70% tile for weight

winterbabies3

Wife, Mother & Expecting
Reaction score
So I know that weight can be off by ultrasound but I went to my monthly check-up today and they were concerned about baby's weight. They estimated her weight to be at 9 ozs and in the 70% tile for weight...should I be concerned?

I wouldn't be. if it was nearer 95th centile then yea maybe. but 70th is fine.

I don't see why they're worried. My son was estimated at 10 oz at 18+6 and my daughter was estimated at 11 oz at 19+3.

Thanks girls!! I didn't even know the weight of my other babies at this gestation!

At my 20 week scan they told me they're only concerned about measurements that are in the 97 percentile or higher or the 3 percentile and lower so not sure why they're concerned about your girl's weight. :shrug:

My little girl was 11 oz at 20 weeks and they weren't concerned.

This makes me feel better! Idk why she even brought it up cause like you girls said and the whole Internet said, it's nothing to be concerned about! I was starting to think they would want to induce me later on or something haha.

Sounds fine!! My lo was estimated at 11oz at 20+2 x

When I went to my anatomy scan at 18+5 they estimated her at 10 ounces and said she was in the 65th percentile. They thought my boy was going to be way over 8 lbs and he ended up being 7lbs 8 ounces.

I have an app called "What to expect" and they average babies weight to be about 10ozs at 20 weeks! Stupid doctors!!

I know sometimes they get you worked up for nothing and then make light of stuff we think should be a big deal. :)

That's weird that they even mentioned it -- was the baby's length really small or something (sometimes they are concerned about a weight/length mismatch or something)? 70th percentile means that your baby is bigger than 70% of the babies and smaller than 29% of the babies at that gestation. Any health care provider should know that, and 70th percentile is just normal normal normal! By chance alone, 29 out of every 100 babies at that gestation would be bigger than yours. Weird that they acted concerned!

70th percentile is super normal. Back when I was working, pre-infertility diagnosis, I had clients always being told things that were scary, but totally not true! (I'm a doula and CBE.) It seems to me that doctors really like scaring women into thinking their babies are too big, just so that the doc can schedule a c-section and not have to deal with a woman in labor. I mean, a scheduled, mid-morning c-section is so much more convenient that a woman going into labor who-knows-when.

PS: Those weight estimates can be, and often are, incredibly off. I know women who have been induced for jumbo-size babies who've ended up with 6-ish lb babies that needed help for being born too soon.

70th percentile is super normal. Back when I was working, pre-infertility diagnosis, I had clients always being told things that were scary, but totally not true! (I'm a doula and CBE.) It seems to me that doctors really like scaring women into thinking their babies are too big, just so that the doc can schedule a c-section and not have to deal with a woman in labor. I mean, a scheduled, mid-morning c-section is so much more convenient that a woman going into labor who-knows-when.

PS: Those weight estimates can be, and often are, incredibly off. I know women who have been induced for jumbo-size babies who've ended up with 6-ish lb babies that needed help for being born too soon.

This is really good to know!! I plan on a labor at home and only going to the hospital (2 mins away) when I know I am ready. I will let baby decided. I know I won't have a 15 lb baby and know many women who have had 10lb babies naturally so it can be done! The thought of induction after they mentioned this so early scared me! Thank you again for this!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->