9 weeks, hypothyroid with high TSH. Help!

writingislove

Reaction score
I have hypothyroidism and prior to getting pregnant, my TSH was 0.695. At 8 weeks pregnant they finally checked my TSH levels and I got the results back today--they are a 9.1. My T4 is normal.

Has anyone else been pregnant before with a high TSH and had everything turn out ok? They've increased my med dosage, but I'm still really worried.

I'm being a right dope.. Is this over active thyroid?

So long as they've increased your dose, you should be ok, but you should be being tested every month or so, my doctor has me coming in every five weeks for now. Also the levels in pregnancy should be lower than normal, so TSH between 0.5 and 2.

I've only just been diagnosed with my under active thyroid, I was borderline before pregnancy, but immediately under active as soon as I was pregnant, but apparently thyroid issues in pregnancy is a special interest of the doctor I just happened to see!

Dont panic. Mine spiked with my first pregnancy too. Was feeling symptoms before I knew I was pregnant and made a drs appointment to have them checked, but I had started taking a higher dose of my meds on my own. Got an ear full from my doc about it, but she ended up eating her words because my TSH came back 12.something and she couldn't explain it, until I found out I was pregnant a few days later. My baby turned out fine. Your body can start producing extra TSH as soon as you start producing HCG which is right after implementation, so I think most people with hypothyroid will experience a spike before they find out they're pregnant. You're on top of it now though, so that's all that matters. The ranges are a bit stricter depending on what trimester you're in. They should recommend having them checked at least every 60 days if not more until you get you dose adjusted properly. Keep in mind that you will probably need to stay on a higher dose while nursing too. Good luck!

I've been hypothyroid all 3 pregnancies, but I'm not sure my tsh has ever been as high as this. The consultant wants my tsh below 2, first it was 5.4 or something and now it's come down to 3.7, they just keep cranking my meds up. My thyroid is defo not tolerating this pregnancy as well as the others for some reason.
They seem happy enough with my at the moment, even though my tsh is not under 2. They reassured me the baby was normal size at the twenty week scan and everything looks good. They may consider growth scans in the future but it's just if the tsh is still high.

Thanks for the responses so far, ladies. I asked my doctor if I should be concerned and she said no, that we just had to be sure and increase my meds. I started on the new dosage today, so I hope the number comes down fairly quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->