Activities after preschool..

jenny82

Reaction score
My LO is currently in preschool 5 mornings per week. He does find it pretty exhausting and now I see why. I helped out there yesterday and it is pretty full on non-stop activities until hometime.

So I was feeling very guilty and like I was being too lax, as when he comes home, we have lunch, his sister goes for a nap and then we don't do too much. Last week, I made more of an effort to arrange activities for every afternoon post-nap, like park trips, swimming etc. But I think it made him even worse and even his teachers at preschool remarked on how exhausted he was.

This week, I planned a few small things but nothing taxing (making garden creatures, 15 minute walk etc) then rest of the time just playing lego or watching a movie with me. (Oh, also we either walk/scooter/cycle to and from school twice a day) It is going a bit better as he is a bit happier and less tired/whiny, but the guilt of not doing anything substantial eats away at me. Also adding to this that I am exhausted and end up dozing on the sofa with him while I'm supposed to be watching the movie :dohh:

I get no help or support from family anymore as we know no one here, which is a bit of a strain but manageable. Does what I'm doing sound ok and am I doing this right? Argghh I hate the guilt...

Sounds like you are an amazing Mum! My son is at home with me two/three days a week, at nursery full day once and with my Mum once. I am so tired from being pregnant, that we mostly spend our days watching Thomas, playing trains, reading, making blocks or drawing. As I'm working from home these days, I can't leave the house, so the park/swimming is left for days I have off as holiday :(

Earl goes 3 mornings and I plan activities for the non-school days as we're all exhausted by the time we're back home and settled. I potter about doing jobs, telly is on with a DVD, toys are out and the kids busy themselves. After tea we all play tigether, maybe do colours or bricks for example and read. Otherwise it's a free-play time. If we did all 5 days I'd maybe do one activity oer week, thar he really liked to break monotony.I don't get help either and if I had to think up fun things every day I think we'd all get a bit sick of it.

Jenny you loon you're doing loads!! He is getting so much stimulation in there that a bit of quieter play and bonding with mummy is just what he needs afterwards. He probably loves the chance to snuggle on the sofa when his sister is in bed as he gets you all to himself.

When Ellie comes home from nursery we just play at home til dinner time and then she gets to watch some TV and then lots of books before bed. But we always make sure and do something fun at the weekends (swimming, day trips, walks etc.).

Awk thanks, wish I felt like it sometimes :blush:

Aimee-lou I guess that's kind of our set up as well. I just thought it maybe wasn't enough or that they were bored. Maybe I am over-thinking it all :/

As well as the whole activity thing, I think I'm finding it a struggle having him in preschool all the time. The whole week revolves around preschool and getting ready for it/winding down from it and then he is too tired to do the fun stuff. That is my problem to deal with though, I think I just miss the way we used to have it..!

Jenny you loon you're doing loads!! He is getting so much stimulation in there that a bit of quieter play and bonding with mummy is just what he needs afterwards. He probably loves the chance to snuggle on the sofa when his sister is in bed as he gets you all to himself.

When Ellie comes home from nursery we just play at home til dinner time and then she gets to watch some TV and then lots of books before bed. But we always make sure and do something fun at the weekends (swimming, day trips, walks etc.).

Lol maybe so, I just wish I felt like it sometimes!

I know he does enjoy the sofa time, I must get told about 60 times how much he loves me :haha:

haha even a 3-yr-old can tell you you're doing a good thing! :thumbup:

I think you're doing great hun :hugs:

We do 30 mins piano lessons twice a week, the centre is 5 mins away from home by car, I take him to a play area once a week but only because he asks to go, I have time to take him out after pre-school, he comes back home at 1.45 pm.

At home we read books everyday, he likes to do some kind of arts work, he plays on the keyboad for 15 mins, we jump on the trampoline, he rides on his balance bike or pushes around his ride on car everyday, & he plays with a toy or two on his own. Some days he gets a messy play time with water, towels & cups in his playroom.

He doesn't watch tv anymore (his choice).

Today they had a fire drill at school & they took them for a tour around the outdoor sections, he was so tired, he ended up naping in the car. His energy level depends on the activities at school. They dont take them out door much yet as the weather is still hot, I think once they start to do more outdoor activities he will not have energy to ask to go to the mall. Once the weather is a bit cooler, we will start to go to the park or walks around the building.

Sounds like you are doing plenty to keep your lb amused. :)

Before ihsan started pre school we did loads every day and I have been feeling a bit similar to you. I cut back all his classes except his football class on a Tuesday, we go to soft play 1 afternoon and the park at least once through the week but we do lots more at home these days. Ihsan is only in pre school 9-11.30am they play for 45mins outside each day and he is always happy to play at home for a bit afterwards. By 2pm he is ready to go out again, but we usually just go out for an hour or so then it's home again. X

Thanks all, I really better typing it out. I'm doing ok, we're ok :thumbup: I just overthink things sometimes and can stress myself out too easily :/

I think the thing is they are still doing all the exciting things and activities it's just we're not with them :-( my boys don't go every day but the days they go are exhausted. They go all day on a Thursday and basically I get them up ready to school pick them up at 3 home prepare tea bath and asleep by 6!!! I feel like I don't see them on a Thursday and get quite sad that from next September when they sart school it's going to be like that every day!! Cherishing every moment I am now xx

Yes I guess that's it! I think I am definitely finding that more of a struggle than he is! :/. I obviously still have my other LO but our time is restricted to preschool hours so we don't venture very far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->