Advice please - what age would this suit?

Bid

Reaction score
We're doing up DS's bedroom ready for xmas eve in the hope he'll sleep in it (2.8 and still in our bed!), and thought a race car bed could be a good
bribe. We've already tried different duvet covers etc to no avail, he has the Ikea Malm toddler bed but it's just too narrow for him and he doesn't look comfy (he likes to lie at funny angles!) so we're definitely going for a full sized single this time. We need something that will last a few years and a lot of the race car beds are a bit simple or babyish, but I've found these ones which looks a bit more grown up. Not too bothered about him "going off" the whole car thing as his dad is 42 and still into them lol. But I want a bed him and his friends will still think is cool in a few years, not something that will embarrass him. So, for mums with older boys - what age do you think something this would do up to?

https://www.bedworld.net/artisan-car-racer-bed-frame

There's also this one which is definitely suited to older boys but it's very long because of the spoiler at the back so it'd take up a bit more room (wouldn't be paying 299 for it, this site just has the best photos).

https://www.greytowersinteriors.co.uk/scorpion-childrens-novelty-race-car-bed.html

My DS is 10 and he would probably sleep in one of those beds, so i think you would get at least 5 yrs + out of it!! and if you had the room i would go for the second one, but they are both nice :)

Hmmm I've not got older boys both mine are little people's still haha

But I'd say til about 6/7

Hard to say my oldest has never been hardcore into cars but I guess a car mad kid would like it til about 6/7 I don't really know of any older boys that still play with cars in that way they are more into the details/specs

we have a car bed which he was so excited about when we got it but now at 4 he hates it and just wants superhero everything.
i think i'll sell ours tbh as they take up room which when i need to fit 2 beds in isn't ideal plus theres no underbed storage.

I'd say no older than 8.

It's a risky purchase as he might change his interests over time and ask for a change. It's a lot of money to splash out every few years.

Thanks ladies. The other option is to keep the double bed in there, he likes sleeping in that (in fact he did last night!) but it's a high metal frame so it's not very child friendly. Ikea do a basic wooden frame for £35 which we could cut the legs down on to make it really low to the ground, and it can be painted. Wondering if that'd be a better compromise. It doesn't leave as much floor space for toys but I suppose in a couple of years he'd rather have the bigger bed to lounge on and play video games lol!

https://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/30185064/

I'm thinking I could make a padded headboard quite easily to cover the hard wooden one (bit of hardboard with some wadding and fabric stapled around it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->