2nd stage car seat

Most infant carriers are now tested to 13kg (29lb). My advice is to keep your baby in a rear-facing seat for as long as possible, bearing in mind that your baby's head should not stick out over the top of the seat and if she is in a group 0+ seat, her weight should not be more than 13 kg.

Forward-facing seats are only designed for babies who weigh at least 9 kg, usually at around nine to twelve months of age. Be guided by your baby's weight rather than her age. If your child is nine months old but only weighs 8.5 kg, she should definitely stay in an infant carrier until she weighs enough to move to the next stage seat.

Bear in mind that travelling facing the rear of the car is much more protective than facing forward. In Sweden, it’s common for children to stay in rear-facing car seats up to the age of three or four. This is because of research carried out in Sweden which suggests that children travelling in cars are safer facing rearward until this age. In the UK rear-facing car seats for older children are not as easily available as forward-facing seats, although some car seat makers, such as Britax, offer interchangeable car seats for children up to 18kg (around four years old).

Found that for you x

we have just bought the maxi cosi tobi. I really wanted a recaro but after going to a huge baby shop we went for the tobi. I ordered it from kiddicare and got it for £136!! its £175 everywhere else. I've gotta recommend it over the priori, with the tobi you don't have to faff around at the back of the seat to thread the belt through, it just slots in the top and two catches flick down. So easy to fit in and out and really sturdy. I put my foot against the seats in the car and pulled the carseat and it didn't move an inch :saywhat:
It really is the best one, it reclines just enough to stop her head flopping when she dozes off and she sits great in it. We upped Lilia to the 2nd stage seat as she is also long and her shoulders were above the strap holes and her head was at the top of the seat. They must be able to sit unsupported for a fair amount of time and not wobble at all before they can be moved up. Here's a pic of Lilia in her new carseat...

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/aimyaimy/P1030198.jpg

Would definitely recommend going to somewhere and spending a bit of time playing around fitting them in your car and sitting her in them and seeing which you get on best with as the one you may like isn't always the best one for you (i was sooo in love with the recaro!)

hope this helps

I was going to mention something.. but lulu just said it. Make sure that their shoulders are AT OR BELOW the holes for the shoulder straps.. if they outgrow that, it's a safety hazard and they will need to be moved. As for their legs getting too long, that doesn't really matter.

I have the Britax one, but here it is called the Roundabout. I really like it. I moved Bren to it a month or so ago. He always HATED the car, and now with this one he falls asleep. It sits up higher and he can see more and I think that helps.

kaci - thank you so much for finding that, thats sooooooooo helpful, thanks again honey. she's certainly not ready to move up, i think i'll keep her rear-facing one for as long as i can, all you want is for them to be safe, and from the advice she is safe atm in her current one.
lulu - fab fab advice! thank you honey! so useful to no how others have got on. will def. go to mothercare and see what fits, though you have just made me fall in love with the tobi, lilia looks just gorgeous in it, and from what you've found out, it does seem them best :) was wondering what the difference was :)
Marchbaby - thank you so much for highlighting that point, as i said to kaci atm shes ok in it, but certainly something to look out for! thank you :)
Sam - so glad brennan is loving his new car seat, i remember how much he hated his seat before, so great to no he's liking the car now :) thanks for the advice sweetie x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->