6 week ultrasound possible multiples please check out pic

SamandJo88

Reaction score
Ok first quick background info. I went yesterday to a regular sonographer who I don't think had a lot of experience with pregnancy ultrasound. I expected to be roughly 6+0 weeks. He did transvaginal, he found a heart (112 bpm) and did a quick crl and got 2.5 mm, quite small for what I'd expect at 6 weeks. In the scan I had a brief moment where I thought I saw a second sac but figured twins don't run in the family, didn't use fertility meds etc, so didn't think much more of it.
Fast forward to today, I had a scan with my obstetrician and immediately we saw two sacs, or what looked like it. He said he also saw a possible third sac down the bottom. He was quick to dismiss any viability of the two sacs, and focused on the third which gave a crl of 6.8mm. He didn't measure heart but said it looked good.
My question. Is it possible the sonographer scanned the other sac yesterday?? Or is it possible for the same fetus to be 2.5mm yesterday and to now be 6.8mm 24 hours later????

Any help would be hugely appreciated. He also mentioned it could be a haematoma and that we really won't know much more until more time has passed

ETA the "good" sac is the one on the right, that contained the fetus with good heart and 6.8mm crl, annoyingly you can't see it in attached pic
Also haven't had any bleeding or spotting

Attachments

• IMG_20160929_150728952.jpg
    IMG_20160929_150728952.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 160
I see something in the left sack.
Congrats too :)

Really weird, i can see the three dark spots...maybe you have a vanishing twin situation, however this early it wouldn't dismiss multiple viable pregnancies. Can you ask for a repeat scan next week to rule out (or in) multiples?

Regarding thr measurement, i wouldn't worry about it. They're so small at this stage, a tiny difference on the screen can make a big difference measurement wise.

Thanks guys. Getting another scan next week. Just really weird that yesterday crl is 2.5mm, now it's 6.8?!

It does seem quite a big jump to make in a day, even with discrepancies in measurements that are to be expected. I do agree that it may be too early to rule out more than one viable pregnancy until later on.
Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy xxxxxxx

This is the only picture? It does look like 3 sacs. The lower one looks very low, too low so that may not be anything but the two higher ones look like 2 sacs for sure.

Yep only pic :( the other one I got was of the Bub in the right sac in the pic you can see. Really annoyed that my ob didn't look ,ore carefully at that sac on the left. He didn't even do a transvaginal scan :( he did mention three sacs but said at this point we don't know what they are exactly, that they could be fluid sacs, or hematomas (please no..). I'm sure that circle on the left is a sad though..

Wow, i'm impressed you got such a good scan at 6 weeks and it wasn't even transvag!

Yeah I'm really relieved about that but I actually wanted a transvag so he could see if there was anything in that left sac

Bumping for extra question. Des anyone think they see a peri gestational hematoma in this pic? The idiot radiographer on the first scan (who said that a 2.5 mm embryo was a perfect size for a 6 week embryo....) sent a report to my doctor saying he saw a 3 cm bleed near the gestational sac.... Help please ?

You should request your records. That way you get every video and picture taken. It was free for me, but I think it varies. But I'm pretty sure as long as it is for personal use, they have to release your records to you.

Other than that I can't help much. I see quite a few dark spots, which makes me wary of calling anything without a beanie in it a sac. I see something in the left sac, more so than in the right sac. So you may be looking at twins. Idk though sorry :(

Re: bleeding usually those things sort themselves out so I wouldn't fret over the bleeding unless you start bleeding heavily or having intense pain.

Bumping for extra question. Des anyone think they see a peri gestational hematoma in this pic? The idiot radiographer on the first scan (who said that a 2.5 mm embryo was a perfect size for a 6 week embryo....) sent a report to my doctor saying he saw a 3 cm bleed near the gestational sac.... Help please ?

Is the area that looks like two sacs (right and bottom) actually one bigger sac they are calling a 3cm bleed? 3cm is a largish area in comparison to the gestational sac at this stage so that's the only thing I would think would be considered the bleed? Idk. You need a new scan. And get copies of the scan in a disc like suggested. Then you can view all images and measurements for yourself.

Will they be rescanning you? Sounds like you really didnt get a clear scan, plus you're early which may make it harder.

Thanks everyone. I might be able to have a scan in 3 days, otherwise it'll be in 5 days. I'll definitely be requesting every single bit of footage. Just weird that the report the radiographer gave to my gp (which made not a lot of sense, spelling mistakes, and seemingly having no issue saying a crl length of 2.5mm corresponded to a 6 week fetus, but in the same report mentioned fetal pole (which I'm pretty sure makes no sense if your measuring a crl), yet my obstetrician mentioned nothing about a bleed when he scanned me 24 hours later. He did say he thought there may be three sacs but the only way to know is wait. He also said he couldn't rule out a haematoma but thinks it's more likely a sac but if it is a bleed, it's nowhere near the good embryo so I should be ok. But the loss in July this year (which ended up being Turner's) started with a haematoma. So I'm a wreck at the moment :( Thanks for all your input everyone

Also not sure if I mentioned it earlier but the radiographer didn't do the first scan. He just did the report based off of the photos the sonographer gave him

Awww Sam :hugs: it's so incredibly unlikely this baby (babies?) has any chromosome issues, especially if you've already gone through that horror. I hope your next scan can really put your mind at ease!

Aw man what a big confusion. I don't have any suggestions, but would love to follow to find out how your next scan goes. Good luck :hugs:

Hard to tell from one snapshot, and so early ..and abdominal!! .. But, gestational sacs tend to have white shading like a halo round them, if that helps. Bleeds can look a lot like sacs as it's a pocket of fluid just the same. How confusing for you!

That said the baby and heartbeat sound perfect. Probably measured babys CRL wrong first time (or measured the other one if twins :haha: bless xx

Roll on next scan x

Ps. I seem to remember my second take home baby was 2.5mm at 6w ish and my first was definitely 4mm at 6+1 because I freaked out lol, now age 5 and 3 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->