Advice and tips for going on holiday with a 22 mo!

SmileyKez

Reaction score
We're not going till November, but as there'll be no summer stuff in the shops I'm trying to be super organised!

Has anyone got any tips or advice of things I need to take, like should I buy nappies there? How much clothing do I take? Is there any food I can take just incase?

This is meant to be a break but I am thinking it's going to be super stressful! It's a 4 hr flight and we'll be staying in a villa so will have a washing machine!

Wait till the sales - don't buy now!

Wrap everything in your hand luggage even bags of snacks so that she gets to open lots of things, both exciting & time consuming ;) have a few new toys for the plane.

Stickers, lots of stickers - my 4yr old makes pictures my 2 yr old sticks them all over me & himself & the tray table.

I love easyjet snack packs for kids :) £4.50 - mini hula hoops, cheese dipper, mini biscuits & Nutella dip, pot of fruit pieces, raisins, kinder egg, crayons & pics to colour in the box. Only helps if you fly easyjet!

Nappies - depends how long you're going & where. I'd take enough for 2-3days and then buy, they usually cost more than in the uk but nappies are bulky and surprisingly heavy and XS baggage costs more than foreign nappies!

1 kid, 1 or 2 adults you should be fine! I'm flying solo with 3 this summer!!!! Eeek! I'm used to flying solo with 2 and we've got it down well now.

If you're happy with the risk I find hard lollipops very useful for take off/landing

Do not get iPad or similar going before take off as having to turn it off is hell . Likewise I don't get it out after an appropriate break before landing (usually no iPad after snack/ meal) in fact I generally avoid it all together! Comfy headphones are a must for iPad/Dvd player if you do choose to use it.

Depending on size (yours & theirs), cost & airline policy I'd look into getting a seat for a 22mth old too rather than having her on your knee for the whole flight.

My son was under 2 this summer but could share his 4yr old brothers seat with the armrest up after take off

Thanks for that! We chicken out of going on our own so we are going with my parents, 4 adults, 1 child! 😆 You are very brave I must say lol!

Thanks for that! We chicken out of going on our own so we are going with my parents, 4 adults, 1 child! �� You are very brave I must say lol!

You'll be fine!!! Although I find grandparents manage to disappear for flights!

In terms of how much clothes - I tend to take an outfit a day (if they stay cleanish I don't have to wash then!) plus 2-3 evening/smarter outfits depending on length of trip. Shoes I'd take trainers (foreign playgrounds often have hard gravelly sand) sandals and crocs for beach. 2 sets of swimwear.

A few favoured small toys - playmobil, jigsaws, colouring, cars. Favourite book. String to make pasta jewelry! We tend to buy cheap beach ball, Velcro catch game etc there.

Where are you going? We only take snacks for the travelling as we go places where my LO will eat the food (but he's not picky and will eat just about anything)

I agree, unless you are going to use the clothes over this summer I would wait for the sales.

Another option for nappies is depending on which airport you are flying from you can make an preorder with Boots to collect in the airport and you can pick up and take carry on baggage and it doesn't count as your allowance.

I always overpack on clothes so shouldn't answer that question :haha: Going to try to be better this holiday as lo doesn't tend to go through more than one set of clothes a day.

Just try not to stress and enjoy yourself. Our LO is always a star on holiday because we end up having so much fun.

Wrap everything in your hand luggage even bags of snacks so that she gets to open lots of things, both exciting & time consuming ;) have a few new toys for the plane.

Stickers, lots of stickers - my 4yr old makes pictures my 2 yr old sticks them all over me & himself & the tray table.

I love easyjet snack packs for kids :) £4.50 - mini hula hoops, cheese dipper, mini biscuits & Nutella dip, pot of fruit pieces, raisins, kinder egg, crayons & pics to colour in the box. Only helps if you fly easyjet!

Nappies - depends how long you're going & where. I'd take enough for 2-3days and then buy, they usually cost more than in the uk but nappies are bulky and surprisingly heavy and XS baggage costs more than foreign nappies!

1 kid, 1 or 2 adults you should be fine! I'm flying solo with 3 this summer!!!! Eeek! I'm used to flying solo with 2 and we've got it down well now.

If you're happy with the risk I find hard lollipops very useful for take off/landing

Do not get iPad or similar going before take off as having to turn it off is hell . Likewise I don't get it out after an appropriate break before landing (usually no iPad after snack/ meal) in fact I generally avoid it all together! Comfy headphones are a must for iPad/Dvd player if you do choose to use it.

Just a heads up, on easyjet you don't have to turn the hand held electronics (iPads, mobiles, etc) off anymore at take off or landing. :happydance:

Just a heads up, on easyjet you don't have to turn the hand held electronics (iPads, mobiles, etc) off anymore at take off or landing. :happydance:

That must be fairly recent but is fantastic news! Thanks

That must be fairly recent but is fantastic news! Thanks

Yes it was only about a month ago. :happydance:

https://support.easyjet.com/electronic-devices

This :)

Also if you have a washing machine don't worry about over packing. Even without one I always take some Persil and hand wash the odd bit as and when needed.
Definitely echo buying nappies out there-I tend to take two days worth and buy when I get there. Try to find a proper supermarket rather than a local tourist one as they'll be cheaper. I do tend to take swimming nappies with me though.
You may find that the change in water makes your Los poo softer!
Also stock up on water from the supermarket as it's usually much cheaper (when we were in Spain last time we found a 2l bottle of water in the tourist supermarket was €2 but we could buy 6 x 2l bottles from the proper supermarket for €2.5).

I also tend to buy a spade when we get there and then find someone to pass it in to at the end if the holiday. That or else I've found spades that have been left by other parents and then again I leave it for someone else at the end.

A sun unbrella might be an idea-we are going to Rhodes in aug and we've taking one with us otherwise it's going to cost a fortune hiring one at the beach all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->