Advice about someone I know with a 2 1/2 month old...

Sophie1205

TTC #2
Reaction score
I wont say who but someone I know has a 2 1/2 month old as I said and she said to me today that she was gonna start giving him baby rice soon...

IMO this is wayyy too early. But I dont like to offend.. so I just said like "Isnt it a bit early?" But I dont really want to say much else because its not my place to say nor do I have any say in it.

But I dont know what to do.... I dont want her LO to get an upset tummy or anything.

I started weaning Leo at 4 1/2 months and I advised her to wait as close to 4 or 6 months as possible.

Should I give more advice or just stay out of it?

I feel bad :blush:

I would try and offer some more advice without being too forceful if you can. 2.5 months is waaaay too early!

I would probably try and say something, just not be too pushy. Maybe send her an article about starting solids, like that has in general how to start and all but also includes how you should wait and why and act like your just being helpful with her starting..maybe once she reads the other parts she will hold off? Or atleast then you know she knows for sure, can't make her not do it you know? But atleast she is aware of the risks

yeah she doesnt have the internet so i cant email her something or send her a link and if say i printed off something it might seem like im being a bit too intrusive (plus i dont have a printer hahaha)

Maybeee if i read up on the risks and find out alot of facts for myself and sorta put it in conversation. I just dont wanna upset her but at the same time I really want her to hold off giving him food untill at least 4 months.

Argh Im confused lol! x

Hmm yeah that makes it hard. Here is a good one you can read and bring it up with her some

https://askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp#T032001

i gave my baby a few spoonfuls here and there, of baby rice, ect. when she was nearly 3 months. but thats what i felt comfortable doing and what i felt was right for my baby. Some people like to go strictly by the guidelines others use what they feel is 'instinctively right' i suppose.
But incase she wasnt fully aware of the 'guidelines' and you feel you want to do something.
I would try bringing up something like 'oh, did your doctor recommend you start feeding him before 6 months'
'what made you start feeding him so early?'
just so that you know you,ve said something.

thanks for the advice Jazmine, much appreciated and btw just so you know I wasnt judging anyonneeee at all by when the start weaning their baby but as im close to them I just want her to fully know what shes doing iykwim?

Thanks Mommyof3 I'll have a look at that now x

Both of my daughters were having breakfast of two tea spoons of baby rice or puree fruit at 3 months. my SIL said to me with DD1 that shwe was ready for food because when you ate near her she would copy. so we tried it and she loved it. i also think she may have been extra hungry because she would sleep 12 hours a night from 3 months.
if a baby is not ready then they will spit it out its a reflex. I hope this helps.
good luck
also my children have no food allergies or intolerance for eating early and still breast feed until they self weened

we started baby rice at 11 weeks cos katie was starving. spoke to the HV and she said basically its not advised now, but in the olden days when she had kids thats what they did and it never did them any harm. but obv she had to tell me to hold off on it. i only gave baby rice until 16 weeks when i started with veggies and meat, she's only just really started on chicken!! but some babies it is necessary, i see where you're coming from with your friend tho!!xx

I started baby rice at 3 months in the evening... Baby rice is very easy to digest and really isnt that much different then formula...

I dont think it is your business to comment... baby rice wont harm the baby, if the baby isnt ready then he will likely start to colic more and she can make the choice to stop herself.

We gave Maley baby rice at nearly three months cos milk wasnt sustaining her. Ask her why she is weaning her so early? I wouldnt be offended by that question. If she doing it for the sake of it then thats wrong IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->