Advice please... anti-depressants - yes or no?

tickledpink

Mum to Zachary <3
Reaction score
I haven't been a member of this forum for very long but me and my OH will have been TTC for two years in January. He's due to have a small operation on Monday for varicocele to help with a low sperm count and I'm due to start acupuncture for irregular cycles the following week. After struggling with doctors over the last 12 months just to get this far, I'm now starting to wonder if it's all worth it.

I tried the 'PMA' thing this cycle, I started temping and using some decent OPK's (for a change). I got my first ever +OPK and we'd been BD'ing several days before so we stupidly thought we were in with a chance! I'm still waiting for AF to arrive but I know she's going to be here soon, I can just sense it. I don't think the 'PMA' is going to work, it's just setting me up for an even bigger let down when I get that :bfn: I'm now trying to convince myself that I'm 'not' pregnant so that I won't be so upset when AF arrives but that's only made things worse. I went to work Monday, a friend said hello and I burst in to tears. Ever since then, I can't seem to stop crying. I've even taken today off work because I started crying again and I can't remember why I started. The OH was worried about me and talked me in to going back to the doctors. She suggested anti-depressants... again! I stupidly started crying while talking to her about it :( Anyways, I told her no but she said to have a think about it.

I want to be a mother more than anything but the way I'm feeling at the moment, I can't ever see it happening. We have another hospital appointment in May next year, the first one being in May this year. I sat there for an hour telling them everything i had told my doctor, only for them to tell me to have sex more often and come back in a year when we qualify for IVF :hissy: My brother and SIL have no health probs at all but they've had 3 failed IVF attempts and I can't help thinking if they can't conceive, why on earth do I think we will?? I'll be 35 next year and the OH will be 40! I feel like they're not helping at all and just want to tell everyone to stick it! :hissy:

The OH keeps asking me if I've thought about what the doctor said, as he hates seeing me so upset and is worried that it's going to make things harder TTC. I know I can't keep taking time off work just because i cry alot but i don't know if tablets are the answer. I know I can't be the only one that feels like this, but does anyone think meds will work??

]*Sorry for the long ramble*

this is just going to be a short reply.

its totally up to you if you want to go onto anti d's, for some people they work, for others they dont or need some other kind of tablet iykwim.

i lost my baby girl in january after falling pregnant with absent af's and after she was born for thr first time in my life i had regular periods. i hit the tablets for reasons you can understand and after that the tablets completely knocked my periods back for 6.

im not sayin that it happens with everyone but ther are a lot of things to take into conssideration.

sorry if its not much help, do what you feel is best for you and try get some background info before you decide :hug:

Oh no sounds like you've been having a tough time...

Wanna give you a big :hugs: I don't know much about fertility and anti-depressants but my OH has been on them for years now and he is much better for it, but have been wondering if/how it affects fertility? (I know it's different for men but would be good to know!) If it doesn't affect fertility then would def say give it a go, as being stressed out and upset probably won't help you with conceiving.......

Hope that helps?

:hug:

Let us know what you decide..... xxx

Oh and I also think it makes a difference exactly which pills/makes etc they would prescribe?

Hi there, I think I can help with this question...I'll try to keep this short but if you want more info please PM me. I've been on antidepressants since I was about 18, I'm 34 now. There are a couple main types of depression- reactive and clinical. I have the clinical kind- there for no rhyme or reason. I have tried to get off my medication before, and it never works, I just fall apart. Reactive depression is in response to stressful life events- like having trouble conceiving a baby. In either case, anti-depressants can be very helpful with therapy and other treatments.

So, here I am TTC #1 and my doctor had advised me to stop taking them while TTC, which I did, and then slowly fell apart again. So, I made the decision to go back on them (I take Prozac), at least until I get a BFP. I still need to do some more research, but my doctor said that while it's not risk-free to keep taking them, you have to weigh the pros and the cons. He said that there are certain anti-depressants are better for pregnant women (I think he named Zoloft).

In the end it's a personal decision you will have to make, but I don't think it affects fertility, if that's what you're worried about. Considering your stress level, it may actually help you conceive.

That being said, good luck, keep a positive attitude and know you have friends here in the same boat. :hugs:

as a person that has grown up with a mum on antidepressants and now living with my oh that is house bond becouse of the stupid drugs i would from the bottom of my hart say no! dnt take em i have seen my mum nealy kill her self coz of the things. she is off them now but took 5 yrs to come off em. my oh has been on em 10yrs and trying to come off it is killing me waching him coz i cnt help him.

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->