen it work wonders on the farm animals.

Good memory of the day: feeling little one dance around while Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody played in the car. Love this kid to bits already.

Class was great! We got to know each other and went over stages of labor, then watched a birth video that focused a lot on comfort techniques, as opposed to just being footage of the baby coming out. It was a lot of repeat information for me because I've been reading up, but DH found it really interesting, and I think as we get into more hands on stuff it'll be very helpful.

So I was changing in view of DH today, and I'm standing there in underwear and bra, and he looks up and says "Oh my god, you're pregnant!" I had to laugh. He said I've crossed the line from looking pregnant to looking really PREGNANT. I may not let him live this one down for awhile ;)

Hmm.. I haven't had any leaking and didn't know anything about toughening up my nipples. I'm a bit nervous about having BF issues with my already ginormous boobs. Unless this baby can unhinge her jaws, I don't know how she'll fit the whole areola in her mouth to latch properly!

MommaS- yikes about the poking out below! I hope it's nothing serious. Isn't it great when the baby recognizes good music? Lil Miss here also seems to enjoy Queen in the car.

MrsK- I lol'ed about your hubby's comment. Mine hasn't said much but I could tell he was taken aback the other day when he saw my stomach. I'm glad the class was good. I haven't decided yet if we're going to do one.

MIL is causing some drama involving my shower and some family issues. She and DH's aunt have decided we should have a Jack & Jill shower based on the lack of people to invite (my friends and family are being invited to my Mother's shower due to distance). It's so annoying because she loves to stir stuff for the attention and I really just don't want to deal with it. It's exhausting.
Got my pre-registration papers already filled out for the hospital. Next I need to schedule the hospital visit. It's a busy week for me with work, the OB visit (45min away) Weds, pediatrician visit Thurs (45min away), and my Boston ultrasound (about 3hrs with traffic). Fingers crossed that the weather cooperates!

I'm so glad I've been kicked out of any shower planning beyond being occasionally consulted for food questions. Anything my mother is involved in, I don't want to have anything to do with ;)

I hope the weather doesn't get too bad for you! We were going to go to the movies tonight, but we decided to go tomorrow instead because there's supposed to be a big windy snow coming. I wish winter would average out over a few months instead of just showing up with a vengeance in January.

I'll have to try playing the little dude some Queen, see what he thinks.

That would be funny if he likes it too!

I have been pretty much adamant about not wanting to be involved in shower planning. My Mother, who due to a very strained relationship my whole life, blew me away with the fact she actually was planning one. All I provided was the names and addresses of local friends I would like to see invited and the best dates for me since I work every other Saturday and live 90min away. I know the date and time and location. Super easy.
My MIL keeps pulling me in because of drama. She basically told one of my best friends to stop helping for no apparent reason and kept trying to have me intervene. I make DH deal with her instead since I don't think it's my place to be involved here and I just lack the time and inclination to deal with it. She doesn't get how serious Amelia's condition is or just how crucial it is for me to manage my stress.

That's the last thing you need. I'm glad your DH is helping to handle it.

Bookwrmgrl, the shower stuff sounds like a hassle! I'm glad at least 1 of them has been easy on you and that DH is helping out with his family.

MrsK, sounds like the class will help DH more than you but that is kinda helpful for you too! At the very least you are meeting people in your area at the same stage as you, right? Maybe you'll make friends and get play dates out of it.

Let us know how it goes today Momma!

I was thinking about the position baby is in the other day and the closest description I can find for it is Frank Breech...except she isn't breech, she is head down. During a number of scans we saw that she had her feet up near her head (not all the time, but most of the time), now I was reading that could cause hip dysplasia. I'm not sure if that is if they are born Frank Breech vaginally or if it is just from sitting in the womb like that for so long. I guess it is another question to go on the questions list for Thursday.

Has anyone started thinking about contraceptive for after the birth? Is this anyone elses (expected) last baby? DH brought up having my tubes tied last night, since I'm having a c-section he wanted to talk about the possibility of it. I don't think it is worthwhile for us though since I would still have to take the BCP for my endo...

Even though this will be our last child, I don't think I'll get my tubes tied. It's really rare in France for doctors to go ahead with it: you usually need a medical reason for it.

I had a hormonal IUD put in about 2 months after DD was born and loved it. I didn't have any periods (score!), and the only side effect was that I felt a bit nauseous the day after it was put in, but fine after that. I'll probably do the same this time around, especially since it's fully reimbursed by our healthcare.

This may be something strange to bring up now, but it surprised me after I had DD: I had bleeding (like a medium/heavy period) for 6 weeks after delivery. I was definitely expecting some, but not that much. I had to stay well stocked with maxi pads (no tampons after delivery) for a while, so if that helps some of you first-timers prepare and avoid any shortages in your stocks, I thought I'd mention it!

Frenchie-I've read that you'll have a period type bleed after baby is born that lasts anywhere from 2-6 weeks. Was yours medium heavy that whole time, or was it lighter at the end? I should probably start stocking up on pads though, thanks for the reminder!

Oh my, I have missed so much since I've been on vacation for the last two weeks! There's no way I can catch up. How is everyone feeling?

I have only read this last page, so can't comment on too much.

The bleeding after delivery is very heavy at first... very very heavy. It stayed heavy for a few days then was more period like. Near the end I just had to wear a pantyliner. Whatever you do, don't buy always brand pads for after delivery. The chemicals in them react when you have stitches :S

I have heard from numerous people that toughening your nipples doesn't do anything to help with the pain of breastfeeding. I didn't try it myself though so can't vouch.

As for me, I have felt like crap the last few days. Horrible sore throat and cough, and congestion. it's great. :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->