An independent Scotland?

Sorry for those that are disappointed but I'm glad Scotland voted no. I hope Westminster follows through with their promises and if they don't, everyone should whinge no matter which way they voted!

Hopefully a better plan can be worked on for a future referendum too, one that doesn't ignore the important issues.

Proud of my city taking the chance. But I'm absolutely devastated, I was on nightshift and we kept the web page running all night for updates, each no vote was so demoralising........I managed not to cry in front of my patients, but cried walking home, I couldn't stop myself, still crying now.
Also watching the news and already reporting how backbenchers are going to fight scotland getting more powers. :nope:

Proud of my city taking the chance. But I'm absolutely devastated, I was on nightshift and we kept the web page running all night for updates, each no vote was so demoralising........I managed not to cry in front of my patients, but cried walking home, I couldn't stop myself, still crying now.
Also watching the news and already reporting how backbenchers are going to fight scotland getting more powers. :nope:

Hugs hunni. I'm with you.
So many people only considered themselves not thinking about the generations coming behind or think what little industry their is for kids to get work in.
It's not until you speak to people working in the NHS you realise how under pressure it is.
I owe my life to it (twice) and never want to see people have to struggle to find the cash to get a Doctor.
I'm also getting fertility treatment (not IVF) that I would have to pay for in England.

To the comment about people in Wales being better looked after than London I have no doubt it's true. The big money people with the power in the SE. Set policies that suit themselves not the rest of the country.

I'm not in Scotland but I am immensely proud of my Scottish heritage and am gutted that the No vote won.
People don't like change and the Yes vote had far too many unanswered questions.

Over the last few days I have witnessed a lot of people using 'politics' as an excuse to be offensive, racist, elitist and intolerant - the world is divided enough already. I hope that things will settle for everyone soon. Its not a no to Independence ever, Just not right now.

Over the last few days I have witnessed a lot of people using 'politics' as an excuse to be offensive, racist, elitist and intolerant - the world is divided enough already. I hope that things will settle for everyone soon. Its not a no to Independence ever, Just not right now.

That's my feelings. Great idea in theory and as much as I would like to see Scotland stand on their own two feet, now is not the right time.

I hate how our country has been divided, the vile crap being posted. Some of Scotland should be ashamed - we should be ashamed of the way we have treated each other this week. :growlmad:

Gutted absolutely gutted at the no vote. I'm very proud to have been a yes voter but i'm prouder of my country for making their voice heard, no matter the outcome. But if Westminster thinks we'll forget about the promise of more devolved powers then they're in for a shock. I'm off to drown my sorrows with a tin of full fat bru :D

I'm not holding my breath for devolved powers it's already being opposed. As it was with independence it is with staying united so much uncertainty with what will happen on Scotland now, it scares me more than independence 😔

I'm moving to Canada before the s*** hits the fan 😂

Hugs hunni. I'm with you.
So many people only considered themselves not thinking about the generations coming behind or think what little industry their is for kids to get work in.
It's not until you speak to people working in the NHS you realise how under pressure it is.
I owe my life to it (twice) and never want to see people have to struggle to find the cash to get a Doctor.
I'm also getting fertility treatment (not IVF) that I would have to pay for in England.

To the comment about people in Wales being better looked after than London I have no doubt it's true. The big money people with the power in the SE. Set policies that suit themselves not the rest of the country.

First off I will say that if I were scottish I may well have voted yes.

That said I dont think the London and SE thing is true at all, I certainly dont feel that we have policies that suit the rest of the country, hospitials all around SE London are either closing or in danger of closing, inflation and house prices means that the cost of living is so high that were it not for the fact that the industries that both me and OH work is easiest to live in London we would move. Green space is disappearing at a rate of knots for new housing stock and yet the infrastructure is not being looked at so there are more children that school places etc.

I agree that Scotland should be given a chance to rule itself and that you should have a chance to vote in and have a parliament themselves. But being independent would not suddenly solve all the problems so many are much deeper routed in the time and global economic situation. But the right to do that yourself was something I would have voted for.

But I do get angry that somehow living in London is so wonderful and that all the policies suit us and whereas I agree that might be true for a certain number of rich tory fat cats for the majority of people living here we face the same struggles and issues as everyone else.

Privatisation and the state of the NHS (and the money that there is to fund a welfare state) are all important topics. I have always been a great believer and supporter of the welfare system and the NHS but how sustainable it is now is certainly something that is and should be up for debate.

I am glad to be honest that hopefully now it will be done how it should always be done which is 4 separate parliament (almost federal so to speak as in the states) that can create there own policies for the most part but come together on matters that affect the union and keeps the union in place.

It will be weird to see what happens in the coming weeks - as so many have been so engrossed in it all.

I think the main thing to take from it, is that people are not happy with are archaic government. That from today those old posh white boys will get a real run for there money if they are to win voters going forward.

2008 and the crash of the world was the first show of how poorly we as a set of countries were run and many (the banks mostly) are (in a loose sense) being held accountable now it time for the government.

Hopefully as a set of 4 countries and 1 nation we can move forward to create a more equal society and fairer way of governing it.

I was hoping I was gonna wake up with Scottish parents today :(

No I'm not shocked, I thought briefly this week it could be a yes but hearing the commentators and polls last night I was confident it would be a no. I too thought the no voice was quieter.

Is anyone else not shocked it was a no?

No it has never really looked to be anything other than a no, in fact until quite recently it did not look to be so close.

Truthfully I think its because in all walks or life people are unwilling to challenge the status quo of life particularly if it only causes them the occasional grumble. People naturally tend to be more risk aversive rather than risk takers and this in part fuelled the no vote.

If I had been scottish I would have probably thought about voting yes may even well have gone into it thinking that and chickened out at the last minute as I am naturally cautious and risk averse. I have had one job since leaving university for that very reason! I think a lot of people were the same.

I'm Scottish and voted yes. However I really had hopes the promises would be kept yet already there have been conditions attached to further devolution, that only English mps can decide on English laws? Except that wasn't the original agreement. Devestated isn't even the word.

Have been trying to stay off social media today as I feel so sad ( which i didn't expect) have you seen alex Salmond has stepped down, he looks like a broken man. Whether you liked or loathed him in genuinely believe he had the best interests of the country in mind.

I'm Scottish and voted yes. However I really had hopes the promises would be kept yet already there have been conditions attached to further devolution, that only English mps can decide on English laws? Except that wasn't the original agreement. Devestated isn't even the word.

There is no guarantee that will go through (for policital reasons Labour arent going to like it) but that aside surely its the logical extension. You cant expect Scottish MPs to be entirely responsible to a raft of policies and still have a say in those that relate to England? How exactly is that fair.

Its also getting ridiculous though I read in the standard (https://www.standard.co.uk/news/pol...o-give-london-greater-powers-too-9743657.html) that Boris Johnson wants London based powers now

There's been no mention if Scottish mps getting their own way only English? Well that's how it's been portrayed here at the moment. Personally English should have rule in theirs and Scottish their own ones same as Wales and Northern Ireland. Therefore fairs fair. X

Ed milliband has already pulled out of devo max surprise surprise

I feel sick looking at photos from george square tonight. Not sure what will be reported but people singing rangers songs, burning saltires and making nazi gestures. This morning i wasnt embarrassed to be from scotland, now i am. Regardless what people voted this is sick and disgusting. Just shows how many scummy no voters were hiding when the yes were being called everything under the sun

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->