Advice on consolidating pumpings

leoeps1982

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been EBF for 3 months so far. I intend to continue at least to 6 months, and then starting LO on solids along with BM.

Before, when LO was less than 1 month, we were all over the place with nursing, pumping, sleeping. From 1 month to 10 weeks, we started to get a nice schedule. Sleeping 11-7am, six feedings a day, first at 7am, last at 10:30pm. I also got up to pump 5-6oz at 3am, because my boobs wouldnt make it to morning, they were too engorged, and I was afraid of getting mastitis again. Also wanted a nice freezer stash.

From 10 weeks to now (3months), LO dropped the last feed. So now he sleeps 9pm-7am (I know, its amazing, I am so grateful!!!), with 5 feedings, first at 7am, last at 8pm. However, now I pump twice a night. Once at 11pm, and once at 3am. Both times getting a total of 4-5oz.

I would like to pump once a night, maybe like at 2am, instead of at 11pm and 3am. How do I slowly transition to doing this, without getting engorged/risking mastitis?

Slowly reduce the time or output of your first pump. For example, you could cut down by 5min or 1-2 oz every 3 days. Once you are down to about 2 oz, try dropping the session. But feel free to pump a little or hand express if it's really uncomfortable. If you've had mastitis before, you will want to reduce very gradually since your chance of getting it again is higher than someone who has never had it before.

I'd just do it. It doesn't take your body long to pick up on that. When babies naturally start sleeping through every bfing mom goes through this. You'll probably leak at first but after 2 days I bet you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->