Ages for BLW -- Can you start early? Help!

TigerLady

CaveTiger Clan Mama
Reaction score
I know it is recommended for exclusive BFing for 6 months and I intend to attempt to get there. I want to start BLW at 6 months.

BUT! My Pediatrician recommends starting weaning (with cereal) at 4 months. I have an appt this Friday with him for Otter's next round of immunizations. Otter will be exactly 4 months. I know my Pediatrician will give me a menu and tell me to start weaning him. I intend to stand my ground and say NO, not until he is ready.

So, here is my real question. Is there any reason you shouldn't start BLW earlier than 6 months? I don't intend to start now, but want to base it on Otter's cues. He is a BIG boy (20 lbs at 4 months) and still BF feeds every 2-4 hours, including through the night.

He has started to show interest in adult food already, though not much. I sit him on my lap at dinner time and face him toward the plate. He usually "asks" for little tastes. I will put a little dab of select sauces on my finger and put it to his lips and tongue. He LOVES it. Last night he couldn't get enough of the butter and brown sugar mix on the steamed carrots. I had to cut him off after a few tastes!

So, should I continue to go with his cues, or outright refuse him anything (even tastes) until he is 6 months? If he appears ready, is there any danger in handing him a large chunk of banana and seeing what happens?

Thanks for the input, Ladies!!

Have you read the BLW book hun? I haven't started yet, but it is based on the development of a baby around 6 months of age. Simple things such as the ability to chew and swallow safely aren't in place with babies much younger.

Please don't let anyone bully you into weaning early f you feel your baby isn't ready. You know best as a mum. In my opinion (only mine, i'm not opening up a debate or argument) it is a little bit soon for a baby to be having any sort of tries or tastes of foods at 4 months. If I were you (which of course I'm not, and you know your baby best) I would stop giving tastes and put his interest in foods down to him learning about the world around him and what you are doing.

Hope this helps, and doesn't sound preachy :hugs:

No, it doesn't sound preachy. I welcome all opinions as long as they are given with respect, kindness, and honesty. Honestly, I wasn't too sure about giving him these little tastes (just started this week) but he just seemed so interested in it. And when I tried it (usually with milk based things like cream), he really liked it. I only put a couple of dabs on his lips in a day, but I felt a bit in two minds about it as BLW is supposed to start at 6 months. :muaha:

I hate to deny him something he seems to enjoy, but I don't want to upset his tummy or make him ill, either!

I haven't read the book, will have to find it, thanks!

Aw hun, i know what you mean...but I really don't think at that age it is denying them. I'm sure he wouldn't miss it if you stopped. I think especially with dairy things, allergies can form if things like this are given too early because their systems aren't ready for it yet.

The BLW book is fantastic (its available on amazon) and I think having a read of it would really answer your questions :hugs:

BTW, have you read someplace or have a reference/link to introducing foods/tastes early causing allergies to develop? I'd be curious to read up on it.

There are quite a few bits of info on allergies and early weaning in the BLW book, but essentially its because they aren't producing the enzymes to deal with complex nutrients and the body can see them as an invader and attack them. xxx

I completely agree, and you will love the book, it's great and explains loads of stuff.

The main things it is best to hold off for as long as you can (or want to) are dairy, gluten, wheat, certain types of fish, eggs, anything that commonly causes allergies. The earlier you expose them to these things the more likely it is they will have some sort of intolerance to it, even if it is only small.

Giving solid foods to a baby before he or she can cope with them, can increase the risk of infection and allergies.

By six months, babies are physically ready to start eating solid foods. At this age, babies can sit up with support, control their heads and move food around their mouths. Their digestive and immune systems are also stronger and they are often interested in food and want to chew.

If your baby still seems to be hungry on their usual milk feeds before six months, try offering more milk at each bottle feed if they are finishing the bottle and seem to be looking for more. If you are breastfeeding, try feeding more often.

If you’re concerned about your baby’s health, or you want to start your baby on solid foods before six months, talk to your health visitor or GP first.

Many foods are not suitable for babies under six months, including soft and unpasteurised cheeses, liver and foods that are most likely to cause allergies, such as peanuts, other nuts, seeds, cows’ milk, wheat, eggs, fish and shellfish.

Babies under four months (17 weeks) should not be given solid foods.

Some people think that starting solid foods before six months will help a baby sleep, but there is no evidence to support this.

This is from this website: https://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/baby/weaning/

There is so much stuff on Google, have a read when you have a minute :).

Some of the developmental things they have at six months (and need for BLW) are sitting up unsupported (this lessens the risk of choking), loss of the tongue thrust reflex, feeding themsleves, chewing, swallowing, things like that.

Here is the website that goes with the book: https://www.baby-led.com/

I hope that is all ok, like Laura I don't want to upset anyone either! :hugs: xx

It is not upsetting. Thank you for it! I'm going to talk further with my pediatrician on Friday, but I'll likely stand my ground and refuse to start weaning for a couple of more months. And back off on the tastes, too. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->