2015 MARCH-MALLOWS... Due in March 2015!! Come join us!

We got a lot done today!
We bought some meal stuff for after baby comes: a big lasagna, shephards pie, chicken pasta dish, and some stuff for spaghetti. It's a pretty good start. I also got some travel packs of wipes that were on sale and a few packs of pads for post-partum. Those of which I haven't bought in years! They were all on sale, too, though, so it made me feel better. Still not looking forward to needing them.
We also got the ceiling fan up in baby's room, the crib set up and the mattress put in, and my big chair brought into the room. It's starting to look a lot like a nursery. I also came up with the idea to do some sort of name art in there, so I looked online and saw hanging letters with ribbon, so I'm thinking of doing that for fun.

I learned to knit with my grandma as a teenager, but only how to do the beginner's stitch and I could only make rectangles of material. It's not until I took some classes in high school that I learned how to do more complicated stitches and to make things like hats and mittens. After that I learned more interesting techniques with each new pattern I chose. I agree that Youtube helps a lot when you want to try something new or more difficult, but I'd recommend learning the basic stitch sitting next to someone who can teach you.

I also think I'm leaking fluid.. For the past few weeks, I've been having to change my pantyliner every hour. It's not urine and I'm almost certain it's not a type of discharge.

6 weeks to go! To be fair, as much as I feel like it's dragging now, the pregnancy has actually gone really fast with me already having a toddler to run around after.

Alright ladies, my shower was this past weekend and we got so much wonderful stuff. I'm going through everything and trying to figure out what we didn't get that are actual needs and not just wants. It'd be too much to list what we got, so my question is, what are the absolute must-haves to get through let's say the first month of baby being home? Also, I know diapers completely depend on size of baby at birth, we got 2 packages of nb and 2 of size 1, do you think I should hold off on buying any more newborn just in case baby is on the bigger size? (can you tell I'm a first timer!?)

Coffeepuffin, if you think you are leaking, call the hospital/ your doctor right away. You're more susceptible to infections and low amniotic fluid can be dangerous to the baby. I hope everything is ok!

MrsK, i'm glad you guys finally decided on a theme for the room!

We went and registered to do our delivery at the hospital this weekend. They used to give the form to our doctors who would give it to us to fill out then we could mail it in. But now you have to go to the hospital and either fill it out there, or take it home to fill it out and bring it back. Little bit of a hassle, but it's done!

Twinkie2, I'm glad you had a great shower! You don't need that much for the first month or so of the baby's life really.

- place to sleep (Crib or bassinette)
- diapers - two packs of each should be fine for now.
- sleepers/ clothes
- facecloths and toiletries and a bath
- burp cloths
- blankets and swaddlers
- mini little hats especially for at the hospital
- nail file
- thermometer - good to have on hand just in case
- feeding accessories whichever way you choose to go - bottles and formula if you are bottle feeding; breast pads, nursing bras, lanolin cream, nursing pillow if you are BFing.
- pacifier if you want one

Somebody add stuff if I have missed anything :)

coffeepuffin: Have you told your OB/midwife about leaking fluid? If it's clear and has no scent call L&D. If you have a tear in the amniotic sac it's very dangerous for baby because you can get an infection. If it's whitish and dries up on your pad/underwear it could be regular discharge. I personally had that happen a lot in the 2nd trimester and it's tapered off a bit. It's just the cervix constantly cleaning itself which is normal in pregnancy. If it's literally soaking up a pad go straight to L&D. I'm always one to go on the side of caution.
If it's pinkish/tinged red/white and thick it could be parts of your mucous plug. It does not mean you're in labor. The mucous plug replenishes itself within 24 hours.

Why is it I am feeling like this kid has run out of room? He/she has been literally stretching out my abdomen all morning. Maybe spinning around in there? It's painful and weird since I can feel the head turning and twisting down below. Tried to eat breakfast but failed utterly since little one decided it would be great to kick straight up into my stomach. =( so glad I emptied my bladder before I sat down or my couch would have suffered and I would have probably started bawling. Weird, when I had morning sickness I would cry every time I would throw up. Now it doesn't phase me as much but it's more annoying than anything else.

Okay to end this on a positive note... I went for a walk to the store yesterday with DH, it's about 1/2 mile away and it felt great! I ended up walking a little over a mile in total even though I am a slow-poke. Generally I have to stop walking around 2 blocks because BH gets so intense. I tried to "walk-through" them this time and it helped so much. I just wiggled my hips a bit every time I felt one starting to come on.

coffeepuffin: Have you told your OB/midwife about leaking fluid? If it's clear and has no scent call L&D. If you have a tear in the amniotic sac it's very dangerous for baby because you can get an infection. If it's whitish and dries up on your pad/underwear it could be regular discharge. I personally had that happen a lot in the 2nd trimester and it's tapered off a bit. It's just the cervix constantly cleaning itself which is normal in pregnancy. If it's literally soaking up a pad go straight to L&D. I'm always one to go on the side of caution.
If it's pinkish/tinged red/white and thick it could be parts of your mucous plug. It does not mean you're in labor. The mucous plug replenishes itself within 24 hours.

Why is it I am feeling like this kid has run out of room? He/she has been literally stretching out my abdomen all morning. Maybe spinning around in there? It's painful and weird since I can feel the head turning and twisting down below. Tried to eat breakfast but failed utterly since little one decided it would be great to kick straight up into my stomach. =( so glad I emptied my bladder before I sat down or my couch would have suffered and I would have probably started bawling. Weird, when I had morning sickness I would cry every time I would throw up. Now it doesn't phase me as much but it's more annoying than anything else.

Okay to end this on a positive note... I went for a walk to the store yesterday with DH, it's about 1/2 mile away and it felt great! I ended up walking a little over a mile in total even though I am a slow-poke. Generally I have to stop walking around 2 blocks because BH gets so intense. I tried to "walk-through" them this time and it helped so much. I just wiggled my hips a bit every time I felt one starting to come on.

It's funny u say that, I was just thinkin before baby must finally have run out of room because I felt him move a lot today and it felt different I could feel it in my side's and hurt more it felt like he was trying to turn and struggling. Today's the first time it's felt like that.
I feel so sorry for this baby he's going to be born with no name at this rate lol I went off calling him Liam conor and not sure I like either as seperate names any more. I just want a name that wen I say it or imagine calling him it sounds perfect and right. Why couldn't he have been a girl they are so much easier to name and find stuff for :p

I'm with the others, Coffee Puffin. Make sure you talk to your doctor if you think you're leaking fluid! Keep us updated.

Twinkie, I'm a first timer, too, but I'd hold off on buying more diapers just in case the ones you have don't fit your baby well. You may prefer a different brand. Someone really ought to put together diaper trial packs for disposables like they do for cloth diapers, so you can just get two or three of all the brands and pick a favorite without investing in a whole case...

Thanks for the essentials list, Nelly! I'm relieved to see that we either have all those things, or they're on my "buy before he's here" list. I would add car seat, too, since you can't get baby home without one.

They made you go to the hospital just to fill out a form? What a hassle! We have to do an orientation, but at least we learned something and got a little tour. Did they copy your ID and insurance card or anything, or just literally have you fill out a form?

I'm feeling the most stretched out I've been so far, but I still feel like T has room for somersaults. He's a wiggle worm, but he doesn't seem to be struggling yet.

I hope you can settle on a name soon, Mummy Smurf! Maybe just a short list of names you both like to bring to the hospital would be better?

Yes, carseat is a pretty major necessity lol!

Yeah, and the hospital we are delivering at is a 45 minute drive from our house.... But my doctor's office is in my office building so it makes it so much more convenient lol. We literally had to fill out all the info ourselves. Last time we went to the orientation and also had the form from the doctor before hand so we just dropped it off and went on our way.

I feel like my little T is stretching out a lot too! I am much more uncomfortable this time around. He somehow feels super low but is kicking my ribs at the same time :|

Mummy Smurf, good luck finding a name! I'm the opposite. If we were having a girl, I would probably still not have a name picked out. It's such a big decision!

Mummy Smurf, good luck finding a name! I'm the opposite. If we were having a girl, I would probably still not have a name picked out. It's such a big decision!

I'm still amazed that we managed to settle the name issue so early. We've had a girl first name for years, but I expected serious boy name trouble. I guess it's good to keep in mind that even if you can't find a name you love, you'd have to try pretty hard to pick an actual bad name. It's an important decisions, but the kid will be ok as long as you don't name him something downright cruel.

Theodore is a fantastic name :) We had it narrowed down to Theodore for a boy a few months after we met in 2008 lol, so I'm pretty excited that we are having a boy and actually get to use it. Girls names are much much harder for me.

It's definitely a good name :D If they're born on the same day, we'll have to set them up as pen pals or something when they're older ;)

i agree theodore is a nice name just not sure i could imagine myself shouting that wen i want him to go do something or what ever :D

Oh yeah, we're really in for it if we have to do the yelling his full name thing. Our last name is kind of outrageous, too, and we picked a long middle name. I figure we'll just put him in time out for the time it takes us to say his whole name ;)

Yep, hubby is Greek.... Our daughter is Kallianna Maria Andrea "Greek last name" and this Guy will be Theodore Christopher Dimitrios "Greek last name". We're not afraid of long names lol!

I feel much better about Theodore Constantine "Lithuanian Last Name" now :D And to be fair, they can easily just go by Ted. Now they'll have something to complain about us to each other when they're pen pals ;)

Did you guys see the news today that a court in France ruled that a family can't call their newborn daughter a certain name...... And that name?

NUTELLA !!!

Seriously! It's on the bbc news app :D

I saw that! I'm glad Americans don't have the monopoly on crazy names ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->