Am I prepared

bassit25

Reaction score
So second baby with a 6 year gap. Currently 34 weeks and think it's time to start preparing. I remember very little of the early days apart from I had so much stuff I didn't need. So started getting hospital bag together think I'm nearly there but would love to know what you guys have got on your check lists every thing from buggies to spritz for your bits lol would love to know all your little hints and tips

I have a very brief bag of three vest three sleepsuits a special first clothes and a coming home outfit i have a special first hat 3 muslin cloths two bibs a cardi a blanket in the bag with a pack of nappies a pack of water wipes and some round cotton pads ive gotta put some ready to use pre sterelised milk incase she dosent take to breast but my bag is basic maternity towls and breast pads a thick pj set a nightdress shorts and vest and a coming home dress some bigger nickers are a must a travel wash bag with the basics in altho in the car seat i have a extra blanket which we want to use as her main blanket so its in there so its used when she is clean when and where possible but will by some drinks and some sweets as i have a sweet tooth altho we are hoping for a home birth so its all in a bag either if we dont go to hospital i dont have to such for nothing when in labour xx

I always overpacked for my stays, and the first time I threw the bag together while I was in labor and arguing with my dh :haha:. I think it's easy to overpack, Definitely make a check list of things like a phone charger, comfortable clothing. I didn't bring but one shirt for my baby, usually just a white onesie. The hospital I stayed at provided the spray, lots of pads, mesh panties, and lots of witch hazel pads (a true godsend). They also gave lots of disposable diapers, which I used just until meconium passes and switch to cloth.

I kept mine sweet and simple: 2 changes of outfits for me (I always took maternity clothing because chances are you won't lose all your baby weight before leaving the hospital), a take home outfit for baby, deodorant and a hair brush. My hospital provided toiletries like toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, numbing spray, disposable underwear, pads, ice packs, diapers for the baby, formula (should you go the route of bottle feeding), etc. I would take a tube of hemorrhoid cream just in case. I got a few killer ones after birth and the hospital unfortunately didn't have any cream available. They did send in a prescription for it after I left the hospital but by that time it was too late and they were incredibly painful. Also I know this seems like duh but don't forget the car seat. We did once and I had to have DH go back home for it.

I've probably over packed, but here's what I've got;
5 vests and sleepsuits, 2 pairs scratch mitts and socks, 3 hats, 2 bibs, 2 blankets, 10 nappies, a packet of wipes, a dummy and clip, bottle of pre-made formula incase i can't breastfeed again, car seat.
In my bag; several pairs of big knickers, post-birth pj's and comfortable outfit, birthing outfit, phone charger, a book to read, basic toiletries; shampoo and conditioner, body wash, maternity and breast pads, toothbrush and toothpaste, flipflops for in the shower, slippers, hair brush and hair ties.

Just had my LO last week so memory is still fresh lol. I packed a ton of stuff but the best things I brought were my phone charger, toothbrush/paste, baby’s going home outfit and body pillow. Seriously, that’s all. However I had a quick labour so I didn’t need anything to occupy me for that part. Was in the hospital for 3 days, and they provided diapers/wipes/pads. Baby just slept swaddled in a blanket the hospital provided, and they also provided all the meals. So all the other stuff I brought I didn’t need! I could have literally brought 5 things and been totally fine. Saves you a few trips back and forth to the car too :haha:

Are you in the uk because they used to with my first son provide matwrnity towels now its your own responsible everything down to dummies they say you need about 12 nappies a day so it depends on how long your in for they did provide a towel for my last son as they needed to dry him off etc and then put a new one to swaddle him but i had to bring my own towel and cleaning stuff and the only thing we get free is our meals but with the option of someone bringing food up altho if you give birth before midday and everything is going well you only have to stay in for 6 hours xx

Well bag finally packed even some snacks for the hubby I’m sure I will pack and unpack for the next 3 weeks

I still have about 11 weeks to go and this is super helpful! I didn't pack a bag with my first, but we lived only a few blocks away from the hospital first time around. This time, we're a bit further. So having this information is definitely going to help me when the time is right! thanks ladies!

If you can, call the hospital you plan on going to or ask someone you know that has been there recently(it can change). They will be able to give you a list of what they provide so you know what you don't have to pack.

I haven't packed yet, because I have a bit to go yet. I like to make lists though, so this is what I have so far. I figure it gives me an idea of what to grab as I go and add on if need be as well:

-Chargers- IPAD, phone, and camera
-Devices- IPAD, phone, and camera
-Vending machine money (Meals, a small assortment of snacks, and drinks are provided for the most part, but this is a just in case)
-For me- Socks, slippers, 2 days worth of comfy clothes, a nightgown, bra's, undies, basic makeup, contacts/glasses, toothbrush/toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner as the ones they supply aren't great, and nipple cream. Hospital provides- gown, slippers socks, mesh undies, cooling pads, water squirter, towels, toilletries, etc.
-For hubby- 3 days worth of clothing, underwear, socks, tylenol and toothpaste/toothbrush
-For baby- Coming home outfit, 2 sleep gowns, 1 blanket, binky (hospital doesn't provide), a few diapers, pack of wipes, and car seat. Hospital provides- diapers, wipes, gowns, blankets, lotion, bath soap, and basically all the essentials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->