3 year old tired all the time

caz_hills

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

After some advice please.

My son is nearly three and is tired all the time. He sleeps a good 11.5-12 hours at night and at home has a 2 hour nap every day too. He goes straight to sleep for his nap but at bedtime he lies there for a while before sleeping so maybe it's 11.5 hours rather than 12.

But in the day he is tired. Sometimes he lies with his head on the sofa and just stares off into space. Sometimes he says he is tired. I pointed it out to nursery and they see it too - they say the other day he sat down on a tire whilst the other kids were running about.

He has also started doing this sucking action when he gets tired - ike he is sucking his thumb but doesn't have his thumb in his mouth. He also rubs my hair or his eyebrows, like he likes the softness maybe!

He was unwell with a virus (the dr's didn't know what it was and said virus) in March and never really recovered. He hasn't been himself since which makes me really sad :cry:

Is this normal? Perhaps it is and maybe he is having a very long growth spurt? x

My thought would be is he anaemic? If he's been ill then it's highly likely as he diet probably wasn't that great while he was poorly.

That's what we think and the nursery do too. But saw the dr and she said she would rather wait until we have tried to get him better as they don't want to put him through a blood test. But I'm just keeping looking after him :( lots of cuddles x

That was so unhelpful of the doctor, is there another you can see? Some magic cream meant my daughter sat happy as anything when she had her blood test, her tiredness has improved so much since iron medicine etc. If you really dont want to go back then a children's multivit would probably help with anything that he is a bit low on x

Thanks - I've seen three doctors now! I've got a vitamin for him too and does eat a balanced diet - although he is a really slow eater. The dr checked him bet thoroughly but we agreed that in three weeks if he is no better I will take him back. I have gt mysef all in a pickle about it as he has been unwell for 8 weeks - not really ill but he has changed and it worries me x

I would if thought a blood test would of been their first port of call if I'm honest as it's such an easy way of finding out if it's still the virus or lack of iron etc.
it's not nice for them but it's over so quickly. DD's had loads now so doesn't worry about them but the times that were easiest was when she wasn't feeling 100%.

3 seems incredibly young for them to say its post viral and not to consider anything else.

Eta: it takes a whole for the vitamins to start taking effect.

I feel-mothers instinct - that something isn't right and feel like I'm bugging everyone about it. But I will wait and then if he is the same we will get the blood tests done. X

I'm pretty shocked that they are unwilling to do a blood test, with the excuse about a virus from March? That was several months ago, and he's still not recovered! I'd say its very likely a vitamin deficiency of some sort, and they'd get quick answers with a blood test. That's so frustrating!

I know! It is annoying. But now im at the point where I don't know if he is abnormally tired or whether I'm worrying unnecessarily. He dropped his nap in January and now sleeps for two hours again and is tired by 10.30 am. I'll monitor it for the next two weeks and if not take him back again - and try the blood test x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->