2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

Thanks Nelly-I usually buy always so I'll get something else for my stock pile! Sorry you aren't feeling well and I hope whatever it is passes very quickly for you.

Also, I read that you aren't supposed to overstimulate your nipples as it can cause contractions and early labor. Not sure if that's true or not, but I've stumbled across it several times so I'd guess "toughening" your nipples is a no-no anymore.

Oh my, I have missed so much since I've been on vacation for the last two weeks! There's no way I can catch up. How is everyone feeling?

I have only read this last page, so can't comment on too much.

The bleeding after delivery is very heavy at first... very very heavy. It stayed heavy for a few days then was more period like. Near the end I just had to wear a pantyliner. Whatever you do, don't buy always brand pads for after delivery. The chemicals in them react when you have stitches :S

I have heard from numerous people that toughening your nipples doesn't do anything to help with the pain of breastfeeding. I didn't try it myself though so can't vouch.

As for me, I have felt like crap the last few days. Horrible sore throat and cough, and congestion. it's great. :|

Iv had a cough and congestion for last 3 week so good luck with that :p

Foosh, I think the classes will be more helpful for me once we get into pain coping techniques. There are some things you just can't learn as well from a book as by doing them. And it'll be good to get DH and I on the same page. Even if they end up being more useful for him, he's learning important things that will help me (like how important it is that the birth room be comfortable and make me feel safe).

I haven't thought much about contraceptives yet. We started TTC right when our insurance kicked in, so I have no idea what my plan covers. It would be nice to do something I don't have to worry about, but I've always done fine on the pill, so I'll probably start out that way while I decide what to do. It's not like we'll be getting intimate in the recovery period anyway. I'll most likely just stay on the pill, though, since we want two, and the earliest I'd think about TTC again is around when this guy is a year old.

I'm really not looking forward to the postpartum bleeding! I guess that's the tradeoff for nine plus months of no periods. I'll stay away from Always, yikes! Does anyone have any good recommendations? I don't use pads at all, I have no idea which ones are good.

I think nipple stimulation will only bring on labor if you're already ready to go. I'm not planning to toughen my nipples up before the birth, but I don't think it can bring on contractions early. I've heard that it's the only at home induction thing that actually has some truth to it, though - something to keep in mind if any of us are 41 weeks and losing our minds. It's supposed to help during labor, too, though it could get a bit awkward...

Hope you're feeling better soon, Nelly!

I have the midwives and a pediatrician interview today. I really ought to make a better list of questions for the peds, I only have a couple written down.

I'm not planning any contraception after birth since I'm currently single :p but wen I do it will be same as usual the pill :D

Foosh: I have endo and after my last child (this is my first, but the plan is already in place) I am having everything removed except my ovaries (so I don't start early menopause) and that way no periods and no more endo worry (or at least significantly reduced). I suppose it depends on your doctor, where you live, health care, etc.

AFM I will be getting the copper IUD placed at my 6 week appt after birth. I cannot be on hormonal birth control of any kind (no NuvaRing, Implanon, pill, etc) because they cause blinding migraines for me, which put me at risk of a stroke. (Actually, going off BCP when I found this out is how we got in this situation in the first place, lol). I am also allergic to the Misoprostol (Cytotec) which causes you to dilate, which is why I didn't have an IUD put in before, but my doc said after birth it's better and he can do it then.

Welcome back Nelly I hope you enjoyed your holidays!

I had a bad day today, including yelling at a woman smoking in Walmart (you can't do that!) and accidentally kissing my mom goodbye on the lips, which then made me burst into tears because I was embarrassed.... sigh I want my hormones to level out already! Also, if one more person tells me how big I'm getting, I will scream. I have gained just under 35 lbs, I have been craving fruit, there's not more I can do! Also, belly button is flat, and there appear to be the beginnings of "crop circle" stretch marks around it... if I can avoid tiger stripes I'll be happy, though at the rate that this tumtum is growing I doubt it. I'm almost ALL belly, even was able to put on my prepreg jeans yesterday (couldn't do them up, but they got over the thighs and butt).

Hope everyone with colds etc feel better soon.

Thanks for the heads up about the bleeding and pads. Any brand suggestions to use instead? I've read and been told about the bleeding, but I doubt I'll ever be prepared for up to 6 weeks of bleeding in one go. Will definitely stock up.

I was thinking about BC recently too. I hate putting hormones into my body though which is why I never stuck to the pill, but I'll have to find something suitable. I'll do more research.

I don't blame you for yelling at her missfrick! I would just stand and cough rather than confront- bit of a whimp aha. I wish I was craving fruit. I'm trying to eat as much fruit and veg as possible but I think my current craving is chocolate!! Whoops :)

I probably will not go back on the pill. Ideally, I would like to start trying for baby #2 once this one is around one year old...and since it took over three years of actively trying to conceive before we got pregnant with this baby, I don't want anything to stand in our way. I know the doctor says the pill has nothing to do with it, but I was on it for so long and then it took forever to get pregnant...I'm convinced it played a part. I think we are just going to see how it goes...maybe get some condoms. We haven't talked too much about it, but I think we can practice "safe sex" for a year ;)

6weeks bleeding sounds very crazy to me, I don't remember it being longer than a week wen dd was born, actually I would have gone crazy if it was any where near as long as I remember it like yesterday and because I had to have stitches it hurt for a while every time I had a shower or went toilet so it definitely wasn't longer than a week and half at most.

Welcome back nelly! I was just thinking I hadn't seen you around for a while!

So I had my repeat echo yesterday and baby still has a normal heart so it's looking very reassuring which feels surreal and suddenly I feel like I might actually have a baby to bring home in a few weeks which is the first time I've actually thought that. They did however point out that the not so wee monkey is on the 96th centile and asked me to do a repeat GTT today, which I did and it's normal! I guess I just make big babies. Kind of glad the c section is already a given though!!

Hope everyone start feeling better soon! It's miserable being sick whilst preggie!

Now that I have a chance to to get online..it's been a long day. Made it to the doctors and he checked me out. All is going well. I gained only a pound since my last visit. The thing i am feeling that poked out was my cervix. baby has dropped down earlier than expected. When the doctor examined me he could feel baby's head moving. So weird. Since baby is so low it pushed more against my cervix and the unfortunate side affect is having it reach down near my "entrance." He really wants baby to wait until the end of February but we will see.

Sorry to hear about the hormonal day, Missfrick. People who smoke in Walmart deserve to get yelled at!

I had a good appointment. The midwife wants me to try the probiotics, but only one pill instead of two, but said if they disagree with me again to give up. Sounds fair to me, but I'll make sure to try them when I have a few days to not feel so hot just in case. Next Tuesday we have an ultrasound to follow up on the short femurs, and the Tuesday after that we see the midwives to discuss the ultrasound. I think I'll be getting the TDAP at that one, too. And I got the paperwork on the strep test - I sure hope I get to swab myself, I didn't realize there was butt action going on there :shy: Baby is head down, so that's good news! I think he's still a little transverse, based on where she was feeling and where I feel kicks.

DH heard somewhere, maybe at our class, that some people use TENS machines in labor, and he's really excited because they use them at his job and he can bring one home and use it for all my backaches and then when I'm in labor. Anyone here ever use one? I'm going to have to make up a backache for him, he's so excited about it ;)

We interviewed a pediatrician today, too. I'm leaving it to DH to research if he wants to look further, but I think we'd be happy with them.

Welcome back Nelly, I hope you went somewhere warm and that's why you are sick now... otherwise that is really sucky!

DrMum that's fantastic! Yay for rainbow babies :hugs:

MissFrick, that is an option we considered (I'm in Toronto, so no worries on health coverage). I don't think I can commit to a hysterectomy immediately following the birth though. It would be doubly devastating to have something happen to the baby and then also not have a uterus anymore. It's something I would consider closer to 40 I think, but I've only just turned 30. I will bring it up with my OB/GYN though, thanks!

Good news on your appointments Momma & MrsK. I've heard of TENS but not used one =)

I used a tens machine in labour with DS1. It was ok-ish I think. More of a distraction than a pain reliever though if I'm honest.....! Oh and get your OH to learn how to work the damn thing before hand as I nearly killed mine when he couldn't work it and I was feeling a little unreasonable whilst contracting like a beast!
I do remember the midwife asking "if I was feeling comfortable with my tens" and I rather unreasonably replied "it doesn't f@cking WORK!" And honestly I'm soooo not like that at all! I sent her a card afterwards with a gift voucher to apologise...!
So, maybe a mixed review at best from my end!

Haha! I'm sure the midwife has heard worse! He knows how to use it already... on dogs... And occasionally on coworkers. We'll make sure to do some human practice before labor starts!

Good to see lots of posts today.
We went to our 3D ultrasound today. Baby is still a girl, so yay!
I stopped by carters after while husband went to return something at wal-mart and I got about $60+ worth of clothes for $20. I was pretty happy. The drive home wasn't the best, as a storm is coming, but I'm glad we went.

I've used a tens machine for backaches and it worked well. My ex-husband got the machine in the divorce and I've been thinking about seeing how much they cost because the thing was super useful. Never thought about it for labor though.

Hope everyone that is under the weather is feeling better.

Glad for all of the good appointments too :) My OB visit is tomorrow. We're getting a major cold snap tomorrow and thursday so appointments are the only reason why I am getting out of the house lol

Went to work wearing a cardigan over a dress with leggings underneath. Have to dress in layers at the library because you never know what you are going to deal with heat-wise. 4 co-workers remarked that I've really popped out over the weekend!

Haven't thought too much about bc yet. Not sure about going back on the pill or trying a IUD. I am going to try and put together some padsicles in the next week or 2 for the freezer in preparation for postpartum. Is it bad that I am more freaked out and terrified about the postpartum things happening to my body than the actual labor?

I am going to try and put together some padsicles in the next week or 2 for the freezer in preparation for postpartum. Is it bad that I am more freaked out and terrified about the postpartum things happening to my body than the actual labor?

I was updating my Amazon wishlist (just always put things there so I don't forget about them) and put Tucks hemorrhoid pads soaked in witchhazel on it. I think they are the recommended ones for postpartum? But I'm not sure if they specifically can be frozen or if you have to make your own. I need to research this - I'm pretty afraid of what the birth may do down there. My poor vagina! I also need to do more research about tearing versus episiotomy because I heard tearing actually heals better....

Is it a common joke to ask the doc to add an extra stitch when they're tidying you up after? What if you're not joking? I'd love one extra suture I would think :winkwink:

I think my postpartum bleed was around 3 weeks both times. Not the best, not the worst. And OMG I wish I knew about the always thing before I had kids. I eventually figured out they were causing me trouble and switched to stayfree.

As for bc, I'll be getting an iud I think. Definitely don't want another kid, but afraid to do anything more permanent.

Haha, missfrick! Did you try on your prepreg jeans just for fun?
As for that extra stitch, it might mean different things to different drs. Some might just do the bare minimum to stop the bleeding, but some might do what you might call extra because they're considering your overall vaginal state. I'm pretty sure that's what the OB on call did for me after delivering DD, because I actually was a little too tight for a while.

I chose the hormonal IUD over the pill since it uses less hormones - they're released "locally". I got pretty sick for about 24 hrs when I went off the pill a couple years ago, so I wasn't looking forward to getting back on that train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->