Almost passing out...what could it be from?

tripleccc

Reaction score
I am 15 weeks tomorrow and this is the second time in 2 weeks where I almost passed out at work.

I work in retail and stand all day, we aren't allowed to sit. So I was just standing do whatever and I got really hot and nauseous and felt my legs and arms get weak. Next thing I know, my vision is black and I can't see until I sit down in the back and put a cold towel on my head. And then I get an awful headache for the rest of the day.

I had eaten and I drink A LOT of water, so it isn't from not eating or dehydration. What could it be? :(
I had to leave work today

Feeling dizzy and faint can be completely normal due to changes in hormones and blood flow. You really should be careful that you dont fall and hurt your belly. Maybe talk to your dr about it. Could you buy a blood pressure machine and check it every time you feel faint? It could be that it's caused by drops in your blood pressure. Also, are you taking prenatals? Low iron could cause these problems. It could be something completely normal, or easily fixed. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!

It could be your blood pressure dipping if you stand all day, the blood can get stuck in your lower legs. Moving around every few minutes or drinking more can help. i know you say you drink a lot of water but I personally find I can struggle with maintaining the increased blood volume, especially when it's warm

I'm 21 weeks and I still get like this if im on my feet a lot. I have to just sit down for 5 mins when im starting to feel a bit off..and drink plenty. It's totally normal but if concerned def give docs a call.

It has happened to me in first tri. I never knew what caused it. Right now if my blood sugar gets too low I feel faint. I have GD though. I hope you are feeling better :hugs:. Take it easy Mama.

Thanks everyone :) I think it is from when my blood pressure drops. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it

It could also be to do with iron levels, I had my first bloods done and everything was great then a few weeks later I was blacking out whenever standing for to long, turned out I was anemic x
Eta
Your work place should put provisions in place for you via a risk assessment

Girl I'm in the same boat as you and it's been freaking me out. My dizziness and feeling like I'm going to faint have been worse these last 2 weeks. I also feel really hot and feel like I'm going to faint sometimes. I did research and found out that it's normal because your heart is beating faster and your veins widen by 30-50%! They also say that in your first and second trimester it's normal for your blood pressure to be low or lower than your average. My last doctor visit my BP was A LOT lower than usual. So from what I read what we are going through is completely normal. I'm still going to mention it to my doctor and if I were you I would to just to be safe :hugs:

Thanks Lalaloopsie, you're the only one that mentioned anemia. It's likely either low blood pressure or anemia or both. I was slightly anemic before this pregnancy and the pharmacist warned me that prenatal pills contain iron that's generally very difficult to digest. And we need heaps of it to keep baby healthy - 28 mg/day = 30 heaping plates of spinach:sick:(anemia during pregnancy has been linked to learning disabilities and other cognitive problems later in children). But I also have low blood pressure. So the doctor & pharmacist gave me a seperate iron pill that's super easy to digest or there are liquid forms that you can take (Floradix or Spatone) and take with OJ avoid dairy for 1 hour before, 2 hours after. Salt your food slightly for low blood pressure. Gentle exercise helps too - it gets the blood up & circulating from your legs. But just be careful with it.
Do get a routine blood test to see if it's anemia, you don't want your child to be effected long term by something very preventable!

I get dizzy as well when standing up especially on buses, trains, etc and actually fainted when I was around 12 weeks on a train, standing up. I felt totally fine then very suddenly I started to get hot, weak in my legs and I knew what was coming so I reach to get a drink of water - next thing I know I am sitting down, someone is handing me my glasses and half spilled water bottle and people asking me if I need a doctor. Since then, I take a different route to work which takes longer but allows me to get a seat.

This was familiar to me as the same thing happened when I was pregnant with DC1 - I fainted on a crowded train standing up in the 1st trimester.

I think it may have to do with low blood sugar and low blood pressure- I have both and I heard pregnancy makes it worse. My doctor suggested to eat/snack every couple hours and always have a snack/water with me. Also, when you start getting the hot/weak legs feeling, if you are able to, sit down anywhere and put head between knees, drink water, eat something.

Bless you. Not much help here in whats causing it but your work should definitely do a risk assessment and put in actions to help you where you're having difficulties. Can you speak to your manager asap? Is there any way you could be given a stool to sit on, put on a different job or take more frequent rest breaks? I feel for you as I get like this when not pregnant when standing especially when I get hot or need to eat. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->