Am I ovulating?

starsunshine

Reaction score
My periods are irregular and lately I wonder if I am ovulating at all. How would I know?

If you are having a period, then that's a pretty good indicator that you are ovulating. Typically you ovulate 11-15 days before your period. I would recommend using an ovulation prediction kit, or charting your cycle (fertilityfriend.com explains it all) if you want a better idea of when you are ovulating. Good luck!

I also recommend charting - fertility friend. The site has lots of good information.

Thanks for your reply I didn't realise that if you have a period you have ovulated. I have charted this month for the first time and my ovulation date wasn't confirmed and my temps were a bit erratic hence why I'm having trouble seeing where I ovulated. My chart says I ovulated 9 days ago and now af has come to visit isn't that too soon?

Nope. The time between ovulation and your period is called your luteal phase, and it can be anywhere 7-14 days, maybe even less. Mine is typically between 9-10 days, although I think that's considered to be on the shorter end! Also, observing your cervical mucus can help give you a good idea, too. Google it!

If you click on my chart, you'll see that my temperatures can be pretty erratic too, but overall you can see a pattern.

If you are having a period, then that's a pretty good indicator that you are ovulating. Typically you ovulate 11-15 days before your period. I would recommend using an ovulation prediction kit, or charting your cycle (fertilityfriend.com explains it all) if you want a better idea of when you are ovulating. Good luck!

Hi there, I just want to correct you, a period is absolutely NOT indicative of O. I know, because I have a period and do not O every month.

:hugs::hugs:

I want to clear that up for the OP

My periods are irregular and lately I wonder if I am ovulating at all. How would I know?

If your periods are irregular, I will say you are not O'ing. A person can have a 28 day cycle and still not O. That is me.

The only way to know for sure if you are O'ing is to have a progesterone test done during what would be your luteal phase. Or you can learn to temp and begin doing that. A less effective way is to see if you have breasts tenderness on the sides of your breasts around the time you would have O'd. Breasts tenderness on the sides indicates a rise in progesterone which increases after O. Breasts tenderness in the front and top of breasts equals estrogen dominance which means you did not O. That is tricky because not all women get the breasts tenderness on the sides, I do when I O. When I don't O, I don't get it.

It is more important, right now, to find out why your periods are irregular if you have not already. It may be an uphill battle. Because dr's like to fit you in a category, or put you on BC, do not go on BC. Birth control only masks a problem that needs to be fixed. It does not "reset" a person.

Why do you think your periods are irregular? Have you done any research into it?

Don't buy an ovulation predictor kit just yet because if you have PCOS it won't work for you. Find out the cause and go from there.

I've had tests done and I don't have any reasons why my periods are irregular. I beat fed for 3 1/2 years and originally it was put down to that but hasn't got better since stopping breast feeding. I don't have pcos. The latest is its a hormonal issue. I was offered bc but the doc told me it wouldn't make me any more fertile so we decided not to bother and to start trying. If I don't get pregnant by July I'm to go back to be referred for tests. My period looks like it's starting today as I have a little spotting so I'm expecting it in the next couple of days. I'm not convinced I ovulated this month as ff couldn't pick up an ov date and my temps didn't rise at all.

I have PCOS and OPK's work fine for me, my cycles range from 25-35 days and I use a BBT chart to track using a thermometer you can get for around £5 on ebay easy to stick it in your mouth every morning at around the same time (i have an alarm for 7.30) i take my temp and go back to sleep! x very easy and so simple, blood tests never worked for me as they tested on the wrong cycle days! They said I wasnt ovulating when I was!

I've had tests done and I don't have any reasons why my periods are irregular. I beat fed for 3 1/2 years and originally it was put down to that but hasn't got better since stopping breast feeding. I don't have pcos. The latest is its a hormonal issue. I was offered bc but the doc told me it wouldn't make me any more fertile so we decided not to bother and to start trying. If I don't get pregnant by July I'm to go back to be referred for tests. My period looks like it's starting today as I have a little spotting so I'm expecting it in the next couple of days. I'm not convinced I ovulated this month as ff couldn't pick up an ov date and my temps didn't rise at all.

Okay. Also, your 9 day LP is not good at all. There is not much time at all for implantation. Not saying it can't happen, but I am saying the chances are much lower of getting pregnant. You need to bring your hormones back into balance.

Look into Vitex, the Solaray brand. You can find it at a store that sells all organic and natural items. Take 2 a day and it will bring your hormones into balance, and lengthen your luteal phase. Take it everyday of your cycle.

Your Dr. most likely will have no clue what it is because it is an herb. Maybe you can speak with an acupuncturist, have a few treatments because that also brings your hormones into balance. Make sure the acupuncturist is an herbalist as well and find out if they will want you on Vitex. To be honest, I say hell yea. But, I don't want to go around giving herbal recommendations with no formal training lol.

All I know is I had a 9 day LP and mine when from 9 to 14 when I began Vitex. Without Vitex my LP would be short again.

Also, cut out all lotions, perfumes, shampoos and toothpaste that are not 100% natural. Those things have hormones in them that interfere with your hormones.

Also, another poster mentioned that OPK's work for her. I completely forgot that they do work for some PCOSers. But since you don't have that no need to worry about it.

Also, look into your thyroid. Did your doc mention it was on the low side of normal or anything? Because something is DEFINITELY going on. That is why i highly recommend acupuncture.

Nope. The time between ovulation and your period is called your luteal phase, and it can be anywhere 7-14 days, maybe even less. Mine is typically between 9-10 days, although I think that's considered to be on the shorter end! Also, observing your cervical mucus can help give you a good idea, too. Google it!

Hi there. Not trying to get too personal, but, you were able to conceive with such a short LP? A healthy LP is actual 12-14 days. 7 days pregnancy most likely won't occur.

Have you looked into Vitex to lengthen it? Things may get easier for you in tic

Yes, conceived without a problem with 9-10 day LP. Doctor said for the majority of women it's not a problem.

The problem with a luteal phase defect (anything below 10 days is a luteal phase defect) is not a question of whether conception can occur ,but will there be enough time for a fertilized blastocyst to implant fully and hormones HCG and progesterone rise to a level that will stop AF from showing ,will the progesterone be high enough to sustain the pregnancy. thats great that you had no problems carrying to term but for many women a short LP can lead to problems .

I seem to have stopped spotting so I think it wasn't af on her way after all. My body is doing some really weird stuff at the moment. Perhaps I do have a longer luteal phase after all?

I seem to have stopped spotting so I think it wasn't af on her way after all. My body is doing some really weird stuff at the moment. Perhaps I do have a longer luteal phase after all?

The only way to know for sure if your ovulating and how long your LP is ,if you either start charting your basal body temperature and/or go in for CD 21 progesterone test.

If I'm not ovulating what will happen on my chart?

When ovulation does occur there is a rise in progesterone after the release of the egg ,the rise of progesterone also raises your basal body temperature so there is usually a clear shift on your chart if you have ovulated, if not there is no shift detected and your periods will be irregular as well. sometimes progesterone over the course of 12 days is needed to start your period and sometimes it will start on its own. I highly recommend charting your basal body temperature so you have a idea whats going on with your cycles.

My temperature hasn't really risen in a clear shift all month. I'm going to take it that I didn't ovulate this month and hopefully I will do so next month!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->