Advice Needed: Sleep Positioners

Lottie86

Mummy to Findlay & Iona
Reaction score
I'm slightly overwhelmed by the amount of different types of sleep positioners out there of varying types and I don't know which is best!

There seem to be some that are just blocks to stop them rolling over, some with memory foam pillows to help stop them getting flat heads and some that keep them on their sides.

Part of me was tempted to go for the one that keeps them on their side as the flat head thing has only been an issue since they changed the guidelines to babies sleeping on their backs my midwife said at antenatal classes plus if they are sick in the night I'd have thought them being on their side is better than being flat on their back.

HELP!!! Any advice as to what you use or what you think is best would be much appreciated as I am so confused by it all.

Attachments

• anti roll.jpg
    anti roll.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 0
  • pillow.jpg
    pillow.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 0
If they are sick while lying on their back they will turn their heads (seen Hannah do it) Honestly we never bought a sleep positioner, when she was little she never really moved all that much in her sleep, and once she started rolling we let her sleep whichever way she wants

We've got the first one you have pictured in your post. To be honest, we've not used it much yet, as Alyssa has been sleeping in her Moses basket and not her cotbed.

Vickie's right about the sick issue - babies will automatically turn their heads if they are sick while lying on their back. Have seen Alyssa do it as well.

x

I never bought one either. If you do decide to sleep him on his side make sure you rotate sides. You don't want to have one side of his head being flat.

Niamh was born with some health problems and had to sleep on her side as her tongue would slip back and she would stop breathing. We never had a sleep positioner though we just rolled up a blanket and put it behind her to stop her from rolling on her back.

Also, Niamh doesn't have a flat head at the back but she does have a flat head/face on the side she slept!

I personally wouldn't bother getting one.

Thanks everyone :D With the fact that so many websites and shops sell them that I had assumed that it was something I had to have :dohh:

we didn't buy one either. I think they're just a gadget tbh. I did buy something similiar called a snugglenest though so she could sleep safely in our bed but if your not plannin on co sleeping i wouldn't bother unless you really like/want one.

i let zane decide how he wanted to sleep and if he was havin trouble sleepin on his side which he wanted to i put a pillow behind his back and he cuddled his tiger

I considered getting one for Ellie but decided not to bother cus i just thought she'll sleep the way shes most comfy which she now does.

I had one given to me but I never used it. Our nurses warned against trying to force a new baby to sleep in a certain position. Claire would turn herself on her side as a newborn, but because she was doing it on her own it was considered okay.

I personally was too afraid if it'd up the risk of SIDS so I didn't use it. You could always research them to see if they are considered safe, I've known people who have used them and their babies were fine. Personal choice I suppose?

Ive got the first one you posted with out the toys on it thought ..honestly you dont really need them but its more of a personal choice .

I still use them once in a while as max likes to sleep on his side and have some back support

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->