a few questions about giving expressed milk

dalismom

Reaction score
So we are going on vacation tomorrow and we have a 3 hour flight, I have expressed milk about 3 months ago and kept it in a deep freezer and plan on packing that inside a mini freezer with ice packs for the trip but I was wondering about freshly expressed milk. I have pumped for the past few nights, since Sunday night and have gotten about 1.5 oz per night. I have stored it inside the fridge near the back and have about 5oz right now. They are all seprate in aprrox. 1.5 oz containers. I plan on doing this again tonight to have around 6 oz total, so enough for one bottle. I guess my question is, is this safe? Can I combine all of the cold milk storage bottles tomorrow morning before we leave to make one bigger bottle? Can I keep this with the frozen milk to keep it cold and be able to use it tomorrow overnight for my ds first feeding? THe oldest milk with be 4 days old? I have very little frozen as I don't get very much at a time pumping, as you can see, and I thought you were supposed to freeze within 24 hours and I just didn't want 1,000 1.5 oz bags with me. lol I hope that this made some kind of sense? Do you think that the milk would be safe?

THanks!!:flower:

It's definitely fine to combine all the freshly pumped milk into one bottle, as long as it is all cold. Fresh milk is good in the fridge for up to 8 days (NOT stored on the door). But you have to think ahead--if you combine all the fresh milk, you have to use the big bottle within 8 days of the oldest fresh milk. Also be sure to keep it cold until you use it.

I'm not sure how long you have to use the fresh milk after it's out of the fridge. Maybe someone else can provide that info.

A few questions come to mind: Are you only planning on using your expressed milk on the plane? How will you defrost the bags? Will your breasts be engorged if you don't feed for awhile? Just some things to think about if you haven't already. Good luck!

THanks so much!!!! I plan on feeding him on the plane myself, if he will feed :) he is very busy haha. I should not get to engorged during that time if he doesn't. We are going to las vegas and my mom is going with us to watch him so she will be giving him the night time bottle and I have brought my pump to use when I get back to our room later that night so he stay asleep and I can get some :)

ETA, She will be giving him the frozen stash on the other nights, over night and will defrost them with hot water from the tap. Just thought I should add that :)

THanks again!!!

THanks so much!!!! I plan on feeding him on the plane myself, if he will feed :) he is very busy haha. I should not get to engorged during that time if he doesn't. We are going to las vegas and my mom is going with us to watch him so she will be giving him the night time bottle and I have brought my pump to use when I get back to our room later that night so he stay asleep and I can get some :)

ETA, She will be giving him the frozen stash on the other nights, over night and will defrost them with hot water from the tap. Just thought I should add that :)

THanks again!!!

Does your baby drink EBM cold? The reason I ask is because if you don't warm it up, you can leave it sitting around longer. If you warm it from frozen, you have to use it really soon, like an hour (defrosting with hot water would make it warm). My baby takes it cold so I keep thawed milk in the fridge until he drinks it all. If your baby won't do that, then I guess you don't have a choice!

Sounds like you have a good plan. I'd definitely recommend feeding him directly whenever possible, if you feel comfortable. Every ounce of EBM is precious. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->