40 week midwife app

storm4mozza

Mom of 3 :)
Reaction score
Has anyone ever actually had their 40 week midwife appointment? I went over due with my first child but he was born 6 hours before my 40 week appointment (he was born at 40 + 5 days) so I know I was going to have a sweep that day but it didn't happen.

I have already been told that I will not be offered a sweep tomorrow (40 + 4 days) as it's not my first kid and I won't be eligable for a sweep until the week after (41 + 4) ... that's 3 days before an induction is due.... so now I am wondering when they will book me in for an induction, I know it won't be until 42 weeks but do they book you in advance? This is my 3rd child and I have 2 kids in school, I am a nervous wreck.

I have never heard of not been offered a sweep on your due date or within the week after because it's not the first baby. Was it your midwife who told you this?
Typical induction would be booked, I would believe even more so seen as you will be at the nearer side of 41 weeks x

I have never heard of not been offered a sweep on your due date or within the week after because it's not the first baby. Was it your midwife who told you this?
Typical induction would be booked, I would believe even more so seen as you will be at the nearer side of 41 weeks x

Thanks for the reply, the midwife said my sweep wouldn't be due until 41 weeks, I forgot to ask why but I looked on NHS website and it said because it's not first child. I am just convinced she won't come on her own :/:cry:

I've been told they won't offer sweep until 41 weeks if it's second+ child. I have a final growth scan at 39+3 tomorrow and antenatal after so I plan to find out exactly what their plan is after that and how long they will let me go over. My mum lives in Aberdeen and I'm in preston, and she's coming down to watch my daughter and help out so I'm keen to know when she should travel!

I've been told they won't offer sweep until 41 weeks if it's second+ child. I have a final growth scan at 39+3 tomorrow and antenatal after so I plan to find out exactly what their plan is after that and how long they will let me go over. My mum lives in Aberdeen and I'm in preston, and she's coming down to watch my daughter and help out so I'm keen to know when she should travel!

I hope all goes well. I am ok if baby comes before Monday, as Dad is home with his car, however next week Husband is back at work fully quite far away and will be all alone and Dad goes back to work (somewhere in the country he works away) :/

All this about not being offered a sweep until a certain week... I don’t really understand. It’s so different everywhere, but really, is it not YOUR healthcare and YOUR choice? As long as you are full term you should be able to say “I’d like you to do it today please” and they should do it? There’s no research stating it’s harmful
Once you’re term?? I just think it’s silly. The mw there in the uk sound very bossy. Our mw care is based on educating the mother and empowering her to make her own choices in Canada!!!

All nhs antenatal care is midwife led, unless there is some reason for you to be under a consultant. Even then they just tend to swoop in at the end of appointments and scribble in my notes for about 10 seconds. That's just my experience of course! I don't know what would happen if I asked for a sweep, but the midwives are bound to follow trust policy unless there's a reason not to, so it's not like they're just making their own decisions. I guess it's just a totally different way of things being done, and I'm sure it differs from nhs trust to trust as well.
Storm, I really hope it happens for you by Monday!

I only went over due with my 3rd but every pregnancy I was told I could have a sweep at my 40 week appointment. I think it varies depending on where you are which is ridiculous really, good luck x

Im in the uk and i was offered a sweep at ds3 40week appointment altho refused it at the point but went into labour naturally a day later but had a sweep when entered the hospital going from 5cm to 7cm so it was painfull lol but it speed things up xx will holefully request a sweep this time at 39 weeks due to kids school etc so dont want to be going overdue but new midwive so she may do things differently xx

I had an appointment at 39+6 and was told I could get a sweep at 5 days over if I wanted but I went into labour in the early hours so it wasn't needed but that was with my first. I didn't reach my due date with my second but was told I could get a sweep or my waters broken if I didn't go into labour by a certain point. Do you see a different midwife tomorrow? Might be worth asking again. Good luck!

I would definitely ask and explain your reasons, it'll do no harm to ask. I went ten days over with my second, despite plenty sex and sweeps :haha:

Thanks for all the advice and support ladies means alot. I have been on my ball doing rotating of the hips and apparently lunges help so I am going to try them with Husband holding me up because of my siatica (baby is on siatic nerve).

Baby was not very active today which was worrying but she has picked up now (at least the ball has done something). I have anxiety so am convinced that I won't go into labour naturally. I am convinced that unless something is done she won't come.

Sex brought both other kids and hasnt worked (as of yet) this time but at the point where we don't want to touch eachother lol (not arguing just so tired of all the sexy time). I trust this midwife she was the same one as my Daughter (who came early so sweep was not needed). I am thinking of telling her how my anxiety is affecting me and see what she suggests.

I just wish I could get it into my head that labour can and does trigger for women without any intervention and trust that my body has 11 days left before 42 weeks :/ feel so fed up (sorry for ranting, am just an emotional wreck).

My friend in the UK just went to nearly 42 weeks. Luckily she went into labor naturally a day before her induction!!

It's so different everywhere. Here in the US I was given a sweep at 38 weeks with my DS and it didn't really do anything, anyways. I was induced 3 days later due to blood pressure.

It must be hard with your family having erratic schedules next week. Have you been doing All The Things to try induce labor on your own? Sex, walking, spicy foods, etc, etc...?

We cross posted. Sounds like you're doing everything! Anxiety makes thing worse....I have anxiety too and I know!! Definitely tell your MW at the your next appt how anxious you are getting. Even if you have to be induced at 42 that's not too long to wait...but our bodies are made for this and even with anxiety I'm sure you'll go into labor in the next 11 days!! Sending labor vibes your way!!!

For both my 1st and 2nd I had a sweep booked for 41 weeks and they wouldn't do it before. I ended up going naturally for both at 40+5 and 40+4.

I was induced with my last pregnancy at 40+5 just because I was so big! I asked how far they would let me go over this time as I’m must likely going to have another 9 lb’er and my mw told me it would be nearer to 40 weeks then to 42 weeks.
I would definitely tell them how your feeling and I don’t see why they wouldn’t give you a sweep!! Hopefully baby will come sooner rather than later!! Xxx

I guess it varies where you are! With my 1st I was offered a sweep at 3 days over I refused as I was in agony that day and just wanted to be left alone, turns out I was actually in active labour at this point, damn my bad first baby knowledge!

With my second I was a few problems with him and had a sweep at 39 weeks which did nothing anyway, I got induced on my date date and sure enough he arrived on his due date 😊

Hi ladies.

Got midwife in 3 hours so will let you all know what she says. Baby is so active all night again which is unusual, she is waking at unusual times. Tried the ball and squats, everything else we have tried it hasn't worked. Woke up not even a twinge. 4 days over at the moment.

Just had to delete fb as people won't stop asking me if baby girl has arrived yet :/ will have a chat with Midwife about sweep and see what she says

I'm in the UK and booked in for a sweep on Wednesday at 38+3, this is my 3rd.

I'm under a consultant because my BMI is 31 and I'm 39 so an older mum. At my last app she said I can have a sweep if I want from 37 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->