Adult acne post birth control

Timetotry

Reaction score
Hi ladies!
Have any of you experienced adult acne after stopping BCP?

I never had it as a teen, but now I do.
Vitex has helped a bit but it still comes and goes.

What worked for you to get rid of it?

I mentioned it to my doctor today, he said he noticed it. Ugh. He also said if we haven't been able to get pregnant in 2-3 more months that he will check my testosterone levels. Now I'm nervous about my testosterone!

(I've been off BCP for 8 months)

heyy it may have been as a result of hormone imbalance after coming off the bcp. I had bcps before to prevent my acne symptoms (another way they can be used) so i guess your coming off it your bodys still getting used to the change, maybe try some herbal acne remedies? (im really into my herbs) ive been having the pukka 'cleanse too' as its got fennel which is good for skin & fertility so its like two in one! but yeah its totally normal to have symptoms like that after coming off bcp.

Yes I had it really bad and it turned out to be a symptom of my pcos that I was diagnosed with soon after coming off the pill (the pill can mask pcos symptoms) that's prob why he wants to test your testosterone as it will be high if you have pcos to rule it out.

I also found mine was being cause by my PCOS. Problem is, I also have extremely sensitive skin so all the other acne treatment would burn my skin. I cleared my skin with Mary Kay.

oh my god, is that why i'd got spots all over my cheeks all of a sudden? Ive been on bcp's for years and came off about 7 months ago and all of a sudden my face is spotty!

I've been on Vitex for almost 6 months now, and I was using an herbal skin pill (I forget the name).
Definitely detoxing!!

I just thought by 8 months, it would be settled down!
My cycles seem to have leveled out, they only vary by a few days now.

I'm hoping my testosterone is ok. I don't want a pcos diagnosis. What other symptoms did you have?

I am in the same boat with the acne. I am about 5 months off the pill and my hormones are a messssss. Feeling the same way as you and wanted to commiserate

I've been on Vitex for almost 6 months now, and I was using an herbal skin pill (I forget the name).
Definitely detoxing!!

I'm hoping my testosterone is ok. I don't want a pcos diagnosis. What other symptoms did you have?

Does your doctor know that your taking Vitex and that it is safe for TTCing? I am just wondering because doctor wants me hardly on anything. I have endometriosis and possibly pcos because I could not ovulate on my own and I have realized that my acne did not flare up until I came off of BC. I don't want to be the negative nancy, but it has been a year and I still have bad acne, I feel like I have to go back on it just to relieve my endo pain and acne! Hopefully yours will clear up soon though and I hope that everything goes perfect!

Definitely detoxing!!

Does your doctor know that your taking Vitex and that it is safe for TTCing? I am just wondering because doctor wants me hardly on anything. I have endometriosis and possibly pcos because I could not ovulate on my own and I have realized that my acne did not flare up until I came off of BC. I don't want to be the negative nancy, but it has been a year and I still have bad acne, I feel like I have to go back on it just to relieve my endo pain and acne! Hopefully yours will clear up soon though and I hope that everything goes perfect!

No but my nutritionist does. (She's a certified holistic nutritionist).
I've read a bunch of other info saying that Vitex is okay for ttc and can help maintain progesterone levels during early pregnancy.
She told me that if we aren't pregnant within 3 months to come see her again and she will give me some other things to try.
I have to get some more Vitex tonight, so I may ask her for her opinion on testosterone levels.

Good luck with your acne and endo!

I have been using eminence organic skin care products, tamanu nut oil and occasionally tea tree. I love the products but I think I need something else!
I might try cutting out dairy for a bit and seeing if that helps. I'm not a big red meat eater so I don't need to cut back on that. But I could probably cut back on sugar too! Hopefully something helps!

Ugh yes - much worse since stopping bcp - I was on yaz and one side effect was great skin...I miss that!!

P.S. I'm also taking vitex - this is my 3rd month taking it - I had a chemical last month but I firmly believe vitex is what lengthened my luteal phase! I went from 9 days to 13!

Hi ladies!

I mentioned it to my doctor today, he said he noticed it. Ugh. He also said if we haven't been able to get pregnant in 2-3 more months that he will check my testosterone levels. Now I'm nervous about my testosterone!

Thought I'd share my experience, and advice, as I too suffer acne off the pill..

I went on the pill in late teens because of acne, and everytime I have come off it, my skin gets EXTREMELY oily, and then eventually the pimples return. This occurs on my face, scalp, neck, chest and back.

I came off the pill for good at the end of May this year and the excessive oily skin come back with in a 1 month. I decided that enough was enough, and I wanted to know why I suffer this oily skin as I am almost 28 years old!! I also noticed that my hair line started to receade, and hair was dramatically thinning out (I noticed this last time I went off the pill as well).

Anyway, I went to the doctor hoping to be referred to a dermatologist, but am now doing tests to see if I have PCOS instead (which the doctor suspected could be a possibility).. unconfirmed as yet.

Even though I don't know thats the cause yet, I decided to research what foods aggrevate PCOS sympthoms, and saw that a lot of websites reccommended cutting high GI carbs and processed/high sugar foods, and also to include lots of good fats (nuts, avocado etc) as it helps regulate the hormones.

So I cut out bread/pasta/rice, as well as any sweets (I will eat fruit if I want something sweet now), and I also cut down on processed foods (I would say only 15% of my diet is processed stuff now). This cleared my skin up amazingly! It is still oily, but no major pimples breakouts at all - it's really cleared up! I also included avocado and unsalted nuts into my diet and have noticed my period cycle's getting more and more regular!

Anyway, this won't be everyone's cup of tea (I really miss donuts, vanilla slice and cupcakes :(), but I do reccommended eating like this for clearing up the skin!

Sorry, for the long winded post! Being a long-time acne sufferer (and knowing the affect it can have your self-esteem), I just really wanted to share my experience, and what I have found works for me!

Best of luck!

I am now on metformin for my pcos and its definitely helped my skin!

Hi ladies!

Thought I'd share my experience, and advice, as I too suffer acne off the pill..

I went on the pill in late teens because of acne, and everytime I have come off it, my skin gets EXTREMELY oily, and then eventually the pimples return. This occurs on my face, scalp, neck, chest and back.

I came off the pill for good at the end of May this year and the excessive oily skin come back with in a 1 month. I decided that enough was enough, and I wanted to know why I suffer this oily skin as I am almost 28 years old!! I also noticed that my hair line started to receade, and hair was dramatically thinning out (I noticed this last time I went off the pill as well).

Anyway, I went to the doctor hoping to be referred to a dermatologist, but am now doing tests to see if I have PCOS instead (which the doctor suspected could be a possibility).. unconfirmed as yet.

Even though I don't know thats the cause yet, I decided to research what foods aggrevate PCOS sympthoms, and saw that a lot of websites reccommended cutting high GI carbs and processed/high sugar foods, and also to include lots of good fats (nuts, avocado etc) as it helps regulate the hormones.

So I cut out bread/pasta/rice, as well as any sweets (I will eat fruit if I want something sweet now), and I also cut down on processed foods (I would say only 15% of my diet is processed stuff now). This cleared my skin up amazingly! It is still oily, but no major pimples breakouts at all - it's really cleared up! I also included avocado and unsalted nuts into my diet and have noticed my period cycle's getting more and more regular!

Anyway, this won't be everyone's cup of tea (I really miss donuts, vanilla slice and cupcakes :(), but I do reccommended eating like this for clearing up the skin!

Sorry, for the long winded post! Being a long-time acne sufferer (and knowing the affect it can have your self-esteem), I just really wanted to share my experience, and what I have found works for me!

Best of luck!

Good for you!!
I know I could definitely benefit from cleaning up my diet. So maybe it's time to make the change.

I have never had skin issues before. When I was a teenager, I had no skin problems at all. I started bcp at 17. Stopped it once for 3 months (to see if it was the cause of my migraines, it wasn't). 12 years later, I'm 29 and have acne. Ugh.

I'm really hoping I don't have PCOS. I'm nervous. I wish the doctor would have just tested me yesterday instead of making me wait for a few more months!!

I was the same I had perfect skin before I took the pill (I was about 16-17) and was 26 when I come off it and my skin was horrendous. Sadly when I eventually got pregnant it got far worse and covered my face, chest and shoulders :( within an hour of delivering him it cleared up! But then a month or 2 later the pcos skin crept back in (obv as my body tried to normalize post pregnancy) then I started metformin and now it's not perfect but prob 80% Better than it was!

Good for you!!
I know I could definitely benefit from cleaning up my diet. So maybe it's time to make the change.

I have never had skin issues before. When I was a teenager, I had no skin problems at all. I started bcp at 17. Stopped it once for 3 months (to see if it was the cause of my migraines, it wasn't). 12 years later, I'm 29 and have acne. Ugh.

I'm really hoping I don't have PCOS. I'm nervous. I wish the doctor would have just tested me yesterday instead of making me wait for a few more months!![/QUOTE]

It would be frustrating considering you didn't have acne before going on the pill!

There could be other reasons for your acne (maybe your body has just had a hard time re-ajusting post pill), so don't let it stress you too much yet!

It is a pain they can't do a test for you on the spot, as it would be nice to know what's going on. How come your doctor is making you wait a few months tho? I couldn't get tested on the spot, but I was able to book the tests within a couple of weeks of my appointment with her. Maybe you could aks them to bring it forward a bit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->