a question for those who have co-slept.

Bumbled Bee

Reaction score
Hi!

Quick question re: cosleeping.

my son is 8 weeks old, and has slept in our bed since about 2 weeks old. He sleeps really well, only waking once through the night for a feed. It seems to be working out well.
But I got A LOT of comments from people implying that he'll never sleep in his own bed, and will still be trying to sleep with us when he's like 12!

I just feel that he's still too little to be on his own, he slept in his cot until 2am last night, and his little hands were frozen.

So my question is, Is it hard to move them over to their own bed when the time comes? Is it easier to do when they are younger or old enough to reason with?
I have a very good, happy, healthy baby, but this sleep thing stresses me out! It's all I can think about.

Any advice??

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I really wouldn't worry about the transition to their own room/cot when co-sleeping works so well for you. I started co-sleeping with Emmett when we were still in hospital and ignored the nurses who told me off for it.
He is now 8 months old and has been in his own room for the last week and we had no problems whatsoever. He's always woken up lots at night and still does to some extent but he's as happy in his cot as he is in our bed.
Co-sleeping rocks!!

We co sleep with Edward. People have said the same to me but I just don't care. I won't be moving him out of our bed until he's 6 months at the earliest more than likely xx

A friend co-slept with her two kids. Her daughter until she was five (through choice, not because she wouldn't sleep on her own) and still sleeps with her son. She just explained to the daughter that she was a big girl now and was ready for own room.

I'm co-sleeping too, for the same reasons (and because it's easier to night feed) and keep getting the same comments... I'm just ignoring them.

We co-slept for the first couple months then bought a bedside cot that she goes in. It's flush with the bed so really it just makes the bed bigger and keeps me from worrying that she'll roll off. She goes down in the cot bit but I always have her next to me by the time we get up, since it's easier for feeding. (It's nice to be able to stretch out when going to bed now though.) I figure eventually we'll just put the side up with it still in the room and once she's sleeping well like that, move her into her own room. I'm thinking close to 1 year but you never know. I thought I would just BF until 6months but I plan on going a year now. Just playing it all by ear!

The only people I've heard bad things about co-sleeping and then moving into their own bed is from people who haven't co-slept. The ones who co-sleep have all said that when the baby is ready it's easy... so who knows! I don't think you're doing anything wrong. Making sure your baby is loved and well adjusted is the best you can do to make them an independent adult. :)

We co-sleep with a side-car-cot. I have no plans of stopping co-sleeping anytime soon. In fact I am kinda happy with having a room where the whole family sleep. When we have #2 I'm hoping I can engineer a way for all 4 of us to continue to sleep in the same bed, hopefully I can attach another cot onto the big bed somehow.

Of-course our bed is no longer a sexual place. Our flat has 2 bedrooms. The smaller bedroom has a single bed in it and is used for baby care during the day, and baby making when she goes to sleep. Making the mental transition from having the place we sleep and the place we have sex as 2 different places has made co-sleeping a lot easier on OH.

I've co slept with mine from the start and moved them at 6 months ish with no problems :)

Both times have their benefits and it depends how you want to go about moving him.

I wouldnt do it until your ready though, dont let other people comments force you out of doing something that works for you. Lie if you have to, tell them hes moved into his cot to shut them up :)
x

We co-slept from very early on as she slept better, and we're still co-sleeping now at 16 months.... once you get to this stage it's harder to get her out of our bed and we'll probably have to wait till she's a fair bit older and we can explain why she needs to go to her own bed...

We havn't had any problem either. She's just started sleeping in her cot now, and spends the first half the night in there, and then when she wakes up during the night, she stays in, just because It's easier for feeding. We started co-sleeping when she was a few days old.

And I agree with everyone that said it's mostly people who don't co-sleep who say how hard it'll be. We were dreading putting her in her own cot, because of everything we heard. But she's been no problem at all!

We coslept with 2 of our 3, moved one at 11mo and one at 12mo (though he does come to our bed most nights in the middle of the night still) it wasn't hard at all to move them from our beds. We will cosleep again next time :)

Hi!

Quick question re: cosleeping.

my son is 8 weeks old, and has slept in our bed since about 2 weeks old. He sleeps really well, only waking once through the night for a feed. It seems to be working out well.
But I got A LOT of comments from people implying that he'll never sleep in his own bed, and will still be trying to sleep with us when he's like 12!

I just feel that he's still too little to be on his own, he slept in his cot until 2am last night, and his little hands were frozen.

So my question is, Is it hard to move them over to their own bed when the time comes? Is it easier to do when they are younger or old enough to reason with?
I have a very good, happy, healthy baby, but this sleep thing stresses me out! It's all I can think about.

Any advice??

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

We are in exactly the same position as you. For the past couple of nights I have taken our wee 8 week old in with us and we have all had a good 6 hr sleep. Hubby gets up early for work so I take wee one in with me then and we both sleep really well. Everyone comments that we are doinf the wrong thing, but at least we all get a good sleep. I don't think I would have done it when he was really tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->