advice please

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Katiex, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Katiex

Katiex Mummy to Jacob and WTT

jacob is just over 2 weeks old and the last couple of days he has become really ruttley (sp?) and grizzley. he sounds like he is having difficulty breathing due to increased mucus etc especially at night, but he is breathing fine. he isnt poorly, his temp is average, he is feeding ok and sleeping fine. health visitor says it is just increased mucus and not to worry he will get rid of it, but he is showing no signs of shifting it. they have offered us to go to the doctors but as he isnt poorly, temperature fine etc feel like im wasting an appointment when someone who is poorly is missing out. he is also coughing to try and get rid and also trying to be sick but it isnt working.

is it normal for them to have increased mucus etc at this age? does anyone know how we can help him get rid of it? we have tried everything elevating his moses basket slightly, going into the bathroom after a shower for the steam etc.

he doesnt seem overlly bothered by it as he is still feeding etc but i dont like to hear it or see it as it upsets me!

2. Serene123

Serene123 Guest

Caitlyn had it too, I went to A&E one night because it was so bad :blush: She was FINE though, and I'm sure he is too xx

3. lillysmum

lillysmum Mum of 2 cheeky monkeys

can understand your worry but lucas has been like this too, it didn't help that he had a bit of a cold too but my health visitor said it was normal to be a bit mucousy

4. caggimedicine

caggimedicine Mummy to Harry

Harry had it too but it went after about 3 weeks. It does make you worry when you see them almost cholking. If Harry was particularly bad, I would put a cushion underneath the moses basket to tilt him so his head was slightly raised and it seemed to help him. Unfortunately there's not much else you can do, but they definitely do grow out of it eventually, and i'm sure it won't be long for your baby.

5. mrerox

mrerox One hatched & one cooking

get a humidifier or sit with him in the bathroom while the hot bath is rummer, itll help clear him up. pletny of clear liquids. maybe he needs a breathing treatment (nebulizer), is he coughing at all? his pediatrician would let u know if he recommends it...

6. claire-lou

claire-lou Jack & Martha's Mummy

Jack had this too and it sounds terifying i use to convince myself that he was choking and couldn't breath and jump out of bed and sit him up. But it did clear of it's own accord. Around two-three weeks I think. As long as it isn't effecting his feeding the dr wont do anything