27 weeker with menigitis?

BrittLeblanc

Pregnant 2nd trimster
Reaction score
Hey ladies. I have a friend who had her LO at 25 weeks like I did and she has been speaking with me for support. She called me today with something I never experienced with my LO. She said a few days ago they found that her LO had an infection and was having trouble breathing and had to be taking off of CPAP and placed back onto a vent. They just recently found that her LO has meningitis of the brain and that they would be doing a scan on the baby monday to see the severity of it. They told her it could cause the baby to be blind deaf of even possibly lose her LO. I told her I would ask my support group for some stories on others premies that possibly had this.

Oh God I have no experience but I hope everything turns out well for your friends little one x

we had this experiance when Ellie was 3 days old as she had an "episode" where she couldnt breath on her own, we were told if she did havie it the changes of her surviving were next to none as she was so so young, but she never had it just a really bad infection and needed antibiotics for a good 2 weeks xx

I don't know honey but I hope it turns out ok for your friend. x

Hi , I probably have not been on this site for over a year two but being fairly bored at work today decided to logon and look at the premature baby section and saw your meningitis title.

My Daughter was born at 24 weeks 1lb 9oz and at 2 days old was diagnosed with Fungal Brain Meningitis . Brain meningitis can be treated with antibiotics and in fact she was on them for 8 weeks before she was given the all clear, it just took a while to clear in her case. She also had pda and the combination meant she was back on the ventilator for a short while. We did not mind as it meant she could put everyhting into fighting the infection, being on the ventilator helped her.

She does have hearing loss and wears hearing aids, (we believe the long course of antibiotics damaged the hair filaments in her ears) but I don't see her having hearing aids any worse than my needing glasses. Anyway by the time she is 20 stem cell technology will probably be advanced enough to repair the damage. Sheffield Uni is researching it now. Hearing loss is only a possible end result and she hears most things with the hearing aids so talking will come.

A brain scan did show two areas of cysts, POSSIBLY a result of the meningitis, on her brain which resulted in a mild form of cerebral palsy. The cp mainly affects her walking and resulted in developmental DELAY. It

We only use on average 20-30 of our brain and nomally functions like walking or speech develop in the same area for all of us. However in a young baby these neural pathways are just being formed. As the baby develops and the neural pathways detect a damaged area they try and reroute themselves and form a different pathway over a non damaged area, So functions will come automatically to most babies can take much longer to achieve but there is a chance of no or very little lasting damage resulting from cysts on the brain. Equally if caught in time it may not result in any cysts at all.

Our Charlotte was 4 last weekend and walks using a frame but crawling is still her main method. However she is expected to eventually walk without a frame, hopefully in the next year . She also managed to stand unaided,(albeit for 20/30 seconds) for the first time last weekend. She is also only just starting to communicate and understand us and is probably at the level of an 18 month old but the important thing is that she is progressing.

She did not sit up until 16 months or crawl until 22 months but now does both with no problems. My point is that as regards milestones it does not matter how long it takes to get to the finishing line, it is crossing it which is important. We have just had to be a lot more patient and focus on the fact she is catching up although very slowly. we know she will get there.

Every baby is different and no outcome may be exactly the same but i just wanted your friend to know we have been through it too and there is hope. We have just put some new photo's on her website,(www.charlottelow.com) so pass it on and let her know that if we can be of any further help then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Ali- Thank you so much for the help. I'm glad to hear your LO is doing GREAT! again thank you for sharing that with me. My son also had pda and her son at this time as not be diagnosed with it.

Hi , I am glad to be of help as I know how scary a time it is.

And yes she is doing great for a girl who, at one stage, we were told probably had a less than 10% chance of surviving but Doctor's often give the worst possible outcome. She also had Hydrocephalus (water on the brain) but it just got better after a few months so no shunt was needed.

We are pretty confident Charlotte will be walking and talking in the next 12 months , her words and understanding are really starting to come . Once she does it will no longer matter that it took her 5 years to get there. You just have to be patient with your premmie and his/her milestones. They will reach them in their own time. She is a really happy bubbly little bundle of joy.

That is just amazing ali! Yall have been very blessed! Please keep me updated on the status of little Charlotte! I love hearing great and amazing stories such as this one with your sweet angel. My LO went through alot when he was borning. He's biggest problems was his little weak lungs. He stayed on a vent for 2 months. It took forever to get him on CPAP. He also had PDA but it closed up on its own like the doctor had predicted.

I just went and looked at her pictures on the website yall have! She is so beautiful. We never made a website for my son but I do have all of his pictures on my facebook but i think it's time for me to make something simlar to what you have. Her story is so very touching.

Update on baby- They say The Good news is that the dr feels that he has a good chance of survival. The bad news is, that he does have brain damage, the spinal tap showed inflammation in the brain, debree in brain, and spinal fluid in the brain, the meninginit...

The bad news is, that he does have brain damage, the spinal tap showed inflammation in the brain, debree in brain, and spinal fluid in the brain, the meninginit...

hiya, sorry to hear that but tell them not to give up hope. There is no guarantee what the outcome may be or how the Angel will come through it but she has a very good chance.

All I can do is relay our experiences with Charlotte to illustrate that there is hope. Charlotte had spinal fluid in her brain because the meningitis got into her brain via her spinal cord and this sounds the same. The brain scans showed spores all over her brain but the antibiotics slowly killed them . It did result in inflammation in her brain and swollen ventricles but there she beat it and is now a lovely little girl. She was left with brain damage is doing really well. she is a bright and intelligent little lady and although not walking or speaking yet she really does know her own mind and is very very determined.

Keep up with the updates and let us know if we can be of any help

all the best Alasdair,Samantha & Little Charlotte.

I have no direct experience of meningitis, but will say, having spoken to many preemie mums with varying experiences, there are no "usual" outcomes. Much of what consultants can know that that early stage is supposition and essentially guesswork. More often than not they will err on the worst case situation both when treating the baby and talking to the parents.

Fingers crossed your friend's LO recovers well.

Update on baby- They say The Good news is that the dr feels that he has a good chance of survival. The bad news is, that he does have brain damage, the spinal tap showed inflammation in the brain, debree in brain, and spinal fluid in the brain, the meninginit...

Hi Any more news on how the baby is doing ?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->