2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

I think I'm more worried about post-partum stuff than the actually birth, too. Labour is only going to be a day or so (not counting really early labour that can happen for a while I hear), but recovering seems like it takes forever. I also use a menstrual cup, so I'm so not looking forward to having to deal with pads. I haven't used them in forever because they feel so gross, and I hate the feeling of the blood coming out after sitting or laying down for a while. I feel like I will be sitting on the toilet half the time after baby comes just to avoid that feeling. It's also not fair having to deal with sore parts down below and having blood gushing out at the same time. Kind of a crappy deal.

I'm not looking forward to the whole wearing a pad thing either. Although, I had to do that for a few months while trying to conceive because of all the procedures we had done. I'm planning on making pads using fleece and flannel I have left over from sewing projects. I know it sounds weird but seriously, I am worried about having a reaction to any chemicals on the pads they have at the store. I used to buy organic ones when I had to use them that were non scented because I just hate the weird perfume smell down there as well as i'd always get a rash. Also, someone mentioned a padscicle? What is that? I plan on buying a few large containers of Tucks that we'll keep in the fridge. I've heard it's painful to wipe after birth but it will get better with time. It's when I hear these things that I wish I have a bidet. Maybe I'll have DH attach some water device to the sink so i can just bring it over and rinse off in the toilet then air dry, lol.

We have our first childcare/new parents class tomorrow on base. It will be interesting. I'm really hoping there are more pregnant couples that show up. I'd love to meet up with local mommas that live close to me.

After I had DS they gave me a wash bottle, just a plastic bottle with a squirt lid on it, so I either filled it up with warm water just before I went to the bathroom or I would refill it afterwards just before washing my hands and have it ready (and room temp) for my next go. It worked pretty well. I used it a lot at the hospital as I was already sore enough down there I didnt appreciate the sandpaper they had disguised as toilet paper. This time I'm bringing my own toilet paper AND the bottle (because I kept it :haha: ) just in case they don't do that anymore!

ETA: My pp bleeding didn't last that long, a few days maybe and then was pretty light for another few days. But I got my period at 6 weeks pp (while exclusively BFing), so I guess that was the trade off.

I have to say, I was lucky both times after giving birth, I didn't need stitches at all and I was fine! Slightly stung a little when I peed after ds2's birth as I had a little graze but really nothing major. I'm hoping for the same again - obviously lol.
As for bleeding, I only bled for 2 weeks after ds1 but I bled for about 7 weeks after ds2. Not sure why it was so much longer that time tbh but it wasn't heavy the whole time, only for the first 2 or 3 weeks.
One thing that did happen at first is that every time I breastfed I would bleed a bit more as breastfeeding helps get your womb contracted back down. Again, nothing major but it surprised me as a first time mum!

Talking about the TENS unit, I have one that I use for my migraines and was told not to use it during pregnancy. Maybe it's different when you are actually in labor...but was told because it works with nerves (not muscles) it's not good for the baby. Maybe there is a certain point in your pregnancy that you can start using it again. I'll have to look into this, because I love it for backaches!

I was told by my midwife not to use a tens machine until after 37 weeks and only to use it on my back after that. They're recommended for use during labour here. I haven't used one before but my SIL did and really recommends it for pain relief during labour. I've ordered myself one to use this time and intend to sell it on afterwards. I'm hoping it will help me cope until I can get to the hospital and into the birthing pool :thumbup:

Has anybody started to drink raspberry leaf tea yet? I started yesterday at 32 weeks 1 cup per day. I can't remember when I'm supposed to increase my cups per day though. Any idea anyone?

I was told not to start the raspberry tea until 34 weeks and to drink 3 cups a day. I also am doing a regimen of evening primrose oil starting at 35 weeks. Just ordered everything from a holistic store that was recommended to me. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Yeah I use a menstrual cup too... actually I bought it and used it for my last cycle before conception, which KINDA bums me out because I'll probably have to buy the bigger size now.

Padsicles are just homemade Tucks from my understanding.

I think I'm actually the most terrified to do my first poop after giving birth, I hear it's brutal (esp. if you have stitches).

I think I'm actually the most terrified to do my first poop after giving birth, I hear it's brutal (esp. if you have stitches).

I feel like I keep saying this and I'm not sure if it is to different people or always to the same people, so sorry if it is always you guys (and please tell me if it is!!) :blush: Bring fresh fruit with you to the hospital or have someone bring it to you! The meals you will get will not promote #2 (little to no fiber), so things will be sloooowwww. My mum brought me a little bag of plums, nectarines and apricots and it was honestly the best thing anyone could have possibly done for me.

I was told not to start the raspberry tea until 34 weeks and to drink 3 cups a day. I also am doing a regimen of evening primrose oil starting at 35 weeks. Just ordered everything from a holistic store that was recommended to me. Can't wait for it to arrive.

What's the raspberry tea and evening primrose oil for?

I use a menstrual cup too, and it's the best thing ever. Every now and then I get caught out of the house and only have tampons, and even that annoys me. Pads, ugh. This baby better be cute ;)

I think the padsicles are similar to Tucks Pads, but they're soaked and frozen menstrual pads and maybe have more than just witch hazel. You can actually sit on the couch with one on, I guess, instead of just using it to wipe. Tucks Pads are just little wipes, I can't imagine how you'd get much out of them beyond the initial use on the toilet. We'll be installing a toilet sprayer for cloth diapers, so I'll be able to use that if I need it, but I bet the water is freeeeezing. I'll get a squeezy bottle too. And I'll make sure I have fruit and Colace!

My midwife was ok with me using the TENS machine for pregnancy backache, but I think I'll double check before I use it, since I'm not actually feeling the backache right now anyway.

The raspberry leaf tea tones the uterus, and makes contractions more effective. My midwife told me to definitely start drinking at least a cup a day (up to 4, I think) starting at 36 weeks. She doesn't mind me drinking Yogi Mother to Be tea now, which has raspberry leaf among other things, but I didn't ask how she felt about drinking straight raspberry leaf tea right now. Generally, unless you notice a marked increase in Braxton Hicks after drinking it, you should be fine. One cup just to see isn't going to send you into labor.

To be honest, having a newborn distracted A LOT from any bleeding/wiping issues. I had a shower attachment next to the toilet for the first 4 nights at the hospital, which was fantastic. Once I was home, just high-quality TP was enough. As for my first #2 after delivery, it wasn't so bad. I knew my episiotomy and tearing was nowhere near that zone, so I just tried to go without straining. The fruit is a great idea if the food isn't great at the hospital.

mummysmurf: Just like MrsK said, that the Raspberry tea leaf helps to tone the uterus to make your contractions more efficient. Evening primrose oil helps as well in making the cervix ripen slowly. It takes awhile since you have to build it up in your system. After you reach 38 weeks you can start opening the get caps and putting some on your fingers for perineal massage. I have heard about people popping holes in the gel cap and inserting them up into the vagina to help promote contractions but I don't know if I will do that. It is supposed to have the same effect as semen at that point.
I have heard so many good/bad reviews on the raspberry tea and using primrose oil but after a lot of researching I feel safe using them. I keep a food diary now so i can go ahead and add the herbal supplements to it so I can mark down if I get more braxton hicks or weird discharge.
I feel so much better today. Baby finally moved those little legs back up past the belly button. I was feeling so heavy down below because baby refused to move from it's frog position and pushing itself further into my pelvic region. DH noticed how much it made a difference in how I look as well so he came over to give my tummy a kiss under the rib cage and got a swift kick to the chin, lol.
I have an appt with Endocrinology tomorrow, hoping I can stay off the insulin. fingers and toes crossed. Then its off to the new parents class. :happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
The coordinator called me to tell me we will get a gift basket , so that makes me get even more excited. I wonder whats going to be in it..

Padsicles are supposed to be lifesavers. Here's the recipe
https://www.modernalternativemama.c...-padsicles-plus-bonus-perineum-healing-spray/
I put tucks on my Amazon list and am trying to decide about nipple creams. I want to have plenty of pain relief stuff on hand to help .
OB appointment went great. He is so fantastic and funny! I go back in 2 weeks. I will have 2 u/s between now and then so we will have a better basis to discuss birth plans based on baby's lungs and mass ratio. He decided to let me wait until my next appointment for the flu shot and tdap because I am feeling sinusy and didn't want to risk a reaction before my trip to Boston Friday. He laughed when I said being sick and being in the car for hours with my mother would "suck out loud".
Have any of you scheduled a NST yet? I guess I get weekly ones to be scheduled at my next appointment . My Dr advised me to wait on raspberry leaf until after my first NST

Good luck tomorrow, MommaSquirrel!

Sounds like a good OB, Bookwrmgal! I'm glad you're getting such good care.

My doctor hasn't brought up doing a non-stress test. I figured they were done around 38/39 weeks if you haven't spontaneously gone into labor. We're still planning to induce at the end of February is I don't go into labor on my own since this little one is big. Although, I am not sure why there is a rush. I figure my body will do what it's supposed to do. I was hoping I'd deliver on pie day, which was my due date but it's okay. I have accepted that having the little one sooner will be just as nice. can't wait to meet this little squirrel. :flower:

Yesterday's appointment went well I got the flu shot and Tdap both of my shoulders are still sore by the way.
I learned that baby is breech for now but still has time to get into position, also my ob says that she will induce labor at 37 or 38 weeks, due to my pregnancy being high risk, depending on baby getting in correct position so we can't schedule induction just yet I may need a c section if he doesn't get this right (I'm praying little boy gets into position in the next couple of weeks.)
Also baby is now 3lbs 8oz he's gained a whole pound in 3 weeks where I haven't gained a pound in about two months. My overall weight gain is still 14lbs which is great for post baby but it concerns me a little

I might have gained your weight, ladybrown. I'm at 31lbs over 30wks. Seriously though, if baby is healthy and your dr is ok with your weight, I would think you're good. Fx that baby gets into a better position!

Squirrel- I might be induced around pie day (or the ides) since protocol set by March of dimes for babies with ccam is 39wks but she might be too big to go even that long. There will be so many NST for me- I better get more books!

Oh crap I thought Tucks were inserts... ok I gotta research more I think...

I had a very quick appointment today. No waiting around for once!! Measured 32 cm, but dubious because she did it over my jeans. Still maybe a little on the large side of normal like she said. By no means am I concerned. Then listened to baby's heart and since we had no questions we were free to go. Next appointment is 2 days after my birthday.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->