6w6d scan - no hb or fetal poles seen. Advice?

MrsMoose

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I hope you can offer me some advice. Long story short, I've had 4 m/c due to immune & thyroid problems. I'm pregnant via IVF FET, and had a bit of brown discharge at about 5-6 weeks. Because of the 4 previous losses, I arranged to have a private scan at 6w6d. The scan showed a twin pregnancy, but the sonographer was concerned that she couldn't see a heartbeat or fetal pole in either sac, which she was expecting to see at this point. She said she could see "evidence of echoes within the sacs" (whatever that means). This is such a milestone for DH and I, as we've never seen anything on a scan before - it's always been too late and after the m/c. However, I'm now really worried that this isn't going to be a viable pregnancy :nope: The sac sizes are 8mm and 10mm, which according to Dr Google are quite small for the gestational age, and I'm worried these could turn out to be blighted ovums.

I've attached the scan pic - I can see something in both sacs, but I'm not sure if it's something or nothing. Is there a chance that the sacs will 'catch up' and I'll be able to see something at my 7w6d scan this Friday? Or is there a likelihood that this won't be a viable pregnancy? When did you all first see a hb and fetal pole?

Any thoughts, advice etc welcome!

Carmen.

Attachments

• scan 1.jpg
    scan 1.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 67
I'm not sure. Can you call your doctor? I think heartbeat should be seen at 6w6d, but I'm not sure if its the same with IVF. I guess you're sure on your dates? I hope everything is okay, and that someone with more knowledge can give you peace of mind. But I'd definitely call your doctor.

I have no advice but really hope it works out for you guys, big hugs x

I would contact your local early pregnancy unit and explain the circumstances, so they can get you in for a proper scan. Things get easily missed this early. Was the scan vaginal?

Was the sonographer experienced? Sure appears to be fetal poles and yolk sacs to me, and I'm definitely no expert. I had a similar situation with a private scan and then called the dr and she did a follow up scan that same day. Praying for you and your twins!!

I'd say wait a few days before looking for another scan... even 3 days could make a huge difference. There are lots of reports of women not seeing a heartbeat at your gestation... and when they go back for another scan, a heartbeat can be seen! Wishing you the best of luck x

Thank you so much for your replies ladies :)

The sonographer is experienced (she's head of maternal ultrasound at our local hospital) but the scan machine (songraph?) was in a little clinic in the outskirts of nowhere (she does a travelling scan clinic) so I'm wondering if it was an old machine as the scan picture looks fuzzier than any others I've seen. It was also a vaginal scan - the sonographer tried abdominally first but the picture wasn't too clear as my bladder was empty.

I have my 7w6d scan with my consultant at his clinic this Friday and I've got a lot of faith in him so hopefully there'll be something more definite to see. I tried the EPU but was told I can only be referred by a GP, and mine was closed (and completely useless).

I've been googling a lot of scan pictures of 7 weeks and mine doesn't look that far out, which is why I'm holding onto hope that all is ok. It was just that devastating "I'm so sorry, I'm not seeing what I want to see" that gave DH and I chills. We have heard that at every single scan to this point and it makes our hearts sink. I have also heard of positive stories where the sac 'caught up' and by the next scan in a week's time everything looked ok, so just trying to stay positive.

Will let you know how it goes on Friday.

Carmen. xx

Hi there, i have also just went through a FET with IVF, i am now 7 weeks pregnant today!! Last week i had to go for an early scan due to some bleeding, at the scan we did see a heartbeat however the doctor was very concerned that the fatal pole was very very small and didn't really give us much hope, but today our scan was fine and the fatal pole is exactly the size it should be, we couldn't believe the difference in a week!! so don't give up hope, wishing you all the luck & hope everything works out for you.

Wishing you all of the luck in the world on Friday. I know what its like to get horrible news at scans and I will be thinking of you.

I can see fetal poles in them? Not seeing a heartbeat isn't a good sign though.

Hi, I've also had 4 losses this year and currently pregnant again. Had an US at just over 6 weeks due to history. They out me back to 5 weeks and only saw sac and yolk.... Had a scan this week (2 weeks after last one) and saw and heard heartbeat but again put me back to 7. Weeks still.

I think in the early stages everything grows differently. Don't lose hope yet, I truly truly hope that your next scan brings you amazing news x

PS , you're in the uk... My midwife referred me to fetal medicine unit in local hospital. They have been BRILLIANT. your midwife may be able to do the same, or similar?

I've also been through this before and got put back 10 days to later have a scan and everything has caught up with my dates. I'm the same this time too and got put back a week but yet again everything has caught up again. I also think it depends on the machines they use? It certainly looks like there is fetal poles in both sacs to me too but I'm no expert either. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you x

P.S I was 6+ with both pregnancies at the time of the scans and was put back to 5 weeks on one and this one 5+

Thanks ladies. At least the next scan is tomorrow morning. I've been feeling more positive about it - have had serious food aversions this week and spent monday morning throwing up (just before a flight - not fun!). Although I've been ill with flu since last week so hard to know if it's related to the flu or pregnancy. I've barely managed to eat and have been living off dry crackers and apple juice.

Will let you know how the scan goes. xx

I find it strange that you were told that there were no yolks or fetal poles...what are the shapes in the sacks if not those thimgs? Looks exactly like my 7 week scan with Sophie.

I hope tomorrow's sscan is better. They're really good at scaring you. Some of them are just too forward with their words and don't think about peoples feelings.

I also don't understand her telling you there was no fetal pole or yolk!! And I have had early scans measure smaller, then baby caught up later too! I hope your scan goes wonderfully on Friday, and that you get good news!!

:hugs: xxxxxx

you ladies have really given me hope! Minties and Moom - I know, right?? I'm not sure myself. When I went for the scan all she said was "I'm not seeing what I want to see" and on the report afterwords she wrote "Evidence of echoes within the sacs, but no obvious yolk sac, fetal pole or heartbeat seen'. It really freaked me out, and I don't think I had enough sense at the time to question those little lumps in the sacs! The scan literally took about 10 minutes (1 tummy, 1 internal) as I was running late, so I'm wondering if she just did a rush job. I read on the forum somewhere that one sonographer tried for 45 minutes to find a hb and would not give up until she'd tried every angle (poor girl having it done!) but eventually they found the little hb flickering away. It was only when I got home and studied the scan picture in depth and then did some serious googling on 7 week scan pictures that I thought 'wait a minute, there's something in those sacs'. But then again, having never seen anything on a scan before in my previous pregnancies, I was doubting my own eyes....

28329 - I agree on the scaring. I think sometimes they don't understand the anxiety it puts on you, especially when you think your pregnancy isn't going according to textbook. I would rather they said something like 'each pregnancy is different, and just because it's not showing up now doesn't mean that it won't show up in a week's time' because that way I'd feel more reassured!!

Anyway, I'm sitting here at work, the office is so quiet being the second day back and I feel like I'm coughing up a lung. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me and giving me a whole lotta hope - you ladies are just brilliant! :hugs:

you ladies have really given me hope! Minties and Moom - I know, right?? I'm not sure myself. When I went for the scan all she said was "I'm not seeing what I want to see" and on the report afterwords she wrote "Evidence of echoes within the sacs, but no obvious yolk sac, fetal pole or heartbeat seen'. It really freaked me out, and I don't think I had enough sense at the time to question those little lumps in the sacs! The scan literally took about 10 minutes (1 tummy, 1 internal) as I was running late, so I'm wondering if she just did a rush job. I read on the forum somewhere that one sonographer tried for 45 minutes to find a hb and would not give up until she'd tried every angle (poor girl having it done!) but eventually they found the little hb flickering away. It was only when I got home and studied the scan picture in depth and then did some serious googling on 7 week scan pictures that I thought 'wait a minute, there's something in those sacs'. But then again, having never seen anything on a scan before in my previous pregnancies, I was doubting my own eyes....

28329 - I agree on the scaring. I think sometimes they don't understand the anxiety it puts on you, especially when you think your pregnancy isn't going according to textbook. I would rather they said something like 'each pregnancy is different, and just because it's not showing up now doesn't mean that it won't show up in a week's time' because that way I'd feel more reassured!!

Anyway, I'm sitting here at work, the office is so quiet being the second day back and I feel like I'm coughing up a lung. Thank you for taking the time to respond to me and giving me a whole lotta hope - you ladies are just brilliant! :hugs:
With my very first US ever with my daughter the tech obviously wanted to go home and did a rush job. I was 7 weeks and she did abdominal only. She told me there was only a sack. I freaked out called PP and arranged another US 3 days later. They found a perfect embryo measuring right on with a heartbeat. The tech said there is no reason they shouldn't have seen her 3 days earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->