• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Agony with sore hips when sleeping

kewpie

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I'm 18.5 weeks and for the last two weeks I have been waking up in agony with sore hips from lying on my side - I've always been a side sleeper and never had this issue, also I googled and can see it's a common pregnancy symptom. If I wake in the middle of the night on my left side, my left hip will be so painful so I turn onto my right and go back to sleep, only to wake again with my right hip aching.

I've seen various ideas online about body pillows, mattress toppers etc...but they seem to have mixed reviews...

Wondering if this is happening to any of you and if you've found a solution?

I have aching hips when i sleep. I havent yet found the perfect remedy although some nights are better than others.

I usually have a cushion in between my legs and one slightly under my bump. Some nights ot works other times it doesnt.

I find i need to sit upright for 5-10 mins every mornong before i can even get out of bed sort of to loosen my hips off.

I had the same i am sure with my daughter and assume its fairly normal but would also love to hear some remedies that work.

Do you find your sleep so broken from turning over all the time. I feel i see every hour at the moment just so i can flip to the other side!

Do you find your sleep so broken from turning over all the time. I feel i see every hour at the moment just so i can flip to the other side!

YES! It's only 11am here and my eyes already feel tired. So much for getting plenty of restful sleep before baby arrives!!

I've been experiencing this as well. I use a body pillow under my bump and between my legs and slightly lean into it. It doesn't help always but it does seem to alleviate some of the pressure.

I always sleep with a pillow between my legs from the 2nd Trimester on! It really helped, along with going to the chiropractor just to keep everything in line.

The broken sleep sucks, I find I have no energy!!

I've only had this mildly and sporadically with this current pregnancy. However, with my first pregnancy, it was horrid! I can't actually remember when it started getting bad... although I do feel it was more around 28+ weeks (I feel for you already experiencing this at 18 weeks :(). We tried everything - body pillows, thick mattress toppers etc. Sadly I can't say anything made a significant difference with the hip pain, and I just had to continually rotate through the night, until I couldn't bare it anymore and I'd end up snoozing in the early AM on one of our couch recliners.

I'm dreading this happening again! Although this time I am seeing an osteopath, who seems good, and has helped with other things, so I am hoping that will lessen the pain for me towards the end.

Hope you can find something that does help a little bit!

Cannot recommend body pillows enough! They help so much (and are so lovely to cuddle as a side sleeper that I use one all the time, not just when pregnant, and so does DD and OH!)

As many pillows as you can and also see an osteopath! She's made a huge difference to me x

Oh I I could have written this :haha: . Our poor , poor pregnant hips !!! I have a 12 ft body pillow and it's a god send. I also find keeping the bottom leg bent and top one straight helps relieve the pressure slightly . Or by starting on my side then pulling top knee up and rolling forwards whilst shoving a pillow under my thigh so as bump doesn't get squished Is also comfy. I still switch side to side through the night but I'm up to pee at least 2-3 times anyway so it's broken sleep for me anyway

I have a pre pregnancy hip problem (femoral dysplasia) and get very sore hips in pregnancy. I find and bath helps and definitely get a pregnancy pillow or just a spare pillow between your knees to support the angle of your pelvis. Good luck x

Thanks so much for all your suggestions (and commiserations) everyone!

I went out and bought the Dreamgenii pillow and gave it a go, to be honest I wrestled with it most of the night and had a pretty broken sleep trying to ensure my knees and ankles were in line all night - and still woke up with aching hips. Though to be fair I think sleeping with a big pillow is something I just need to get used to. And if I don't, it looks really useful for feeding, so all will not be lost.

But I had a brainwave, so last night we removed our electric blanket from the bed (we're just coming out of winter down here in NZ) and all of a sudden, our bed feels much softer! My hip was able to sink further in to it and I actually had a pretty good sleep last night, finally. So I recommend removing any unnecessary underlayers of bedding apart from the sheet/soft mattress protector) as it contributes to making the bed feel 'harder'. Especially a spiny electric blanket! Just as well it's spring now, though if I was cold I would just go for proper pjs and a hot water bottle. Or warm partner!

(and I will still keep a plush mattress topper in mind if my hips get any more painful as I think they just needed to sink into something soft) All the best to you all!

Battling sore hips for a while too. Getting worse lately :( I have gotten a pregnancy pillow, which is comfy and I feel protected/enveloped, but I still find I'm in so much pain with my hips. I just end up rotating all night. My biggest thing is I feel like I'm rolling forward too much and slightly squishing my bump, but it keeps happening whilst asleep. I can't seem to control it.

Anyhow, about to take a bath in our giant tub, which seems to be the only thing that helps :( It hurts so bad! Glad I'm not alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->