• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

An independent Scotland?

Well basically the SNP want a currency union with the rest of the UK after independence, where the Bank of England will be the lender of last resort. The argument is that, because scotland and England have high exports to each other, it would cost business North and South of the border millions of pounds in transaction costs if the currencies were different (or if we didn't have a currency union), therefore a currency union is in everyones best interests. However, all of the uk parties have come together to say that they would refuse a currency union if Scotland goes independent. The YES campaign say that, because it would be in everyones best interests, after a yes vote, the UK parties WOULD back a currency union and are only saying they wouldn't to scare people into voting NO.

We can keep using the pound as an unofficial currency, no one can stop us, but it comes with risks (i'm not sure what!). The thing is the pound is backed up with oil revenues amd if there wasn't a currency union, some argue that it would depreciate rapidly after a YES vote with no currency union.

The other thing is, if Scotland are not allowed a share in the asset of the Bank of England, then there would be no reason for us to take a share of the laibilities either, therefore we would not be obliged to take a share of the debt.

Everyone is badgering Salmond to talk about his "plan B" in the event that there wasn't a currency union, but in true politician style, he is refusing to back down, sayng that there WILL be a currency union (although there are a number of other plans in the White Paper). This is one of the main reasons people are voting NO, the uncertainty over currency.

I hope this helps some, finances etc aren't really my strong point but I think this is all accurate :)

Thank you, that makes sense, tbh I did get the impression the government were using the threat of no pound as a gun to the head of yes voters. So going from the feel in your area and the Scottish press, do you feel like there will be a yes or no vote or is it too hard to tell?

Well, I have to say, everyone I know is a YES except my dad who has gone from a definite NO to undecided (and i'm working on him haha). However, the polls are showing a NO lead of anything between 14 and 6 points I think. It is very very difficult to know how it will go to be honest. I think it'll be a close one, which i'm not sure is in anyones best interests. I feel like that with the pound issue too, I think if they are playing dirty and scaremongering, it is disgraceful. But only time and a yes vote will tell us for sure. No papers have come out as yet for YES apart from the Herald, although The Sun is apparently coming around a bit to it (not sure as I don't read it!). Will be very intersting to see what these last few weeks bring!

I'm scottish and voting No.
I like things as they are, and TBH i don't really like Alex Salmond much. I think that although Scots provide a lot of cash to Westminster etc (as do everyone else), but we get things in return.
I am a proud scot, but i am also British. I like that :)

Exactly this^^^^^^

The fact that I can't stand Alex Salmond, pretty much puts the last nail in the coffin!

I think the vote is 14th September!!

It's the 18th September... unless you're a no voter, then it's the 20th :haha:

Jeez, shows you how much attention I've been paying! Glad:dohh: some us are paying attention cos I still have no clue what is going on. I'm still waiting on definite answers, I think decisions as important as this should be made with the right information and not just its and buts! I'm still voting no.

Remember ladies it isn't really a vote for Alex Salmond we will hold a general election not long after to vote in the new government who will run the independent country.
Given the SNP are a one trick pony, an independent Scotland, once they have reached their goal they will have to either become like every other party have lots of policies on how they think the country should be run or they will disband with their members joining other political parties.

To be honest the more I read and the more I see that smarmy git David Cameron the more I'm leaning towards a big YES I don't know! 😩

Who watched the debate last night? I thought Salmond did well, although the cross examination for both guys was a bit ugly! To be expected I suppose. I reckon it's going straight to the line now, not sure I'm convinced by the polls!

I caught it mid way through so didn't watch it, but hoping on demand will have it so I can record it. Watched a very interesting programme the other day about the ramifications for the rest of the UK if they go independent, and they explained the British government have very deliberately chosen to not be seen to be doing any kind of contingency planning if a yes vote does happen because if they do it's like admitting it could happen and they don't think it will and don't want to give Salmond the ammo that they are needing to prepare lol. Anyway I can't say I understand much of it at all, but if I am honest I think Scotland has got Westminster by the balls it's win win for them, part of me wonders if this whole thing is not to do with independence but wanting more devolution. The main reason I really hope it's a no vote now is due to the military aspects, and *i duck here* the outcome for trident. I've not really heard anything that has persuaded me in the slightest that a yes vote would work well for anyone this far but I know I will be getting most of he he biased info so I will try to catch that debate. I just hope if Scotland yet again gets a good deal that Wales and other regions of England out of London start demanding more too, the programme was saying how England doesn't have certain controls over parts of Welsh and Scottish politics but that Wales and Scotland MPs have votes in entirely English matters in education and health, someone mentioned perhaps a more federal system with separate states and different days of the week concentrated on different countries in parliament, would be more appropriate which sounds interesting.

You should watch it! I think Salmond puts forward some very good points, and he captures the emotional opinion of YESSERS very eloquently.

I'm not so sure that Scotland has Westminster by the balls... I think these "promises" of more powers are just a tactic to win NO votes, unfortunately. After a NO vote, there is absolutely no obligation for any of these parties to actually produce the goods, and if, heaven forbid, UKIP get any power in next years general election (i.e in some sort of coalition if there is a hung parliament), then we will get nothing. All the Westminster parties will be too preoccupied about next years general election and our voice will slip into the background. This is obviously a very cynical view though!

Your worry about the military and Trident is very understandable given your personal situation. Does your OH work at Faslane? I personally don't agree with nuclear weapons (neither does the vast majority of Scots), and I don't agree that the billions spent replacing Trident is acceptable given the levels of poverty/ state of the NHS in this country (and rUK). But I know that not everyone thinks the same! I'm sure they would be able to relocate the base, albeit at a very high price. But i'm not sure of anywhere else that would agree to have Europes largest nuclear base on their doorstep.

I absolutely agree with you, I think England also gets a poor deal out of the Union! It is certainly not right for Scottish MP's to vote on English only matters. The great thing about this referendum is that it has opened peoples eyes up to issues that they normally wouldn't have thought of- and that is only a good thing.

You gotta love the BBC! Reporting on how "supporters of Independence" claim Salmond won the debate"- yeah them along with every other media outlet, flash polls and even 70+% of Better Together! How the debate this time was "bad tempered" although the last one was even bloody worse! It's really frustrating to see this biased reporting. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but, honestly, after paying such close attention to these proceedings I will never trust the BEEB again!

I don't really have an opinion on it but I do have Scottish friends on my Facebook and see quite a lot of links being shared and the sharer will say things like this is for the prats who are voting no (I imagine it's the same the other way round but I just happen to have yes voters on my fb lol). I realise it's highly emotive but feel that the name calling is uncalled for.

Not seen any name calling. But I certainly feel that is we don't go for it well get dumped on later.
If Westmister cared about Scotland they'd be building this new high speed to go from edinburgh at least not stop at Newcastle in the north east.
Yes I do agree it's unfair that scottish MPs have a say in English only affairs. I also feel the more northern and western areas don't get a good deal from Westmister either. But it also gets put across we are a huge bourdon to the rUK because of the Barnett formula ( something that is bound to come under pressure in a no vote ) but if we are such a burden then why to they want to keep us?

I was a no voter but now I'm a Yes.

I'm voting yes there are just certain things that stand out at me and worry me if we stay united.

Not seen any name calling. But I certainly feel that is we don't go for it well get dumped on later.
If Westmister cared about Scotland they'd be building this new high speed to go from edinburgh at least not stop at Newcastle in the north east.
Yes I do agree it's unfair that scottish MPs have a say in English only affairs. I also feel the more northern and western areas don't get a good deal from Westmister either. But it also gets put across we are a huge bourdon to the rUK because of the Barnett formula ( something that is bound to come under pressure in a no vote ) but if we are such a burden then why to they want to keep us?

I was a no voter but now I'm a Yes.

The High Speed Train stops at Leeds & Manchester, not Newcastle, with future proposals for the line to extend to Newcastle (from Leeds) & to Glasgow & Edinburgh.

HS2 is the biggest waste of money going, I am praying it is scrapped end of, not extended!

HS2 is the biggest waste of money going, I am praying it is scrapped end of, not extended!

I completely agree to be fair. I was just pointing out that with the current plans it stops at Leeds (about 120ish miles south of Newcastle), however there are plans to extend it. No one in the North East/West will have no use of it yet we are still paying for the buggar. Anyway....that's a whole other topic.....

I completely agree to be fair. I was just pointing out that with the current plans it stops at Leeds (about 120ish miles south of Newcastle), however there are plans to extend it. No one in the North East/West will have no use of it yet we are still paying for the buggar. Anyway....that's a whole other topic.....

Very few people in the country will benefit, massive amounts of money to make one particular route a bit faster...why not improve the whole system which is a bit of a shambles than make one expensive line....but you're right wrong thread lol.

Its a bit rubbish tbh, but so many people are saying its offensive to women and i don't really understand why?

Hmm I think it is offensive. To suggest that women are so ill-informed about the debate that they don't even know the name of the first minister is offensive. The part about children is also offensive! If they have their faces in their phones all day they are probably far more clued up than someone who just gets their info from the TV. To me it just comes across as saying that we are incapable of getting on with being mothers etc and being able to process such manly political questions at the same time, and then come come to our decision one day over a cup of tea without even knowing the name of the first minister! If they are trying to sway the undecideds i'll thank them for the YES votes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->