Alcohol while ttc?

bke

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was just wondering if you totally stay away from alcohol while ttc? I never drink alcohol in the 2ww "just in case" but for the last 2 months I haven´t really been drinking before ovulation either because I´m not sure if it affects my fertility. I´m the type that likes to have a glass of wine with a saturday dinner or with friends but now I always feel like I shouldn´t (just have couple of sips..) and it is quite noticable (my friends have been asking me if I´m pregnant which can be heartbraking while trying so hard) :dohh:

I also have asked DH to minimize his beer intake before ovulation.. again, not knowing if it has any affect at all. He is not happy but obeys, knows better than to mess with the overthinking fertility machine that is his wife. :blush:

Is this over the top? Does anyone here know the real affects sensible alcohol consumption has on fertility (both mine and DH)? I have started to feel like everything is on hold until the baby is conceived, including social life and romantic dinners.. (don´t get me wrong - alcohol is not THAT important to me but it sure feels nice sometimes)

General consensus is that alcohol doesn't reduce female fertility but it does reduce male fertility. Avoiding alcohol in the 2ww is a very good idea because obviously if you knew you were pg, then you would steer clear, so best to get used to the idea, just in case!

That said, I've been known to partake in a glass of red in the 2ww. When :witch: comes, I make the most of it and try to get my intake! I don't mean I go out and get bladdered, but I do have a couple of large glasses of red without feeling guilty.

I wouldn't touch spirits (including blue drinks with silly names!), but then I never do anyway.

My personal opinion (and people on BnB differ quite a lot in this, so best to get lots of opinions before making your mind up) is that the rest of my lifestyle is verging on the side of super-healthy (I'm veggie, I eat a stupidly large amount of veg, I exercise lots, I've never smoked - gosh, do I sound incredibly boring?!) that a bit of wine now and again ain't going to hurt anybody.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with ttc.

they say women should aviod alcohol, caffine and smoking i dont smoke, ive changed to de caff and i dont drink any more.
its up to you but its been my choice to detox of harmful toxins before ttc.
the odd glass of wine should be fine especially red as it contains good antioxidents and iron.

I dont touch alcohol now and H2B hardly has any...maybe 2 cans a month if that. I just wouldnt take the risk and it reduces the chance of getting a BFP!!
xx

With regards to male fertility i saw a programme recently that said that the quality of a man's sperm is based on his lifestyle approximately 3 months ago, so for example if someone used to be a heavy drinker, but stopped it can take 3 months for the improvement in sperm quality to show. There is info about it on the internet, but i don't think that DH having a couple of drinks in the TWW should affect your chances too much.

3 months =o really i didnt know that!
Thank goodness my oh stopped the drink ages ago.
Thats really interesting to know...thanks
xxx

Im a naughty girl!! After 9 cycles TTC.... 6 of them giving up alcohol in the 2ww.... I dont worry about it anymore..... If I want to drink then I will!!!

TTC is hard enough, not going to make it any harder for myself!

Lots of people are having very healthy babies all the time.

However Im not saying that you should drink whilst pregnant if you get what I mean.

Im a naughty girl!! After 9 cycles TTC.... 6 of them giving up alcohol in the 2ww.... I dont worry about it anymore..... If I want to drink then I will!!!

However Im not saying that you should drink whilst pregnant if you get what I mean.

I think thats a very big risk to take, but, each to their own
xx

Well I am in the 2WW and I had 2 glasses of white wine last week a few days after ovulation. I haven't had anything since but if AF comes next week I will be having some drinks. Will try to limit my drink to one glass of wine in the 2WW from now on. Would be good to know what everyone else thinks.

i probably fall somewwhere in the middle-oh doesnt drink so thats him ruled out and i dont in 2ww, didnt drink at all whilst preg with all of mine but when:witch:is here i do have a glass of wine if the occasion arises and i fancy it
its a tough one and definatly a personal choice thing, that said when i got preg with my little boy my cycle had completly changed so i dint think i had even ov and i got drunk two nights in a row-as soon as i got my bfp i didnt touch a drop and like i said i dont in 2ww now either

xx

How is drinking in the 2ww a VERY BIG risk??? Babies dont implant until 7-10DPO therefore doesnt take anything from you.

xx

How is drinking in the 2ww a VERY BIG risk??? Babies dont implant until 7-10DPO therefore doesnt take anything from you.

I would also like to know this

Drinking in moderation if you are not pregnant is not a big risk

xx

Also the baby does not live of ur placenta till 6 weeks, i would never drink past a :bfp: but its certainly something to think about.

My first 6 months of trying a barely drank at all, and not 1 sip in the 2ww. Guess what i didnt fall preg, the first month i let go, guess what i got a :bfp: coincidence? My preg ended in m/c but the midwife has assured me that drinking till my :bfp: certainly had nothing to do with the outcome of my pregnancy. She even said what about all these women who are alcoholics and have healthy babies? Now THAT is a BIG risk, but my point is a few glasses of wine before the baby has implanted isnt going to cause any harm.

Well this is my 13/14th cycle, and i have learnt ttc is hard enough without putting ur life on hold.

How long have u been ttc?

When I concieved in August we weren't trying and it was my birthday party so I was drunk as a skunk!! I sometimes think once we make the desicion to TTC we put so much pressure on ourselves to do everything by the book (no drinking etc) and tbh i think that's half the reason I haven't got my :bfp: yet-putting myself under far too much pressure!!!

xx

Also the baby does not live of ur placenta till 6 weeks, i would never drink past a :bfp: but its certainly something to think about.

My first 6 months of trying a barely drank at all, and not 1 sip in the 2ww. Guess what i didnt fall preg, the first month i let go, guess what i got a :bfp: coincidence? My preg ended in m/c but the midwife has assured me that drinking till my :bfp: certainly had nothing to do with the outcome of my pregnancy. She even said what about all these women who are alcoholics and have healthy babies? Now THAT is a BIG risk, but my point is a few glasses of wine before the baby has implanted isnt going to cause any harm.

Well this is my 13/14th cycle, and i have learnt ttc is hard enough without putting ur life on hold.

Couldn't agree more hun :hugs: x

xx

Couldn't agree more hun :hugs: x

Well thank u hunni :hugs:

xx

I totally agree with you Daisy Duke. I don't intend to put my life on hold either. This has been my first cycle of TTC#1 and I have been a obsessive over the symptoms. If I am not pregnant this month then I have an even more vivid and quite frankly disturbing imagination than I thought I had. I am 10DPO and have bigger boobs (actually loving them as I am a B cup!!!) and a strange taste in my mouth. I am also going to the toilet more often although I wouldn't say it's overly disruptive. So I have decided if I don't get a :bfp: this month I am going to take a more relaxed, albeit orgaised, approach and won't be on here everyday.

When I concieved in August we weren't trying and it was my birthday party so I was drunk as a skunk!! I sometimes think once we make the desicion to TTC we put so much pressure on ourselves to do everything by the book (no drinking etc) and tbh i think that's half the reason I haven't got my :bfp: yet-putting myself under far too much pressure!!!

I couldnt agree more babe, u go and enjoy urself, bd every other day and i'm sure u will get a lovely surprise when u least expect it :hugs:

xx

I totally agree with you Daisy Duke. I don't intend to put my life on hold either. This has been my first cycle of TTC#1 and I have been a obsessive over the symptoms. If I am not pregnant this month then I have an even more vivid and quite frankly disturbing imagination than I thought I had. I am 10DPO and have bigger boobs (actually loving them as I am a B cup!!!) and a strange taste in my mouth. I am also going to the toilet more often although I wouldn't say it's overly disruptive. So I have decided if I don't get a :bfp: this month I am going to take a more relaxed, albeit orgaised, approach and won't be on here everyday.

Good girl i'm proud of u, beleive me it not only increases ur chances, but u will be happy and ur relationship will cope better thro ttc with that attitude to. XXX

xx

Your symptoms sound promising!!! Best of luck!! :dust:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"