4 Leaf Clover IVF / ICSI Buddies

Oh cupcake I'm sooo sorry. You're in my thoughts hun.

xx

Ladies I need some advice. I have been thinking all day about our way forward.

DH thinks I am going crazy (which I am at the moment, but it will pass) and that I am not emotionally stable enough at the moment to continue with another round of ICSI straight away (ie next week).

Now, normally I would agree - but we have a bit of a problem. As of 1 Jan 2010, ICSI will cost us $10K a pop. At the moment, it's about $3K a pop due to government rebate. So if I go straight into another cycle - we get to have another go at the lower cost. We could even potentially have some embies to freeze, which means that if Round 2 doesn't work, we could have FET before Xmas. So this effectively gives us 2 goes before the government funding cuts out.

My only concern with starting Round 2 straight away, is that I don't feel like I am physically in top shape. I have put on 6 kg since wedding (1 stone) and although I am still within normal BMI range, I just feel a bit blah. I have been comfort eating big time since m/c last year. I have not exercised much this year and 1st round of ICSI didn't help with that. So I wonder given I have PCOS, if this weight gain is causing me to be insulin resistant and hence egg quality is low. So if I go straight into ICSI again, will my eggs just be yuck again and will it be a waste of time?

If we decide to give it a few months to try work on emotional and physical health (for both of us) - we will effectively be 'experimenting' (ie Round 2) at a much larger cost ($10K) and also I will be turning 33 in Feb 2010. However, we both may be in better physical shape, which can only be a good thing.

Thoughts?

Hey hun. :hugs:

From what you say you sound pretty fit and active and I don't think a few pounds is anything to worry about. I think I'd be inclined to go for it, not just cos of the cost but I think I would feel that I needed to be doing something rather than waiting. Make sure you give yourself time emotionally though.

sending lots of :hugs:

xx

Well strangely hun, just as you were writing this I was writing on your journal about focusing on something other than the crap that is the present. I think perhaps thats what you should think seriously about doing so I agree with Mrs G. You could start being uber healthy right now and lose 3/4 lb in the next week easy, not that it sounds that there is a problem with your weight but I know exactly how you feel about wanting to be in the best shape, i have lost some wieght for this round! I honestly dont think waiting will make any difference apart from burn more holes in your bank balance. You may be surprised that focusing on something so quickly after your devastating week will help you pick your spirits up and have some hope. Have a think about what you will feel if you wait for 3 months, surley you will just worry and be upset for longer, if you move on quickly thiss time in a month and a half or so you will have some more renewed hope for a positive BFP :) I personally think it will help you recover quicker given hubby is away! XXX Ultimately its all your choice hun but I wanted to start my FET asap after my failed ICSI (not quite same senario as you) and yes it helped me forget XXX

I agree with the girls hun - you can start eating healthy and doing a bit of gentle exercise now (walking around the block etc..) and you will feel healthier in no time.

I know that I really stress about money - and if it was me the added cost of doing a round in January would put more pressure on me than the IVF itself.

But as the others have said hun - you have to be able to emotionally deal with it - and we will all be here for you whatever you decide.:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

bx x x

Cupcake.. i would just go for it... you are in healthy range for BMI.. I am classified as obese with a BMI of 30... you can do it.. go hun :happydance::happydance:

:hugs::kiss:

Hey all.

Brambletess, is it all on for Monday? FX

I've been absolutely parched since starting stims and have had the headache from hell. You know one of those you get when you drink a really cold drink, except this one doesn't go away! Have drunk loads of water and am spending my whole day weeing!!

xx

cupcake- i agree with the girls. the money side of things might stress you out even more, you could be lucky again this time and your sticky bean might stick. it will give you something to focus on. surely the doctors wouldn't let you go again if you weren't in good health or if they had worries for you, so they obviously aren't worried, so if you can pet i'd say go again xxxx

Mrs G-your headache sounds awful, hope it goes away. can you take anything or is it a side effect. x

I was like that mrs G and to be honest i think part of it is due to stress getting used to the injections, but i was parched for a couple of days, your body gets used to it though :)

I don't really like taking tablets (oh the irony, as I pump myself full of old lady wee!!) but I use one of those headache stick thingys. That and gallons of water seems to be working.

xx

I do feel sorry for anyone who just randomly comes on these boards looking for hope and advice for their upcoming IVF.......... we may scare the life out of them saying that part of the treatment is to "pump yourself full of old lady weeeee!!!" hahhahaha.......my fault! hahaha

LOL, but you gotta laugh your way through this cos otherwise you cry right?!?

Oh cupcake so sorry that it didn't work out this time its so crushing and my heart goes out to you x x

after my miscarriage I just wanted to get on with IVF ASAP but you have to feel ready for it as we all know how draining it is. Also the money issue is a big factor. Good luck with what you decide.

Well I have just had trigger shot ready for Monday. In at 730 so early night for me tomorrow. Had massive panic attack just after trigger, shaking and trouble swallowing, not sure why. Think I find all the drugs a bit scary. Feel better now. But very thirsty and lots of twinges

Hope every one else is well.

Oh cupcake so sorry that it didn't work out this time its so crushing and my heart goes out to you x x

after my miscarriage I just wanted to get on with IVF ASAP but you have to feel ready for it as we all know how draining it is. Also the money issue is a big factor. Good luck with what you decide.

Well I have just had trigger shot ready for Monday. In at 730 so early night for me tomorrow. Had massive panic attack just after trigger, shaking and trouble swallowing, not sure why. Think I find all the drugs a bit scary. Feel better now. But very thirsty and lots of twinges

good luck for monday hope it all goes well and they get lots of good quality eggs :hug::hugs:xxxxxxxxxxx

Oooh, exciting!! Hope you're feeling better hun. Got everything crossed for Monday. When is ET?

xx

Hi cupcake

I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs:

I had a MC after IVF#1, and all I wanted to do was jump straight back in to IVF#2. My clinic wouldn't let me undergo another EC for 3 months, so I had to have 2 normal cycles before I was allowed to start again. Reason they gave was that my ovaries needed time to recover from the procedure. I did go for my second cycle at the earliest opportunity, but with hindsight, I wasn't psychologically and emotionally ready for the possibility of a negative outcome - which we eventually got.

Ideally, I would strongly recommend you give yourself a few months break, as I found the negative result from the second cycle, harder to deal with than the MC - and I think it's because I wasn't psychologically in the right frame of mind. I can understand why you're so keen to get straight back into your next cycle though. Is it possible for you to pay for your next cycle up front, before the price rise, but then start it in the new year?

Hope that helps and you start feeling more like yourself soon ... Oh, and regardless of when you start your next cycle, I'd definitely get into something that focuses your attention. I've started a slimmming class - not because I've got a lot of weight to lose (BMI approx 25.5) but because it gives me something else to concentrate on, and it'll make sure I eat healthily, and hopefully be a few kilos lighter come the start of my next cycle...

xx

Thanks everyone. I think I will go into cycle 2 as soon as possible - mainly for financial reasons. Unfortunately Maz - we can't pay now and do it later. They bill you after EC - so date on receipt is what counts.

AF has still now showed - it's sucked all w/end I have been sitting around waiting for m/c. Still not here - not sure what to expect - nurse said it will just be a heavy AF. But did get AF pains this morning, so maybe tonight she will come. Would rather it didn't start at work tomorrow that's all!

Thanks for your support everyone. Until AF arrives my LO is still with me.

I think thats a good decision for you hun. Although I totally agree with what Maz has said, she made a lot of good points, and she knows more than me since she has been in your shoes, i am inclined to think that regardless of your state of mind a negative result is hard to take, so doesnt really matter if your ready or not really, every negative is a right shitter, the pain just comes at different stages.

I was mentally prepared for this FET - totally mentally prepared, and although I am not upset now even expecting my neg result, i cried for 2 days when they told me about my embies not really making the thaw - it hurt so much I cried and cried and i was mentally ready - i couldnt have been anymore upset than i was!

All waiting would do would mean there would be even more pressure on you to succeed since the cost would be higher, you may be slightly more ready in your mind BUT you will have more pressure to succeed since the costs are higher............A very, very difficult decision, but when i have put myself in your shoes i know i would have made the exact same decision as you.

Bring on the next round and with each day we all get stronger.......crickey we will all be hard as nails by the time we get these babies ahahahahaha XXXX

Brambletess, i wish you all the luck in the world for EC!!! XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->