Amount of sleep at 4-5 months for your LO

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Emma is starting to resist her naps, and is waking more often at night. Also not self settling for naps like she was previously.

We don't have a schedule as such, but she usually gets up about 6:30-7am and previously was ready for a nap about 45 minutes later.

Brief nap then off to school for my son.

She would then have another 2-3 naps depending on how the day went with about 1.5 hours inbetween each nap, sometimes a bit longer. Usually a 3 hour nap around the middle of the day and a couple of shorter ones.

But the last few days she isn't ready for her short morning nap till much later and yesterday she was awake for 3 hours in the afternoon.

She then went to bed at 5pm, yikes! She woke twice when she generally sleeps 11 hours before waking for a feed. She got up at 6:30am like usual.

Is this common about now? I know 4 months is brutal with sleep regressions etc but with my other kids, day time sleep didn't change. Perhaps she can stay awake for longer periods during the day now? Is 1hr 45m maybe better? Or can your LO stretch to 2 hours?

My other kids were babies so long ago that this all seems new again! I do remember Sophie's awake time was 2 hours at 6 months but don't remember 4-5 months.

Emma's exclusively breastfed and not on solids.

She wants to be upright either standing in my lap or being bounced an cuddled constantly while awake, and if I lay her down she strains to sit up. She's also working on rolling. No sign of teeth.

My lo is 16 weeks so just turning 4 months. He has got worse with his sleep lately.
At night he generally goes to bed at 7/7.30pm and is up for the day at about the same 7/7.30am. But he will wake in the night multiple times. Lastnight was 12am,3am and 5am. I generally only feed him once (bottle fed) usually at a wakeup where he won't go back to sleep or starts to cry. A lot of the time he ends up in our bed now.
In the day we aren't in a real routine but he doesn't sleep much. He often will only nap for 30/40 mins at a time and has 3 naps so sometimes barely 1 hr 30 mins sleep in a whole day.
This is usually one at 9/10am, one at 12/1 and one at 3/4 ish.
Today however he has only had 2 naps, one in the morning of 40 mins and one in the afternoon of 2 hours, but actually more daytime sleep overall.
He generally stays awake for between 2 and 3 hours between naps. 2 hours if a short nap and 3 hours if he's managed a longer nap, which isn't very often.
I think maybe your little one is working on dropping naps and being awake a bit more in the day and going longer between naps. Perhaps she's finding it a bit difficult but hopefully she will settle a bit better after a few weeks x

When Isla was that age she would need her morning nap about 1-1.5 hrs after waking for the day, but could easily go 2 hrs between naps the rest of the day.

This happened to my LO at about 4 months, my first DD didn't have sleep regression at all, but i didn't escape it with this one lol.

She stopped self settling, stopped napping easily, would only sleep if we went out in car or buggy, and was only having 30 min naps, she started waking every 2 hours, some weeks every 30 mins to an hour. I was like a zombie and thought it would never end! Thankfully for the last 2 weeks she seems to have went back to the way she was before, shes napping again, settling herself and only waking once or twice. She wakes between 8am - 9am in morning, has nap at 10am for about 1 1/2 hours, 2nd nap at 1:30pm (this one is still rubbish, she only has about 45 mins) shes ready for bed at 5:30! Bath and usually have her in bed for 6/6:30pm. She was waking at 1am and 5am but recently has missed out the 1am waking. I know she isn't hungry, hasn't had night feed for ages, so I was reading up on it and read that these could be habitual awakenings, because she does it around the same time every night, and they are around the time her sleep cycle moves into the next one, so it said to disturb her before she wakes to break the cycle, I tried it before I went to bed about 11pm ish, she always moves round the wrong way in cot so I turn her back the right way and she stirs, just enough to disturb her but not wake her, and shes stopped the 1am waking. I haven't done the 5am one yet because I'd have to set my alarm for 4am to wake before her and im too tired for that! haha, she goes straight back to sleep when I go through anyway so I'll see if she gets herself out of it first.

Hey thanks very much for all your replies, much appreciated!

She is now waking twice a night and stays awake a little longer between naps during the day, but nothing too bad and I still think she's a really good sleeper.

She's just discovered her feet (so cute!) and is so desperate to roll, I know all these little changes can disrupt sleep a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->