6 months FF - Follow on milk or infant formula?

staceyjc18

Reaction score
Are you ment to swap to follow on milk when LO is 6 months or is it still ok to give infant milk? :shrug:

I don't know if your "meant" to but I did. Sorry not much advice but didn't want to R&R

Its fine to still give infant milk, and in most countries there is no such thing as follow on milk. In a nutshell, both are very similar; its often thought follow on milk has a lot higher level of nutrients, calories etc and in less amount of milk but in 100ml of milk the levels of calories, fats and nutrients in follow on is not all that much more than the first milk-and considered babies are meant to have less of the follow on per day than they would be of the first milk-it means they are actually getting less of these things. Follow on milk does contain more iron; and slightly higher levels of some vitamins and minerals-however it does not contain most of the B vitamins at all, nor does it contain vitamin K. So both have their pros and cons xx

I stayed with first milk until 12 months, then went to cows. As pp said, follow on milk is designed to go with food to be complete and I preferred the idea of him still getting everything from the milk whilst he was being weaned and not eating too much.

this is my dilemma!! I'm currently using aptimel comfort but want to change to aptimel 1 or follow on as he doesn't need the comfort anymore! 'summer rain' do you have any advise? (I always trust your advise! are you just a very experienced mum or do you have qualifactions in some kind of health care? :flower:)

I just stuck with first milk, for me I didn't see the need to switch x

this is my dilemma!! I'm currently using aptimel comfort but want to change to aptimel 1 or follow on as he doesn't need the comfort anymore! 'summer rain' do you have any advise? (I always trust your advise! are you just a very experienced mum or do you have qualifactions in some kind of health care? :flower:)

I'm just a very experienced mum with 4 kids and quite a few nieces, nephews and little cousins; no qualifications in healthcare but hope to get some in future. :D Thanks to ladies on here I really have changed my career plans :D. If your baby was on comfort personally I'd advise switching to the first milk; the follow on milk has a higher casein to whey ratio that is similar to hungry baby milk as well as a lot more iron, therefore the follow-on may be a bit too much of a leap to start with. Or you could try a few cartons of follow-on milk and see how your LO reacts and if it does cause any problems switch to the first milk xx

I'm just a very experienced mum with 4 kids and quite a few nieces, nephews and little cousins; no qualifications in healthcare but hope to get some in future. :D Thanks to ladies on here I really have changed my career plans :D. If your baby was on comfort personally I'd advise switching to the first milk; the follow on milk has a higher casein to whey ratio that is similar to hungry baby milk as well as a lot more iron, therefore the follow-on may be a bit too much of a leap to start with. Or you could try a few cartons of follow-on milk and see how your LO reacts and if it does cause any problems switch to the first milk xx

I think you'd be great having a career in healthcare, you already have a good start! :thumbup:
I think ill go with the first milk, don't want to give him too much of a change. thanks for the advise x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->