Age Gaps in adult relationships

My DH is 8 years older than me. Before him I always dated older boys. I was 17 when we met. It's never been an issue and we never notice it (apart from when we discuss childhood etc and I like to wind him up!) We have 'grown up' together in many respects throughout our relationship - he didn't have much life experience when we met so we were roughly at the same phase of our life. Our interests/needs/ideas have changed and developed over the years we have been together but we have always been totally in sync. He is the one for me :)

I am 5 and half years older that my oh and sometimes i wonder why i got with him he can be so childish But like the saying goes u cant help who u fall in love with

OH is 10yrs older than me and we've had no issues!

My Husband is 12 years older than me. No one would ever say anything about it. Very few people did when I was 18 and him 30 as I've always been older than my years.
However there are times I notice the difference. His friends are all men in their mid 30s, mine are all girls in their early 20s (needless to say his friends loved our wedding:dohh:). And when I see his friends I can sometimes feel like a school girl. Especially when they start talking about concerts they went to in the 90s and I wasn't even out of primary school!!

Also, it means my SIL is 16 years older than me, which is strange when we're talking about life and kids.

But in our day to day relationship I don't notice anything. As he doesn't look his age at all.

We have 14 years between us we don't notice it at all although do worry I'll grow old alone

There's 5 years between me and OH.

When my mother was with her last partner there was 20 years between them. He was an awful, nasty man who had a taste for children and teenagers. I find it hard to get my head around age gaps that big (and not just because he was an awful person).

As long as the couple are happy, I suppose it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

I could only do 5 years older and I'd prefer to be the younger one, my father is 10 years older than my mother and they are still together now.

OH is 3 years older than me x

My ex was one year older than me. He was also a pathological liar, took hundreds of pounds of my money and left me with nothing. He was a thief, a drug addict, a criminal, and did not value me, my interests or my insecurities. He also didn't wash very often but that's a whole other story. He often went awol for several days and would suddenly get back in contact without any explanation. He told me lies about my friends to turn me against them when in actual fact the truth was he had been caught taking money from them. He made me feel like my troubles were insignificant and wouldn't allow me to discuss any anxieties or worries. He refused to spend time with my friends and made zero effort in our relationship.

My husband is 9 years older, and his age is completely insignificant compared to the fact that he respects me as a person, looks after me when I need it, treats me like a real human being, gave up smoking to show his commitment to me and our family, wants to share his free time with me, I can trust him, he doesn't lie to me (that I know of!), he has a steady job where he is trusted and works hard, he admits when he is wrong, he listens to my opinions and talks to me, he treats me as an equal in our relationship...

I'm not saying that I find older men better in general, but my experience has been that difference in age is not the key component of a successful and loving relationship.

I truly believe you can't help who you fall in love with. As long as it's a legal healthy relationship I think it's each to their own. My DH is only a year older than me which means there's little difference between us :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->