All these riots everywhere!!!

My mum's friends son was arrested yesterday due to rioting in Millton Keynes,he is 24. His mother is ashamed. He was refused bail aswell, good he was responsible for scaring my family and other residents :growlmad: x

Your thoughts?

A student has been jailed for 6 months for stealing a £3.50 bottle of water during a night of rioting. Thats a pretty harsh punishment but he gets no sympathy from me, its just a pity the system doesn't hand out harsh punishments in other aspects of crime. Etc rape, murder.

seems a bit harsh over a bottle of water

:wacko: :shrug:

those who are smashing things up, causing damage
and fear get a few weeks and someone who stole
some water gets 6 months?

i could understand if he had a history of bad behaviour
or was already being monitored by the police ...

well i shouldn't think he'll be taking anymore water
after 6 months so i suppose he'll learn a lesson it just seems
a little over the top to me ...

:coffee:

^ I agree. I'd prefer to see, for instance, the man who murdered Baby P get a harsher sentence than the guy who stole a bottle of water.
I understand why they need to come down hard on them, he was still wrong.
I just think that its a bit harsh :shrug:

I thought it was a bit harsh but the judge said he was lucky that he wasn't sent to the Crown Court :shrug:

Its good to see them coming down hard though, shows them that they won't be walked all over.

I too would rather see the money going to a worse offender. I wonder how long those who caused fires and murder are getting.

Harsh but it was still a crime?, it was the act of what he did, not what he took IMHO?. Hopefully he will think twice next time!.

But i do agree sentences for other things should be much longer.

I dont think it matters what you steal, theft is theft. However, if he gets that I would expect harsher punishment for the vandals but there wont be :(

I think maybe they are trying to set an example. That this behaviour will not be tolerated no matter how mild? x

I would say that 6 months was fair (regardless of what was stolen) if the people causing damage were getting a year or whatever, but if others are causing damage and getting 10 weeks (so probably out in 5 weeks) then it does seem harsh, IMO. The people committing same/similar crimes should get same/similar sentences (obviously harsher for someone who has a history of crime/criminal record). The way I see it if I was getting six months for stealing, see someone else getting 10 weeks for damaging property, I would wonder why my sentence was so harsh and why I was being 'picked on', now if I already hated the system, then my anger would just build!

I think it is so severe so as to warn others and tbh it's not what he took, it's the fact he looted and took it in the first place

How silly... Bet he regrets not paying 50p for one now!

I honestly think he could have previous run ins with the police?

They are going to introduce National Citizen Service. :shrug: I wonder if that will work.

no what i meant was, he didnt just steal one bottle of water, he rioted and looted, added to my fear and everyone elses fear, i think 6 months is appropriate tbh x

That's kindof my thinking on the matter too. He was running around the streets during a riot and took the opportunity to enter someone's property and steal from them. I wouldn't have cared what he took, he deserves the sentence.

Ed Milliband wiped the floor with David Cameron today! Go Ed! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->