Am I over expressing?

flowers1

Newly expecting
Reaction score
Hi
Last night I stopped breast feeding and am now exclusively expressing for my 13 week old son. I have had loads of problems - mastitis, blocked ducts and milk blisters and I couldn't carry on any more. Anyway, I have been really anxious about expressing enough milk for him and have been expressing as much as I can at every feed. I am now about a feed ahead of him - does this mean I am expressing too much? He does tend to cluster feed in the evening so may use all the extra milk tonight. I also find that I can't get as much out of my left boob (which incidentally is the one that never causes me any problems!) Is this normal?

I've exclussively expressed from day one. The lactation consultant in neonatal said the aim was to always have at least one feed ahead in the fridge. I've always double pumped and after about 2 weeks I was producing way more than my LO needed but I carried on to maintain my supply and froze the excess. It will keep for up tp 3 months in the freezer.
As for each breast providing different amounts, I sometimes find one produces more then a few days later the other one produces more? Overall I think it evens itself out.
Good luck with it xxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->