6 weeks pregnant, small sac, no yolk, no fetal pole

swejnc

Reaction score
Dear all, my wife is 6 weeks pregnant, we went for a scan yesterday, all we can see is a small sac about 0.48cm which according to the therapist it should be twice as big as it is now. No yolk or fetal pole is found yet. My wife and I are extremely worry and panic, she is not willing to surf the web for more information as she is too afraid to read something bad. Can anyone tell me whether we should be worry about this? We never had a baby before, this is the first time after we have been married for 2 years. Is this a common case for pregnant woman?

Hi, it can really depend on how sure you are of the ovulation date, etc. If you are 6 weeks pregnant based only on the date of your wife's last menstrual period, there could easily be a few days difference regarding when she ovulated. Most women don't have perfect 28 day cycles or ovulate exactly on day 14, so early scans are often out a bit from what you may expect.
When did you get your first positive pregnancy test? And was your wife tracking ovulation? I think it's too early to be overly concerned. A few days at this point can make a difference to what you see on a scan. Also, did they do a transvaginal scan or an abdominal scan? You can usually see more early on with a transvaginal, so this may also be a factor.
Try to keep hopeful and good luck xxxxxxx

Hi, it can really depend on how sure you are of the ovulation date, etc. If you are 6 weeks pregnant based only on the date of your wife's last menstrual period, there could easily be a few days difference regarding when she ovulated. Most women don't have perfect 28 day cycles or ovulate exactly on day 14, so early scans are often out a bit from what you may expect.
When did you get your first positive pregnancy test? And was your wife tracking ovulation? I think it's too early to be overly concerned. A few days at this point can make a difference to what you see on a scan. Also, did they do a transvaginal scan or an abdominal scan? You can usually see more early on with a transvaginal, so this may also be a factor.
Try to keep hopeful and good luck xxxxxxx

Thank you for the reply. It was a transvaginal scan. Quite certain the number of weeks is correct, I tried to push back a few days, researching how big should a normal sac be if it is 5 weeks, it turns out that my wife's gestational sac has a size of 5 weeks' sac. She was tracking ovulation and she got her first pregnancy test 2 weeks ago. Transvaginal scan did not even scanned a sac on the 5th week, yesterday was 6th week and the sac turned out to be extremely small.

Nothing at all to worry about, it my last two pregnancies I had early scans at 6+4 with my dd and 6+2 with the boy I'm carrying and both times nothing more than a gestational sack was seen. Both times I was told that I would most likely miscarry. My scans were transvaginal as well which should give more detail than a regular scan. It couldn't even be put down to delayed ovulation as both times my ovulation was confirmed by temps. My daughter is now one and I'm 35 weeks pregnant with my son so they were both fine. I know it's hard but try not to panic and try to relax.

I'm in the same position. Although they said that the sac was measuring up to date. I'm contemplating asking for a new ultrasound.

I would also say it could be too early. I had a scan at 5 weeks and all I saw was the sac. My doctor recommended I come back at 7 weeks because he said I may not see anything at 6 weeks either. Hang in there!

I had a scan at 5+4. All we saw was an empty sac measuring 4 to 5 weeks. There was no fetal pole...nothing. my baby is now 8 months old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->