• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

5 a day

BabyMamma93

Mummy of a Easter baby
Reaction score
do you and/or your children get your recommended 5 a day?

if so how?
if not how close to your 5 a day do you get?

We all just eat a lot of fruit and vegetables. Actually, the stuff I have to encourage my daughter to eat is the starchy stuff (like potatoes or toast) or protein (meat, cheese, etc.)! For us, it's just offering it all the time and trying lots of different things. She always has a fruit with breakfast (I usually have a green smoothie for breakfast with spinach, banana and berries), so it might be toast with cream cheese and some strawberries. Then for lunch and dinner, we always have lots of vegetable sides, usually salady things like cucumber or tomatoes, as well as hot cooked veg, like peas, roasted carrots, or soups and stews that are heavily veg. She usually also has a fruit for pudding, and then either cold salad veg (cucumbers, carrot sticks, or tomatoes) or fruit (an apple, grapes, etc.) for her snacks. If I give her a meal of, say, meatballs, pasta, peas and carrots with a pudding of yogurt and blueberries (which is exactly what she's having tonight), she'll definitely eat the peas and carrots and the blueberries, as well as the yogurt, she'll eat most of the pasta, and probably spit out the meatball if she tries it! We just tend to not eat a lot of processed food, so fruit and veg are some of the easier things to grab and offer her. I also think they often tend to be sweeter than say meat or starches, and though she doesn't have sweets or sugary things like cake often, she still likes sweeter things, which I think is why she eats so much. I also just sneak lots of veg into things to bulk them out, like carrots and courgettes in spag bol, etc.

wow i think your amazing, although last week M had veg every day, me & my OH didnt have a single bit and we never eat fruit, i know your 5 a day isnt just fruit and veg, but it sure does help.
I give M smoothies because he wont eat fruit, i keep offering it but he wont entertain it. i guiltily do buy smoothies more than i should, i also dont give as much veg to M as i could do, i have had no use of a freezer atm so i havent been able to buy veg and make bulk meals to freeze, i just hope my freezer isnt broken once its defrosted

Most days LO gets 5 but I'm always saving fruit for her in case she wants it rather than eat it myself, so my own consumption has gone way down.

A portion is a handful so if LO eat two (of her) handfuls worth of carrots or broccoli or cucumber (her only three veggies atm :growlmad:) then I've counted that as 2.

Also if LO has pudding and is still hungry she can only have fruit or veggies to fill up, so in the evening on a hungry day she often has a banana (with a smear of peanut butter on) handful of grapes and half an apple or a plum or something when she's finished her dinner and pud. On non-hungry days her consumption of every food group goes down so I don't get too worried by the fruit and veg being at, say, 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->