Age Gaps in adult relationships

MrsT&Ben

Reaction score
Hubby and I have a 10 years between us and have never had any comments made to us and it doesn't have a negative effect on us. What do you think about big age gaps??
Before I was with hubby I always thought that they were a bit odd. Don't know why. After all age is just a number.

Honest Opinons welcome.

There are 9 years between me & DH.

We don't notice the age difference and no one has ever made a comment. My mam only realised how old DH was the other day when Joshua told her, she thought he was younger (we've only been together 6 years...see my mam nearly day...no idea why she didn't know how old he was).

I've always dated older people. My smallest age gap since the age of 14 was 4 years. Was never interested in ones my age.

The big thing for a relationship is if both people want the same things. If they do, who cares about age (provided both are legal)?

Personally, the biggest age gap for me is only 5 years but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have dated someone older than that, under the right circumstances. My husband is actually a few years younger than me, though:haha:.

My dh is 20 years older than me

We have been married 11.5 years, 3 kids and are happier now than we ever have been. We have never had anyone comment on things because of our age gap, never been mistaken for father and daughter either hahaha.

There are some drawbacks though, like when I was in my 20's and he was in his 40's certain things weren't an issue, but now he is turning 58 this year, it's hard to explain, the gap hasn't widened but he IS getting older. There are a lot of things to consider as you approach 60. But that is me thinking on a practical level, which I don't do often, but still, these thoughts are still there. As each year passes the wee worries grow a little.

The generational difference I actually LOVE. We both had very different upbringings, he was born in the 50's to parents who scraped by. I was born in the 70's and was brought up by very wealthy grandparents, so he thinks I am spoiled because we had flaming central heating in the 80's haha. But yeah, that difference gives us a huge amount to talk about

My hubby is 22 years older than me.

I'd dated guys my own age, guys younger than me, guys slightly older than me but M was the first guy I was actually compatible with.

Our age gap has never once affected our relationship and we often forget it's there.
Other people made a big deal out of it when we first started dating (old friends, work colleagues etc), although my family never had a problem with us, they welcomed him in with open arms - which was lovely.

I do sometimes think about the future, I mean kids wise we have to get a move on as we want number 2 and obviously his age comes into consideration with that.
But otherwise we live each day in the present and try not to worry about what may or may not happen as we get older. I love that he's lived more than I have, he knows things that I don't and we're never short of things to talk about.

Dh isn't much older than me, for me I feel 4 years is plenty and I wouldn't go any older, I'm not sure why. Maybe because I still feel like a teen .
My step mum is 15 yrs older than my dad, they're happy, been together 20 yrs. Only odd thing is he's closer in age to her sons than her.
Dh grandad second wife is over 20yrs younger and they have a 23yo daughter together and have been very happily married for a long time.
Still in love now, only thing is he's mid 70's and has had parkinsons for over 12 years.
He's deteriorated considerably over the last 2-3 years and they are all finding it extremely difficult.
Xx

There are 6 years between me and my husband,I think the older you get,the less the age gap seems to matter,I saw something the other day about a 16 year old girl,and a 20 year old bloke,I know it's only 4 years,but to be honest,I wouldn't like my 16 year old dating someone aged 20 or above...it's silly though,as 21 and 25 is the same age gap,but doesn't seem as bad!xx

I wouldn't get into a relationship with a huge age gap, personally. Just because my parents did, my dad was 18 years older than my mum, and his age really affected us as kids. People definitely noticed it and found it weird. He died 10 years ago at 67 so we lost out on a lot of time with him.

I didn't have a choice, I didn't actively go looking for an older man. We met and fell in love, I wasn't able to choose not to do that

Yeah I couldn't not be with hubby because of his age, I fell in love with him and wanted a family with him. He wants to stay fit and healthy for us and he exercises frequently. He's more active with Jacob than I am :).

There are nine years between us, I am 27 OH is 36. Nine years doesn't seem that much to me. I agree with whoever said we just fell in love, I wasn't looking for a certain age or person. X

There are 6 years between me and my husband,I think the older you get,the less the age gap seems to matter,I saw something the other day about a 16 year old girl,and a 20 year old bloke,I know it's only 4 years,but to be honest,I wouldn't like my 16 year old dating someone aged 20 or above...it's silly though,as 21 and 25 is the same age gap,but doesn't seem as bad!xx

I think the same in that depends on how old they are rather then the gap.Like not sure if i would like one my kids was under 21 going out with some one 10+ older them...but got a while to worry about that. there a few couples in the family with 10+ age gap. but the only one ever commented on was my uncle who 37 dating a 18 year old. but they ended up married with 3 kids so just shows all sorts of couples can work.

14 yrs between us, no one can notice the age difference, the only thing we struggle with is mutual friends as most of my friends are younger than me, & his friends are older than him :haha:

There is 20+ years between me and my man yet he's the best thing to ever happen to me we get on fab he acts younger than my ex hubby he is great I never went looking for an older man but its def working for us x

I agree with this :)
The big thing for a relationship is if both people want the same things. If they do, who cares about age (provided both are legal)?

There's 9 years between us, nobody would be able to tell. Before I met Bri I would of ewwed at the thought :haha: but we clicked, and I've never been happier :thumbup:

ETA: When we got together I was 17, neither of us even mentioned/noticed ages for the first week or so of meeting. My dad didn't know there was such a big age gap for well over a year - tbf I act older than he does :lol:

There's 9 years between us, nobody would be able to tell. Before I met Bri I would of ewwed at the thought :haha: but we clicked, and I've never been happier :thumbUp:

Plus you're good friends with old geezers like me and Meli! You just like the older folks :haha:

I'm 5 days older than DH. I'm such a cougar. *meow*

There's 9 years between us, nobody would be able to tell. Before I met Bri I would of ewwed at the thought :haha: but we clicked, and I've never been happier :thumbUp:

Plus you're good friends with old geezers like me and Meli! You just like the older folks :haha:

Must do! I'm a granny magnet :winkwink: :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->