abscess- Do i HAVE to go to a dentist?

missk1989

Reaction score
I have an abscess. I dont think i can get out of work until thursday to see a dentist. Is there an alternative treatment? I can barely eat with it at the moment so dont want to leave it totally untreated.

Ring NHS direct and see if you can get an emergency appointment at any dentist. They usually hold emergency clinics on a night to cover the area (at least here they do).

You will need a course of antibiotics so not sure if you could just see a GP? Probably not with it being in your mouth. Again, maybe ring NHS Direct for advice?

As pp said ring NHS u can get night appointment for emergencies

I had an absess and was turned away from the emergency dentist, anyway, I popped it with a pin, gross I know, and squeezed all the puss out and it felt a mile better xx

i rang and they have said it does not require an emergency appointment so to go to a dentist monday. I cant get there until thursday but it doesnt hurt right now anyway so will see how i feel.

Is it a gum boil? Salt water rinses will help especially if it pops

Doing lots of salt rinses like ^^^^ said. It draws the infection out, so if you have to wait until Thurs it might help.

Is there no way you can get an hour off work to get it sorted?

i had one before & popped it, then did salt water washes. it was fine 2 days later x

Honestly I had lots that were ok and one time I woke up with a hamster face. It had travelled To my jaw and my god it was the worst pain I have ever ever felt and was in tears for a week. Even needed 3 lots of antibiotics to shift it. Please never leave an absess.

Doing lots of salt rinses like ^^^^ said. It draws the infection out, so if you have to wait until Thurs it might help.

Is there no way you can get an hour off work to get it sorted?

not really. I teach in FE and am teaching 6 hours in each offsite location mon-wednesday each about 40 mins away from campus. I would have to cancel or get cover for all days lessons if i were to take time off. usually i dont do mondays but have been drafted in as emergency cover for the next two weeks so definitley cant get out of that.

I thought I had an abscess a month ago, it hurt like a bitch but I'm not registered with any dentist yet so I was worried about it. I left it for a few days and it went away on it's own :shrug: whether or not it was an actual abscess I don't know but it looked like one going from the pictures on google :S

I've had antibiotics for abcesses and they didn't work. I try to avoid them though to be honest because of an increase in antibiotic resistant viruses, i gargle either TCP or salt rinses now and they go away :)

I think i will try the salt rinses. It doesnt really hurt anymore just uncomfortable. I thought they were white but this one isnt and doesnt hurt much when i press it so maybe nothing. Hopefully it will go away!

Until you can get it looked at by a dentist, the home remedies that I have heard are most effective include the salt water rinses, (careful!) heat application, and clove oil. But use these only for pain management until you can get in to see a doc!

You need penicillin really. I had montondazle (sp lol) first and was rubbish. I can't believe people ignore absess. Its a sign something is wrong. If you ever get a jaw infection from absess you will understand why I feel so strongly. Never ever ignore it. It is a sign of a problem+!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->