alcohol

josiegavin

Reaction score
does it make me a bad person if I have just half a beer n is it dangeours xxxxx

No amount of alcohol is safe during pregnancy.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fetal-alcohol-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20021015

If you google this you will find many interesting articles against alcohol during pregnancy but you will also see many that say one drink here and there does not pose any harm. This is a very touchy subject as most will have very strong opinions about the topic.

During my first pregnancy I did not drink a single drop of alcohol. With my second I sipped 1/2 a cooler mixed with 7up on a balmy afternoon in my 9th month. With my 3rd, again, not a drop.

I had a friend who drank one beer a week pretty much throughout her pregnancy. I am not opposed to the occasional drink throughout a pregnancy but I don't fancy the idea if it being a weekly event. But, to each there own and who am I to judge.....she limited herself and her baby is perfectly healthy.

This early on Id say it's probably not a good idea as so much is going on with development but it's your baby and it's your body. Just be prepared to hear people's opinions as it is a touchy subject and people don't seem shy to bring it up!

My OB stated there's just not enough information out there. Every woman metabolizes differently and its impossible to say a little bit for one is okay when it may not be for another. Why risk it?

No, I don't think it makes you a bad person. If it's a one-time thing, I doubt half a beer will make any difference.

It's a personal choice, one that some people feel very strongly about. I know some women who have an occasional glass of wine while pregnant and their kids turn out fine. Plus, a lot of women don't even know they're pregnant until they're 5-6 weeks, and who knows how much they were drinking before they found out.

If you are thinking about drinking again in the future, do some research about the risks so you can make an informed decision about what's best for you and your baby. It's a very personal decision, and whatever you decide, I don't think it makes you a bad person.

You are not a bad person. According to your timer thingy, you're 4 weeks. I totally had a beer when I was that far cause I didn't even think or know I was pregnant! A lot of people have done this and have had fine babies. I'm assuming you knew when you had the beer. It still doesn't make you a bad person. Like others have said there are mixed articles out there. Some people say if you're craving it then have it, while others say ignore it. It's really up to you and what YOU think. Just because YOU think something different then someone else does NOT make you a bad person.

You may get some people touchy on this subject but just remember you are you're own person. I won't personally drink knowing I'm pregnant, but that's just me. Someone else may have a different opinion and that's ok.

People get touchy about prenatles! My mom never took them and didn't understand why I was taking them, lol. Pregnancy and the many things that come with it are surrounded by so much controversy. I tend to just stick with what I know and what I think is right for me :)

I wouldn't touch a drop but thats because I've gone through hell and wouldn't want to do anything to something so precious by drinking alcohol which has such serious warnings about it. Just my preference.

As somebody who doesn't drink I still say go ahead. As pp said your only 4 weeks and right now your baby is nothing more then some cells. A lot of people wouldn't even know they are pregnant yet.

Just because there are women who have consumed alcohol before they knew they were pregnant and their children turned out "fine," doesn't mean there aren't just as many women who consumed alcohol before they knew they were pregnant and their children ended up with full blown FAS. Every single foster child I've had had FAS to some extent. When you see what even limited alcohol consumption does to completely and permanently cripple a child's life......I just can't imagine anyone thinking it would be worth the risk. The physical deformities, medical issues, lack of an ability to bond, learning disabilities, behavioral problems and all out violence.....I just can't imagine anyone actually knowing they're pregnant being willing to take the risks.

It's not a progressive disease, where if mom drinks a little the child will only get a little bit of FAS and if mom drinks a lot then they'll suffer more. One can be a full blown alcoholic during pregnancy and their baby can turn out fine while one beer could cause another mother to miscarry or carry a child to term that will never have the ability to live independently.

I don't think an expectant mother who drinks is a bad person, so much as grossly misinformed.

Drinking in early pregnancy is just as life threatening/life altering IF NOT MORE SO than drinking in later stages. At four weeks a baby may be just "some cells," but those cells are in the midst of prime brain development time.

https://www.nofas.org/light-drinking/

I don't think it makes you a bad person. However, I do think it is careless. Is it really worth the risk?

Personally I wouldn't at all, but especially in the first tri. We really don't know how it will affect the growing fetus. It could be totally harmless, or it could cause issues that you would never even relate to the alcohol you had during pregnancy. I say if you know you are pg, then it's not worth the risk!

"Bad person" is a highly subjective term and really does not apply in this situation.

I have had 6 beers my entire pregnancy. When I go out to eat with my friends, I like to have a michelada. Most cultures outside of the US do not regard an occasional drink while pregnant as a terrible thing. As with everything else - everything in moderation. It's whatever you are comfortable with. There have been many studies that show the occasional drink does not cause any problems.

I wouldn't if I were you. You can drink again after the baby is born

This topic never ends well. But in my personal opinion I would say stay away from alcohol while pregnant but ESPECIALLY during the first trimester, everything is developing it's just not worth it.

And yes lots of people drink before they know they're pregnant BUT the difference here is you know you're pregnant.

Everyone can tells you someone who drank/smoked/took drugs during pregnancy and ended up fine.. But plenty don't.

At the end of the day for you to ask the questions shows you don't think it's right but you're looking for validation. I don't mean to upset anyone but its only 9 months.

I didn't find out I was pregnant until 6 weeks and drank up until the day before I found out. My doctor said it's common for women to drink during early pregnancy since they often don't know right away, and that it's usually not a problem.

That said, I think if you know you're pregnant, it's your responsibility to protect your baby and turning a blind eye because other people have done it is a bit irresponsible.

I don't think you're a bad person, and I don't judge people for having a drink later in pregnancy, but you're at such a crazy and important stage of development now... I wouldn't risk it.

If all you are after is the taste of beer then why can't you have a non- alcoholic one? If you want a beer for the alcohol then thats something different. your life, your choices but for me, what's growing inside me after going through so much to get here is so precious that I wouldn't risk anything to harm them. I'm over the moon to be able to make sacrifices for these babies.

Just my opinion.

Alcohol should be avoided during pregnancy, weather your three weeks ten weeks or 40 weeks. Would you feed your new born baby alcohol? If the answers no then I'd stay clear of the stuff, personally I would not touch it it's not worth the risk and just because people drink alcohol when they don't realise their pregnant, doesn't make it ok.

I've read a lot on alcohol and it can increase a chance of miscarriage so why bother? Why take the risk?

Everyone is different at the end of the day but me, personally, I will live without it until my baby is born healthy into this world :)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/alcohol-medicines-drugs-pregnant.aspx#close

Please take a read of the link I've provided.

Its up to you at end of the day.

I found out i was 19w gone at 17 can guess what i did most weekends.
I dont recall drinking any full bottles/cans with second baby but had sips.
When i was really sick with this baby and was struggling to drink, hubby had a flavoured beer with smallest % i had few mouthfuls and kept it down.
Im huge champagne lover so missing my glasses but seen limited edition ice cream with champagne hopefully that'll help :)

I didn't touch a drop from the day I found out I was pregnant with my 3 boys & this 1, with my eldest I was 18 & didn't find out until I was 8 weeks due to not missing a period (had 1 3 days before I found out I was pregnant) so as you can imagine yes I was out a lot drinking during them 1st 8 weeks, that's something I can't do anything about & I probably had the occasional drink with the other 2 before I found out at 5 & 6 weeks but with each of them the day I found out I gave up drinking & smoking & did not have any at all until after they were born, but that's just me other people I know have drank & that's upto them personally the way I see it is it's your choice wether you drink or not but the baby inside you doesn't have that choice, whatever you drink or eat goes to baby too, is that fair on them?

From what I have read from research, alcohol during the first trimester is a massive no no. After that the occasional red wine is apparently ok.

When a baby is 'just a mass of cells' that is actually a very crucial time. There is a reason why we feel so dreadful during first tri mostly... and that's when the baby is doing all of their crucial 'forming'

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->