7 months need some encouragement

Mimzy3

Reaction score
So I've be exclusively pumping for my son for 7 month now. Couldn't breast feed directly from the breast despite much effort due to a latch issue. And because I was sooo determined to give my baby breast milk I've been exclusively pumping.

I managed to save up a entire small deep freezer with milk but problem is he won't drink the freezer milk. And just recently I tried to give him a small about of formula (I had a sample) and he gagged and made him self throw up he hated it so much.

Some days I get so tired of pumping and the fact that I'll never get a night or day to myself for as long as he's still relying on my breast milk. I know it sounds selfish but I'm connected to this pump! I don't know what to do he won't drink freezer milk, formula, and i'm also having a hard time getting him to eat any solids. I can't believe I still have 5 months till he can drink cows milk!!!:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Does your freezer milk smell metallic when you thaw it? I've never had that problem but I know some on here have that issue and if I remember right its from high lipase?

First off, WELL DONE for exclusively pumping for seven months. I did the same so I know exactly how it feels to be chained to the pump, so exhausting. It is not selfish to want a break from the suction machine!

I was going to mention what pp said about lipase. Some people find their milk tastes soapy after thawing. It can be prevented by heating it before freezing (if you google excess lipase in expressed milk you will find instructions) but I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done about the already frozen milk.

If it's not that, I'm not really sure why he would be refusing it. I assume you're serving it at the usual temperature and such?

When it comes to formula, they don't all taste the same. I tasted them when we started combi feeding, and I found SMA was horrible and Cow and Gate tasted the most like actual milk. So your little one might prefer a different brand. You might also try mixing it with breast milk and gradually reducing the amount of breast milk to get him used to the taste. Perhaps trying him with the different milk at a time when he is usually very hungry or a bit sleepy will help?

Good luck mama, I hope you find something that works for your little guy.

Oh sorry another couple of thoughts:

Could you try mixing half thawed milk with half fresh milk and see if he will take that? You'll still be pumping for a while but it will save some of the waste.
Another thing is you could use the frozen milk with baby cereal or mixed into his food. I know he's not really into solids yet but that will come soon and at least you know he's getting some of your milk that way. I would hate to see you waste all that hard work.

Oh sorry another couple of thoughts:

Could you try mixing half thawed milk with half fresh milk and see if he will take that? You'll still be pumping for a while but it will save some of the waste.
Another thing is you could use the frozen milk with baby cereal or mixed into his food. I know he's not really into solids yet but that will come soon and at least you know he's getting some of your milk that way. I would hate to see you waste all that hard work.

Yes the milk has a metallic taste. I tasted it and it tastes awful so I don't blame him for not wanting to drink it. I used to over produced which is how I managed to get so much saved up. But ever since I got the flu early Feb my supply has been just enough for him and I haven't had any extra to freeze. I'm scared to mix my fresh milk with freezer cause if he don't drink it I will have wasted the fresh milk. :wacko:

I tried mixing the freezer milk with his food but he won't eat it. But I don't think its the freezer milk in that situation, he won't eat it regardless. Even when I mix the food with my fresh milk.

How long did you exclusively pump ? I really feel trapped into it now since he won't drink anything else. I've tried mixing cereal in his milk at night and he won't drink it if its in there. And I had to dump my milk, which I can't afford to waste the fresh stuff now. This kid is SUPER picky! :dohh:

I pumped exclusively til seven months, then had to supplement with formula because I was struggling to keep up supply. Then at about 9 months we switched over to formula full time because I needed some medicine I couldn't take while feeding.

I won't lie, it was a huge relief. I was proud of myself for doing it, but it was, without doubt, the hardest thing I ever did. I felt totally trapped and exhausted all the time, and totally jealous of all the women who seemed to just be able to feed their babies from the breast so easily. So I totally, totally understand your frustration.

Maybe save some of the freezer milk to mix in his food in a month or so (if it will still be good) when he's more interested in solids. It's heartbreaking to pour away pumped milk, isn't it?

I see what you mean about not wanting to waste the fresh milk if he won't drink it. Maybe you could try it with a very small amount and see if he drinks it? Or try a very small amount of fresh mixed with a tiny bit of formula? If you can get him used to the taste of formula it will at least give you a back up plan.

Or heck, since you can't use the frozen milk as it is, mix that with formula and see if he'll take that. You never know.

So sorry you're struggling. You will get through this. He probably just needs some time to adjust.

Had a long talk with DH last night and we agreed that we have to do something. We are going to start to really try and introduce formula. I just have no idea how to do that? Do you give only a couple ounces at first? Or just give a whole bottle right away? Thinking of supplementing just one bottle a day for now. Its so stressful making just enough every day. I need some sort of a back up and since he won't drink the freezer milk we are going to try formula. He hated the formula I gave him which was a sample of similac but I also have a sample of enfamil gentlease which I'm going to try next. He has acid reflux and is on medication for it so I have to watch out for that and make sure the formula doesn't make it worse.

Thanks so much for sharing your story, I also feel it will be a huge relief when I can start supplementing. I totally know how you feel when you say you would get jealous of women who could feed their babies with ease! A coworker of mine is like that.. over produces and her baby latches like a pro!

DH is trying the formula today while I'm at work I told him to only try 2oz because honestly I have no clue but I assume just try a little at first and see how he does.:shrug: So hopefully he drinks the 2 ounces of formula then finishes off with his bottle of breast milk. But if I know my son he won't drink the formula :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->