2017 Junebugs <3

Thanks yoshy. My concern is that I don't know what size he will be. Some people say they went straight to 0-3 month clothes or that the newborn size last a week. So I'm confused as how to proceed. I was thinking of getting very few clothes and see what his size is and then send my DH to get more of what we need. It all gets confusing with the sizes. How did you all resolve this issue? Did you just buy a bunch in two sizes and then return?

Also I am thinking of also getting a wrap of some sort. Should I get the Moby or a ring sling?

Another question is I have on my list a rock n play and a swing. Knowing well that this is not essential. But everyone seems to suggest they needed something like this. Is it over kill to have both? I plan on having the child sleep in a bassinest next to my bed and thought the rock n play would be for naps and the swing for entertainment and naps as it will have a mobile and lights.

we anticipated a bigger baby (and, like you, had been repeatedly told they don't stay in newborn stuff long) but my daughter was only 6lbs 2oz and nothing we brought to the hospital fit her! i would say have one or two of each size ready to go, but keep tags on any newborn stuff. if baby is big, you can return the newborn stuff. if baby is little, you will at least have something to bring him/her home in. then, you can buy a few more newborn things if you need to, and they'll grow into the 0-3 stuff.:thumbup:

i never had a ring sling but LOVED my k'tan (it's a "cheater" version of a moby - less tying and easier to put on).

we didn't have a swing for our first, but i hear good things about swings if baby is fussy. we might have gotten one if she had been more of a fussy baby. we used a rock and play for naps and general hanging out in the living room for about 4-5 months.:thumbup:

Jumpingo - in terms of places to put baby did you just have the rock n play or did you also have something else? I found a used swing online and am wondering what you all think of buying a used swing? Or I could just start off with rock n olay and see if I need anything else.

we had a playmat, with some things dangling, or we'd just use a blanket or quilt on the floor.

the only thing we refused to buy second hand was a car seat, otherwise we were/are open to used baby gear.

Thanks yoshy. My concern is that I don't know what size he will be. Some people say they went straight to 0-3 month clothes or that the newborn size last a week. So I'm confused as how to proceed. I was thinking of getting very few clothes and see what his size is and then send my DH to get more of what we need. It all gets confusing with the sizes. How did you all resolve this issue? Did you just buy a bunch in two sizes and then return?

Also I am thinking of also getting a wrap of some sort. Should I get the Moby or a ring sling?

Another question is I have on my list a rock n play and a swing. Knowing well that this is not essential. But everyone seems to suggest they needed something like this. Is it over kill to have both? I plan on having the child sleep in a bassinest next to my bed and thought the rock n play would be for naps and the swing for entertainment and naps as it will have a mobile and lights.

So regarding clothes, I actually didn't get anything before hand with Jesse, and my mum ended up going down to the baby store in the hospital, and buying me a pack of five onesies, and what we took him home in was an outfit that had been given to us by a group of DH's coworkers. lol.

Regarding swings vs. rock'n'play, my advice would be to wait with it until baby is born. We did end up getting a swing eventually, and it was a lifesaver, especially for naps, but I'm also glad we didn't spend a ton of money on it in the first place, because in actual fact, we were able to get a really great second hand one for free.

I think this time I'm going to try and borrow one from a good friend of mine who has now a six month old, who I suspect is going to outgrow her swing soon, and I'm hoping maybe she'll be happy to lend it to me rather than having to go buy another one (we gave our old one to Jesse's old daycare when he stopped using it).

We do have a baby bouncer, which got a lot of use with Jesse, and I'm anticipating using a lot with Embie too, and of course, the stroller and sling will both get lots of use inside the house.

If you're a first time mom, I'd highly recommend the moby, at least for the first 4-6 months, becuase they're super easy to use, and they're great for newborns, and up to about 6kg (13lbs) usually. Once baby is bigger than that they tend to be less comfortable, and you'd want to move on to the lillibaby full time (and of course, you can use the lillibaby from birth as far as I know).

our baby HATED the bouncer!:haha:
we had a moby and a k'tan. the k'tan is sized, so that's what i used, but my husband is bigger, so he used the moby. check out videos online to see how to put them on.:thumbup: i found the moby to be a lot of fabric to deal with. and if baby is crying, the k'tan was faster.

i agree though, maybe wait until baby is born and see what you want to use in terms of a bouncer, rock n play, swing. and what you still have space for!:haha:

I love the idea of wraps and slings but never had one with my son..never needed it either. This time i figure i will probably want one but i know absolutely NOTHING and some googling makes it an overwhelming process.
Taking tips and reccomendations now ...&#128521;&#128513;

I love the idea of wraps and slings but never had one with my son..never needed it either. This time i figure i will probably want one but i know absolutely NOTHING and some googling makes it an overwhelming process.
Taking tips and reccomendations now ...&#128521;&#128513;

It can be super overwhelming for a newcomer to the babywearing world. I was lucky to be introduced to it gently by my local babywearing group. That's how I recommend starting. See if you can get in touch with your local group already now (most areas have them), and go to a meetup even before baby is born, so you start getting to know people. And then once baby comes, you can meet them again, and try different options out before you buy. A lot of places even have lending libraries, where you can borrow a wrap for a few weeks or even longer, to see what you like.

Thank you for the advice. I will be a first time mom and everything is so confusing. I'm going to take the advice and wait on the swing. Plus I'm going to try to get one used if I do get one.

Yoshy - did you have a full sized one or a small portable one?

Also I can use the Lillibaby from birth, but should I get the moby as well?

And in terms of themometere is temporal okay or is rectsl much better?

Thank you for the advice. I will be a first time mom and everything is so confusing. I'm going to take the advice and wait on the swing. Plus I'm going to try to get one used if I do get one.

Yoshy - did you have a full sized one or a small portable one?

Also I can use the Lillibaby from birth, but should I get the moby as well?

And in terms of themometere is temporal okay or is rectsl much better?

I used a full sized swing I think, but as long as baby likes it I wouldn't worry. Same with the moby vs lillibaby. Don't buy a moby until you've tried out the lillibaby, and if you can get a second hand moby, go for it, cuz there's no difference.

Not sure regarding the thermometer.

We used rectal until he was old enough to sit still and let me use the infra-red ear one (like within the past year).

Is a diaper pail a good idea to get or is it not necessary?

we just use a metal trash can with a lid. and regular trash bags, because having to buy special ones is not something i wanted to mess with!:haha:

(for what it's worth, we did a combination of cloth and disposable diapers for 10 months, at which point we were travelling and moving from japan to the states. we are all disposable now because she outgrew the inserts and i haven't bought more yet.)

I think I'm going to buy a regular one too. Cause some of the others require special bags and I don't want to do that and some of the ones that don't look like regular trash cans anyway.

His everyone. I've not been on here since Christmas! My work and to other kids mean I have very little time to myself anymore! I'm on half term at the moment so thought I'd check in we how everyone is doing.

My two pennies for sounds, they're great! I have a stretchy which I would recommend for the first few months when they're so little and don't have head support. Then I have a woven so and a meitai. The woven take practice and getting used too but is so comfy one mastered. The meitai is easy to use and feels a bit like a woven so I like. I'm not keen on bucks as I find them too bulky. However, I also know everyone is different and my friend tried my woven and couldn't get used to it and really didn't like it. She ended up with a full buckle and loves it. The best thing is to get advice and try them. Your local sling library will let you borrow. I think there quite expensive so hiring first is great then you know what you're getting.

Hope that helps. I'll try to get on here a bit more often!

We have a diaper pail that we used with Jesse and I'm not planning on using it with Embie. It ended up constantly stinking up his room, and I hated it.
These days we get scented bags that mask the smell, and we try to remember to take them out as soon as we finish changing the diaper.

I do have one or two more bags for the diaper pail, so I might use both sets of bags together until I run out. We'll see.

I never bothered with a special diaper pail. We went with biodegradable scented baggies (kind of like doggie poop bags) you put the diaper in that before it goes into the reg trash bin. Fragrance makes me super sick though so im trying to find a healthier alternative.

Hope everyone is feeling ok these days!

Thank you all for all your comments. It's been super helpful for me.
I'm sure I'll have more questions soon ;)

I loved my diaper Paul. Even though the pail gets really stinky but that's only when u open it.

Hi Ladies, how's everyone doing???

I'm 31 weeks now, and so ready for it to be June already...

I'm exhausted and huge, and Embie is measuring around a week ahead. I found pics from Jesse's pregnancy, and I'm bigger now than I was 4 days before he was born, so yeah, uncomfortable and tired.

And to top it all off, I've been told I've got polyhydramnios (higher than normal levels of amniotic fluid), and I've got to get more scans done this week to see if they can determine the reason for it.

So far so good here. I'm almost 34 weeks and definitely getting restricted on what I can get done each day. Work has been driving me up a wall lately so I am more than ready for June to be here. Baby girl recently discovered my ribs so no fun there. I've been working on a bunch of freezer cooking and hope to have the freezer completely full by Mother's Day. Today I'm making breakfast bowls and banana bread. Nursery for the most part is done. Next weekend I'm hoping to start getting hospital bags prepped and get the car seat base installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->