After worrying LO wouldn't take the boob!!!

sun

Mum of 3
Reaction score
:dohh:

OH just tried to feed LO EBM in a bottle and LO won't take it at all. So after all my worry that he wouldn't breastfeed if I gave him a bottle, now he won't drink from a bottle at all. I don't know if it is the temperature or that is was frozen/thawed, or that the nipple is unfamiliar to him - either way he isn't drinking. He just kind of chews on the nipple as if it were a pacifier but doesn't really swallow. At first he screamed since he was hungry and frustrated, but I fed him some and we tried again but still no.
Does anyone have any tips? OH is really disappointed - he wants to be able to feed LO, and I would like to go out for 2h in a row sometime too - haha
Thanks girls-
xx

Warming the nipple/teat
Mom leaving the room
Place a warm hand against LO's cheek (trying to mimic the feel of skin to skin that BFing has)
Different kind of bottle/nipple/teat (what are you using?)
Different time of day

If a bottle doesn't work in the end, try a sippy cup. Some babies do better taking EBM from a cup and there is no rule that they have to take it from a bottle.

my sister ended up using a little medicine dropper thingy (it held 6ml when full) coz her LO wouldnt take it from a bottle & took in too much air from a cup & also dribbled it out of his mouth a lot & she felt bad for 'wasting' her milk... but the dropper worked really wqell & we all had a go doing it in the end, lol, so she could have a bit of a break. In the end though, as he got bigger & hungrier, he started taking the bottle, but had to a) hold her necklace (didnt matter who it was on, but for whatever reason, he just HAD to hold that necklace, lol) and b) liked his cheek to be stroked... otherwise he just chewed on the teat rather than suck.

Warming the nipple/teat
Mom leaving the room
Place a warm hand against LO's cheek (trying to mimic the feel of skin to skin that BFing has)
Different kind of bottle/nipple/teat (what are you using?)
Different time of day

If a bottle doesn't work in the end, try a sippy cup. Some babies do better taking EBM from a cup and there is no rule that they have to take it from a bottle.

Good advice there, I would say just keep trying. Thomas wouldn't take bottle first time we tried but now takes one no problem. He still prefers boob though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->