Advice on expressing

Annahilditch

Reaction score
My LO is 3 weeks old tomorrow and we seem to be doing ok on BF. My husband works night and sleeps till about 2pm so I wanted to start expressing so he can help on days off as I feel a bit like a milk machine doing all nights and most of day on my own. Just wanted some advice on expressing. I'm quite nervous about new things with the baby (nearly cried when we gave her first proper bath) it so hard going from being a professional and doing a job you know to be a mummy and feeling like a failure everyday because it's all so new. Midwife advised against expressing for first 6 weeks our using a breast pump she said to pump by hand but I really don't fancy that. What so you ladies do? When and how much do you express? Do you keep it in the bottles (I have the little round tommy tippee ones) do you keep the teat on when storing in fridge? Thanks for your time. I just feel so confused and overwhelmed

Try not to feel too overwhelmed, its fine once you get into a routine. I ignored the health visitor's warning of not to express or introduce a bottle before 6 weeks and DD has no problems, no nipple confusion or teat preference.

I had to hand express and cup feed before my milk came in as DD had jaundice, but then went on to using an electric pump to express when DD was a week old. I only express once a day, after DD's morning feed. She tends to only want one breast in the morning and doesn't drain it so once she's finished I pump on the other side, then pump any remaining on the side she fed from. I tend to get about 4oz now.

If I'm pumping to bottle feed while we're out somewhere I can't comfortably feed, I store it in the fridge in a tommee tippee bottle but with a bottle lid rather than a teat. If not, I've started freezing milk in freezer bags for use over Christmas so I can have a cheeky glass of wine or 2.

Hope this helps :flower:

I had to express for comfort when my milk first came in, and hand expressing was too painful. I started when ds was 4 or 5 days old. I was lucky enough to have a friend lend me an electric double pump. I, too, express when baby only wants one breast, usually once per day but sometimes more. I get from 3 to 5 ounces each pump. I put most in the deep freeze in freezer bags. Every couple days I will let dh feed baby with previously pumped milk in a bottle, and I'll pump in lieu of feeding that time to maintain supply and keep a good freezer stash.

You can pretty much store it in the fridge in anything that can be sterilized and properly sealed.

Hi! I expressed for The first time tonight got about 3oz. If LO doesn't drink it all in one go can it go back in fridge or does it need to be discarded? Also do you guys walk expressed milk or do you feed it to LO straight from the fridge? Thanks for your help it's all so new

Just a quick follow up question. Did you guys express just one breast a day or both? I'm expressing so DH can help with the occasional feed.

If DD doesn't drink it all, I keep it out in case she wants a bit more in an hour or twos time. If there's any left after 2 hours it gets discarded. Any milk from the fridge we always warm up in a jug of hot water.

I tend to express straight after feeding DD so I will pump the opposite side to which she fed on first, then attempt the side she fed on.

^^ I agree with this, I do the same. I get about 3-5 ounces and I usually freeze it, but I always keep one bottle in the fridge for dh to bottle feed. For that feed, I will express from both breasts and for me that's 2 feedings :)

Just remember it will affect your milk supply if you pump often, then if you stop pumping then supply will decrease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->